DIY painting your aluminum wheels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

DIY painting your aluminum wheels

This is really easy to do and the best thing it's cheap! Under 20 bucks. I used advanced auto online and used the p20 code to get 20% off then just went to the store to pick it all up. On the first wheel I tried using regular satin black paint and you could tell it had been painted and I didn't like the color it was just too black. I went back and picked up some wheel paint. And what a difference it made.

What all I used.

[IMG][/IMG]

First off you need to wash or clean the wheel real good. Then go over it with some kind of thinner.

Next get a sanding pad like a scotch pad I used a pad I just had around the garage. You want a fine grit. Scuff the wheel where you are painting and scuff it real good to where it is kinda dull looking. Make sure you get the edges real well. Because if the paint is going to come off it will start there first so you want the primer to stick good.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you have air, give it a good blow to clean off the surface. Then get your thinner and wipe it down real good. I used a second clean cloth to wipe it down again to get all the dust off the wheel.

Grab your primer make sure you bought etching primer it will stick well to the wheel. I have tried both Rustoleum and Duplicolor and they both work the same but the Duplicolor seems to dry much faster and leave less dust residue. Do two coats of primer taking your time no rushing and remember you can always spin the wheel around and spray from inside to the hard to get areas. After set the wheel aside in the shade and start on the rest then go back to the first one for second coat. Oh yeah and make sure you have your valve stem taped up and what ever else you don't want paint on. If tire is on the wheel use index cards to stick in the sidewall of tire and rim lip.

[IMG][/IMG]

Use your sanding pad and lightly go over the wheels after there good and dry should be 1 hour if you use Dupilcolor if Rustoleum is used you better let them sit over night it goes on much thicker. If you see any of the aluminum while sanding spray touch up with primer and let it sit till you can go back and lightly sand over that area.

The easy part. Grab your wheel spray and start spraying on all the corners and tight spots first. IF you have a deep wheel start at the center with short bursts and work your way out. This keeps you from hitting the bottom of the can on the freshly painted lip. Two coats of paint should be enough you could put three but I think two are plenty unless you have painted it heavy somewhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave to dry for over 4 to 6 hours.

I did not use any clear coat because I just like the way they look and if they ever need touched up it will be a breeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Those look great. I'm looking at painting mine when I get back. Thanks for the tip on the index cards.

THE VERY BEST IN OFFROAD PARTS!!!
Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 JKU Sahara that is a constant work in progress
post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Frankie,
What kind of wheels are those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Raceline allied bead locks

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
JKO Addict!

looks great i plan to do this on my stock rubi wheels, the index card trick is a great idea i never thought about that.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode