1310 Tatton Driveshaft install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

1310 Tatton Driveshaft install

Well my rear driveshaft has been making an increasing tick/grind noise since about... last June, so rather than have it fail at 70mph on the highway I decided to upgrade. For my 2dr auto with ~3in of lift, I knew it would be neccessary at some point I guess I was just trying to milk it as long as possible. I ordered my 1310 Tatton from Marcus @ River City Offroad, and recieved it pretty quickly. I measured 2ft exactly flange to flange to place the order, and the one I recieved from Curtis Tatton is perfect length. Anyway here goes the install...

You will need:
12pt 8mm socket or gearwrench (those little things are amazing)
- for the bolts to remove the driveshaft
1 1/4in socket
-to remove the nut Transfer Case flange
1 5/16in socket
-to remove pinion nut (axle side flange)
Assorted extensions for these sockets will help out
Torque Wrench
Breaker bar or similar apparatus
Gear puller avail
-to remove stock flanges
BFH we had multiple, but the sledge worked best
-for shaft removal from flanges/ random anger issues that may arise
Wheel chock(s)
2 Jack Stands and Jack
-for setting Pinion Angle after new shaft installation

Things that help but are not entirely neccessary:
-Air tools: Impact, air wrench, etc.
-Mechanix Gloves
-Tarp/cardboard/creeper: so you don't have to roll around on pavement
-12pk of Fat Tire

To begin with toss a wheel chock behind (and/or in front of) your tire just in case while you're working underneath it, something stupid happens and your Jeep begins to roll. (BTW You are removing the item that keeps your Jeep from moving while in park...)

I removed the axle side of the stock shaft first. Start by removing the bottom four bolts with your 8mm socket,

then remove your wheel chock and move the jeep back a few inches so you can access the remaining four bolts. Put wheel chock(s) back in place!

Now is when you need that big hammer, take the sledge and tap the side of the flange to get that end of the shaft off. then I propped it up on top of the flange to keep it out of the way.

Move on to the Transfer Case side and remove the most accessible bolts to you, then hop in your Jeep and shift into N so you can spin the shaft. Now get the last bolts out.

Toss that old shaft off to the side (gently if you plan on selling/ giving it away)

Now it's time to check your preload on the pinion, etc. With your 1 5/16 socket and Torque Wrench Check the torque spec on the pinion nut before removing it with your Breaker Bar Write it down, or make a mental note, this is torque spec you'll be using when re-installing (I also marked it with a grease pen, but due to posible differences in new flange and stock flange thickness, this may not be accurate.

Now Install new rear flange that comes with the Tatton shaft. Simple

Note: There is a dust shield when you remove the rear flange, I did not reuse it. I have heard of people reusing it, I really don't know the implications either way

Now, move onto the Transfer case side. Check torque spec, which should be in the 90-130lb range (may not be as important considering there is no crush sleeve, preload, etc as with the rear. Please correct me if I'm wrong). Remove nut, and install new flange.
Important! Before installing your new flange on the Transfer Case side, put a nice bead of RTV silicone around the splines of the new flange Important!
If you don't, this will happen! Notice the wonderful spray of auto trans fluid on my undercarriage

Now that your flanges are on, grab a 12pt 8mm (gearwrench is perfect for this) and bolt up your new Tatton Shaft! Tighten these bolts tight, but DO NOT torque on them too hard. They are only 8mm bolts, it isn't very difficult to due some damage.

Now it is time to set your pinion angle, this important so you don't destroy your new DS. Before installing my uppers, my pinion angle was 10-12 degrees I used RK double adjustable uppers for this. If you buy only uppers and use your factory lowers, the RK double adjustable uppers are 3/4in too long so you will need to contact them (or Marcus) to place a special order or choose another pair. If you guys want a write up on pinion angle, I can add it to this one or make another. Just let me know!

Thanks again to Marcus @ RCO, RK, and Tatton for making this an eaasy process!

08 2dr JK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
All BJ’s are not the same man… I am sure you have had a good and a bad BJ in your time.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 06-17-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice ...been very happy with my Tattons.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Wheeler

I would ne interested in a write-up for the pinion angle since im in the process with Marcus on ordering this exact same setup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Alrighty, when I get some free time I'll pull the rear tires and take some pics for reference and add it to this thread

08 2dr JK

Quote:
All BJ’s are not the same man… I am sure you have had a good and a bad BJ in your time.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Wheeler

What type of 1 5/16 socket did you use because the 3/4 drive sockets dont fit in the new flange so I was just wondering?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ridder View Post
What type of 1 5/16 socket did you use because the 3/4 drive sockets dont fit in the new flange so I was just wondering?

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-67960.html

Thats what i used...
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Any vibes?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ridder View Post
Random cheapie from autozone, it is tight but fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Any vibes?
Nope, drove it almost 3 hours to Michigan from Indy. No vibes and I had it up to 80mph

08 2dr JK

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode