Off Road Trailer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Off Road Trailer

After selling my last one, I am building another off road trailer for myself. Here are some pics of my trailer build.

Started by building the frame, dimensions are 4x6' using 2x3" rectangular tubing and 2x2" cross members. I am using CJ7 rear leaf spings for the suspension, not too stiff like trailer springs.

I had to make the hangers on the plasma table, because the springs are wider than trailer springs. Also, used a 3.5K axle.

I used 2x3" tubing for the tongue.

More to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Wheeler

Can't wait to see it.

sent from surthriv mobile 1 command center

Survive+Thrive

post #3 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Off Road Trailer

I ran the tongue to the front hangers for strength.

Installed the hubs. I'm not going with brakes, I don't think it's necessary because the trailer will be so light.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/
Welded a receiver tube on the front so I can change from a traditional coupler to an off road coupler. I welded up the bottom, slapped some paint on and flipped it over.

35s look look good.

Front hanger, bullet proof, 3/16" and all boxed up.

Making the sides out of 1x2" tubing.

Looks like a trailer

more to come.
Steve

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nice!

Info:

|
post #5 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Off Road Trailer

Found some 3/4" plywood for the floor, put some stain on it.

Welded some sheet metal on the sides and added tons of tie down points to the inside.

Made some very strong tailgate hinges and added the tailgate.

Added a 3k swivel jack

I attached it to the jeep and went for a run around the neighbor hood. Here it is attached to my JK.

I am having sheet metal formed to make some extra wide Jeep style fenders. They should be in tomorrow. I'll post more pics as I progress, I still need to add exterior tie downs, lights and wiring, make the off road coupler and add jerry can/ice chest holders.
Steve

Steve
post #6 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Very cool! I have absolutely no need for a trailer, or the room for one. But I'd like to build one.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good Steve.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #8 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Looks good Steve.
Thanks,
Hopefully Ill have it painted by Friday.

Steve
post #9 of 36 Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragons View Post
Thanks,
Hopefully Ill have it painted by Friday.
I just saw it Sunday you didn't have all that done

You are working your butt on it
post #10 of 36 Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Very Nice! I will someday be building one. Can't wait to see the finished product...
post #11 of 36 Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

off road trailer

A little more progress today.
Got the fenders hung. I had some sheet metal formed and I made some fenders.

I added some tubing to the tongue so I can use the space for a ice chest, or what ever can go up there.

possible jerry can mounting area.

I also got it painted today, I'll get some pics up soon.
Steve

Steve
post #12 of 36 Old 08-17-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Off road trailer

They look much better painted.

Made some simple bolt style latches for the tailgate. My camera sucks, sorry.

Almost done, need to screw the floor down, add the wiring and lights and make the off road swivel hitch.
More to come.

Steve
post #13 of 36 Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Wheeler

Thats pretty sexy. What are you at for empty weight so far?
post #14 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-JK View Post
Thats pretty sexy. What are you at for empty weight so far?
I'm not sure about the weight, I will go through the invoices for the steel and look at the weight. I am guessing around 400 pounds, but I'll find out and post it. I waned to keep it as light as possible so the JK dosen't have to work any harder than necessary on the trails when towing.

Steve
post #15 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice looking trailer I'm working on a trailer project myself just wondering where you picked up the hubs with same lug pattern as the jk is that something I could get from a trailer supplier?

Black Jeep
post #16 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkruss View Post
Nice looking trailer I'm working on a trailer project myself just wondering where you picked up the hubs with same lug pattern as the jk is that something I could get from a trailer supplier?
Any trailer supplier should have the 5x5 bolt pattern for the hubs you need. Many trailer manufactures use them on their 3.5k trailers. You can even go with trailer brakes and get the drum and brake assembly, you just have to make sure that your axle has the brake plate behind the spindle.
Steve

Steve
post #17 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Thanks man, I shouldn't need brakes but it does look like I will need a longer axle to clear the sides of the trailer and the back spacing of the stock jk wheel.This is the base I'm working with its an old sears trailer I believe from the late 60's.Attachment 54807

Black Jeep

Last edited by jkruss; 02-18-2015 at 04:39 PM.
post #18 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

Looks sweet. Can't wait to see how it comes along.
post #19 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks man, I shouldn't need brakes but it does look like I will need a longer axle to clear the sides of the trailer and the back spacing of the stock jk wheel.This is the base I'm working with its an old sears trailer I believe from the late 60's.Attachment 54807
I'm just guessing, but you will probably need another axle anyways. The current hubs on the market may not fit on the spindle on that trailer. I have had issues with finding hubs or bearings for trailers that old because the design of the spindle is different. If you are going to need an axle anyways to push the wheels out, then you won't have to worry about it.
I would get the wheels and tires that you are going to use on the trailer first, then mock them up where they should go, then measure hub face to hub face and have an axle built to that measurement or you can see if you can find one that is close to that measurement. Just leave enough room between the inside of the tire and the outside of the trailer to compensate for travel and flex so the tires don't hit the trailer.
Good luck and share some pics of the build. Having a trailer for your jeep is like having a removable pick up truck bed, very convenient.
Steve

Steve
post #20 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Granite Guru

Very nice trailer man!
post #21 of 36 Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for the info never thought about the flex and rubbing the trailer.i plan on keeping the build simple some paint and bedliner the inside, the axle swap will be the majority of it for now.I wish I had the access and skill to build something like yours that thing is awesome.A guy in one of the local jeep clubs has a m 416 trailer axle for sale any thoughts on that pros cons.

Black Jeep

Last edited by jkruss; 08-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

Quote:
Thanks for the info never thought about the flex and rubbing the trailer.
unless the trailer is mounted rigidly to the frame of the tow rig, there should be little "flex" like you would see on a two axle rig. all of the "flex" is taken up by twist in the hitch assy. MOST of the suspension movement is practically up and down. i've seen many trailers work fine with enough of a gap between the inner sidewall and trailer to fit your hand... about an inch or so. i'd be more concerned with lateral shift as bushings wear or loading of the trailer.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #23 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for the info never thought about the flex and rubbing the trailer.i plan on keeping the build simple some paint and bedliner the inside, the axle swap will be the majority of it for now.I wish I had the access and skill to build something like yours that thing is awesome.A guy in one of the local jeep clubs has a m 416 trailer axle for sale any thoughts on that pros cons.

BUY it. I fit's in good shape and not to expensive.

"Freedom through Strength"
post #24 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the m 416 axle, so it may be fine, but if you use an axle and spindle that is newer, the hubs, seals and bearings will be readily available. Again i'm not sure about that axle, but you will need to see how difficult it will be to find a hub that fits your bolt pattern.
As far as flex, I use softer CJ springs so they will be a softer ride. I built an offroad trailer with 3.5k axle springs and it was too stiff with such a light trailer on the bumpy dirt roads, with a result of bouncing off the ground when hitting a bump at high speeds.
I have about 4 inches of travel with the CJ springs and it has worked well. You can't load 3k on the trailer, but I have loaded a trailer with 1k in scrap steel and it didn't bottom out. I guess it depends what you are going to use it for. I use mine to carry my boys MX bikes and use for camping and running through trails, so it works for me.
Hope I helped,
Steve

Steve
post #25 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Trailer looks good thanks for showing it. I have been thinking about a trailer for my Jk and this gives me some ideas. Noticed a cummins in the background hmmm?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode