*FREE* Topographical Maps For Garmin GPS's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

*FREE* Topographical Maps For Garmin GPS's

So this is a write up I did a few years ago and thought I'd rehash ita for your guys since who doesn't like free stuff. Since originally doing this write up I've learned this seems to work on most Garmin models. For you guys with the factory Garmin NAV with MyGig, if you're savvy enough you I suppose you "might" be able to make this work though I cannot vouch for it. Try it out and post up on your success of failure.

* First and foremost you have to determine if your computer has Garmin's Mapsource program. If you already do, then you're able to skip a few steps. If you don't you'll need to progress to the next step. If you are unsure whether you do or do not follow this pathway. --->Start Menu--->All Programs--->Look for a Garmin folder which should have the Mapsoure icon. If you do not have either, then you will need to move to the next step.

- You\'ll need to down load Garmin's Base Camp software. Click on the following link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4435 You will need to down Garmin's Training Center software in order to download the Mapsource update which will allow you upload topo maps to your Garmin GPS. Click on this link to get the Mapsource update: http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209 (In the event you need or want additional information on how to get a free copy of Garmin\'s Mapsource program you can click on this link. http://freegeographytools.com/2007/g...ource-for-free )
- Now that you have installed Mapsource you are ready to start downloading maps to your computer and upload them to your Garmin GPS. As I eventually learned to do this is not overly difficult but I did need to do some additional reading. To read more on downloading maps to your computer and uploading to your GPS click here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...mapsettoolkit/
- Once you are ready to begin downloading maps just click on the following link and select the state you wish to download. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ Depending on the state you may have multiple options with which to choose. Choose the link for the map and click the download windows link. Doing so should trigger a pop up window asking if you want to run, save or cancel. I would recommend run and let it install.
- Once you have downloaded the map(s) you want open up the Garmin Mapsource program and in the upper left corner there should be a drop down box which will show the which maps you have on your computer. At this point, select which map from the drop down and it will display in the map area in the main part of the screen. Using your mouse, press the left button and drag it over the area of the map you want to highlight. It should light up the grid a yellow color and the box on the left side of the screen will start populating with the various files which comprise the map area you selected. My recommendation would be to do this for all of map area you wish to upload to your GPS. Once you have all the map files set that you want to send to your GPS click the button at the top to "Send to Device" and the process will begin to start uploading your newly acquired maps to your GPS.

Below are a few points I learned along the way that I will share:
* I learned that you cannot update individual topo map files as the new one will over write the previous file.
* Another point I will make is that your GPS is somewhat limited in the amount of on-board memory it does have. I was able to upload 24k topo maps for IL and IN and have a small amount of memory left. If you're decide to go hog wild and download numerous states or areas I would recommend getting an SD card with a few gigabytes of storage on it.

In conclusion I would definitely recommend the above. It's been a few weeks since I got everything situated on my Nuvi350 and so far so good. I've noticed a subtle difference on GPS with additional detail which was not there previously for bodies of water, elevation and so on. If you decide to take advantage of this, good luck and I hope you enjoy.

***Update*** I've had a few different Garmin GPS units since I originally did this write up. Now while not much has changed with installing the maps on the unit, some of the topo maps don't have transparency so they don't overlay over the basemaps like before. Not the end of the world or anything, but you do have to drill down in the settings and shut off the basemaps if you wish to use the topo maps. Currently I've got the maps installed on the Garmin Nuvi2597 with a 16GB microSD card (max supported).

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 02-06-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice write-up, thanks.

A few years back I tried to figure all this out and just gave up and bought the Garmin 100k US and 24k North West & South West topo's. Although the basemaps in the Nuvi's seem to have just about every named trail I've ever been on, it's nice to be able to see the contours and wet spots before you get there.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i've had two handheld GPS units. both magellan. i've always been happy with them... but they dont have that good of software support. garmin's is better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

A little necro thread revival.

I needed to bring this one back since I forgot where to go and what to do to add maps.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode