Sound Advise for good sound. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Sound Advise for good sound.

I thought I would write in and give a little info on the JK's stock vocals. I cannot speak for the Infinity system but stock is horrid. This was my first time being so dedicated to my dash and sound bar speakers, all of my life I had just dropped the bass all the way down on them and added a sub with a independent controll. This kept me from blowing the factory speakers and saved on some cash that I could redirect to my sub or amp.

Now being older and having kids a sub beating right behind them was out of the question and left me with the trick of changing stock with hopes of getting high quality full range sound.

I MESSED UP! I didn't do enough research and have just now found the right sound after three full sets of speakers. I starte with Infinity and that was a joke so after 4 days they were yanked and Rocford Fosgate Punch Series were used this time with Alpines new Power pack (will explain that later). Still was weak in the mids and bass areas so I went back to the drawing board and spent a lot o time listing & researching and ended with 6 1/2" Alpine Type R in dash and sound bar. Wow, they are amazing but I must say that the sound bar is far from a decent acoustic environment. Jeep was kind enough to supply everyone with a outstanding dash speaker enclosure.

I am currently working with my sound shop to improve on this and also building a box for an 8" sub for under each front seat with no mods required. As for the amp it was so small I was able to mount it behind my glovebox with no interference. Also this is great to help reduce the cance of theft. With no signs of aftermarket or upgrade who would want Jeep speakers. Please shoot me any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LAFreedom View Post
I thought I would write in and give a little info on the JK's stock vocals. I cannot speak for the Infinity system but stock is horrid. This was my first time being so dedicated to my dash and sound bar speakers, all of my life I had just dropped the bass all the way down on them and added a sub with a independent controll. This kept me from blowing the factory speakers and saved on some cash that I could redirect to my sub or amp.

Now being older and having kids a sub beating right behind them was out of the question and left me with the trick of changing stock with hopes of getting high quality full range sound.

I MESSED UP! I didn't do enough research and have just now found the right sound after three full sets of speakers. I starte with Infinity and that was a joke so after 4 days they were yanked and Rocford Fosgate Punch Series were used this time with Alpines new Power pack (will explain that later). Still was weak in the mids and bass areas so I went back to the drawing board and spent a lot o time listing & researching and ended with 6 1/2" Alpine Type R in dash and sound bar. Wow, they are amazing but I must say that the sound bar is far from a decent acoustic environment. Jeep was kind enough to supply everyone with a outstanding dash speaker enclosure.

I am currently working with my sound shop to improve on this and also building a box for an 8" sub for under each front seat with no mods required. As for the amp it was so small I was able to mount it behind my glovebox with no interference. Also this is great to help reduce the cance of theft. With no signs of aftermarket or upgrade who would want Jeep speakers. Please shoot me any questions.
Ive been looking at Alpine's Powerpack but have not been able to talk to anyone yet. Tell me more.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

It's 45x4 or 90x2 bridged. I love it bc it's so small, you can basically mount it anywhere you want. I put mine in the dash to reduce the chance of theft and it getting wet. To improve you sound aftermarket speakers are great but to get anywhere close to their full potential you need at minimum a aftermarket head unit or amp. I chose to leave my stock radio to maintain factory look. To help even further I downloaded an app for my iPhone called EqU and use the aux plug to further improve on music quality.
Did that cover it or do you have questions about wiring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

The EQu is a cool app if you have a iPhone and use the stock radio still.
Can make as many bands as you can squeeze onto screen.
Helps a lot.
I upgraded head unit to a Pioneer 880 with the 16 band eq and all the other fancy options. Made the stock speakers sound ok till can be replaced.
Eq screenshot

You smell that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 PM
JKO Addict!

That's great info. Dud you use one of the PAC plugs for the amp or a line level converter

Bryan
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Slow and Low

Wish I understood this shit. I've been pulling the top and doors for years, for optimum sound.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Wheeler

2 15" alpine type Rs on a 700watt kenwood amp brought up a lot of sound
But if your looking to improve quality of sound which you are hearing, Id say change the head unit and IMO Memphis has the best range for our particular size of speakers. however, you need to listen to speakers before you buy them. And do good research on a head unit. I will probably be getting something in the kenwood line of headunits with garman navi pandora.. all that jazz. great product and can integrate. also not downgrading headunit capability.

08 JKU "Saraha"
3.5 Rock Krawler X factor lift
Teraflex 5150 Shocks
37-12.5-R16.5 BFG Baja TA
16.5" Trail worthy Fab Double Beadlocks
Synergy Ball joints & Gussets
Front Tatton Driveshaft
Rear Cromeoly Nitro axle shafts
Superchips
Smittybilt XRC front & rear armor

02 Grand Cherokee Limited
4.5" Long arm Rock Krawler
35/12.5/17 Open Country MT on Methods
Alloy rear chromoly shafts
IRO crossmember
DBM Rear quarter armor
much more to list... and
much... much more to come...
post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
That's great info. Dud you use one of the PAC plugs for the amp or a line level converter

Bryan
Please understand that the PAC interfaces level your signals. They deck all of the levels to flat. Meaning, you can no longer control them, and will need an aftermarket sound processor to adjust your hi/mid/lo.

I just went with the 2ohm infiniti reference series speakers due to their cheap price, and the fact that it doesn't take a lot to push them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode