DIY Spidershade Style Top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
DIY Spidershade Style Top

First off I cannot take credit for this as I got the idea from a similar project on another forum.

So I decided it was time for some shade when the top is off mainly because my 2 year old yells at the sun when he riding with the top off and my wife lacks pigment which subsequently means she gets sun burned real easy. So here is how you can have yourself your homemade spidershade for as little as $40.

Parts:
Lowes: Phifer 48"x 84" Charcoal Super Solar Screen $21 http://www.lowes.com/pd_45067-55-300...RL=&facetInfo=
Ace: 9" Bungee Balls 2 packs of ten $10 http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-47302.html
Ace: Grommet kit 3/8" ID with tool $9 http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292916

Labor(optional):
It cost me $20 to have the material sewn since this guy ain't touching a sewing machine

Time:
About 6 beers start to finish

Instructions:

1.This was done on an unlimited so 2 door measurements will be obviously different. I simply brought the roll of solar screen to the tailoring shop and had them cut the length to 64" and fold over a sew a 2" border all around. I can cut straight or sew so the $20 was well spent.

2. Figure out where you are going to install the grommets. I started in the front by by centering the material and marking it at the 3 loops that attach to the windshield. Next lay out the material on flat ground and and fold it over so that you can mark the spots on the rear of the shade that need grommets. Install the 6 grommets and also install grommets at each corner. Also take into consideration which side of the shade you want facing down and make sure the pretty side of the grommets are facing down.

3. Use your bungees to secure the shade to the 3 windshield loops and rear roll bar excluding the corners for now. All balls toward the sky. NOTE: the center bungee cord needs to be wrap around and under the rear light so that it doesn't keep turning it on. Ask me how I know.

4. Now for the rear corners: Unzip the rear roll bar at the corner and you will see a bolt head. Remove the bolt and install 2 washers and reinstall bolt. This is so that you have an anchor for your bungee. Attach bungee to shade, wrap the cord around the bar and anchor it to the bolt head. Repeat on other side.

5. Now for the front corners: Removed windshield corner interior trim by removing bolt and sun visors. there is a bolt in there that you will use as an anchor remove it add 2 washers and reinstall. Attach bungee to shade wrap it around the roll bar through that tiny gap anchor to bolt head. Repeat on other side.

6.Sound bar area: Measure 19-1/4" eye to eye from the front corner grommet to the sound bar and install grommet. Repeat other side
Measure the same distance from the rear corners toward the sound bar and install grommets.

7. Adjust your bungees as required by either cutting them to length or simply putting a knot in them.

I have tested mine up to 80mph with very little flapping. I will be installing 4 more grommets 2 on the forward side of the soundbar and 2 on the rear side of the sound bar. If you have a hard top you will need to install 2 grommets so that screws for the Freedom top can pass through the sunshade.

Edit: I just installed the 4 additional grommets and bungees. Not only does it look better but it now is flap free.

There you have it a cheap Spider shade style top.
Attached Images

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 07-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

The almost final product, once I add those last 4 grommets and bungees it should get rid of the wrinkles.
Attached Images

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 07-23-2012 at 07:57 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Granite Guru

Good work, I like it!

2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU - 2.5" Rough Country, 35x12.50 MT Baja MTZ, 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers, Trektop NX, KC 130 SlimLights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the write up! I will have to give this a try. Great Job BTW!

08 Unlimited, Auto
Red Rock Crystal
Rubi Sliders | 2.5 RC Lift | RC Q-Disco's | Misc Skid plates | Hella Black Magic | MBRP Windshield mount | CB with Firestik LG3-M2 mount w/ 3' Firestik | 285/70/17 MT's | 17x9 Xd Series Matte Black Addict
TexasJK.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode