My DIY Bumpers....Cheap Yet Strong!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My DIY Bumpers....Cheap Yet Strong!!

Well, got tired of looking at overpriced bumpers, so I broke out the welder.

Bought 10 feet of 6 inch channel iron. It's 1/4" thick. Rear weighs 44lbs, front 70.

The rear:

Welded 3" channel to it for mounting, using existing holes in the frame.

Added D-Rings, got to love them!!

Done!!

Pics of front to come!!

Pics of my Jeep....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 2 Door Red Rocker, 6 speed, AFE intake, 2.5 Terraflex plus 1", 5.13's, rear locked, 35" Cooper STT's on 15" Ions, EVO Sleeves & Gussets, DIY Bumpers & stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Front Bumper

The front was quite a bit harder. Wanted a winch bumper. Had to have the winch as low as possible to keep the radiator unabstructed & for sheer strength, while keeping the bumper high & tight for maximum approach angles.
I happily accomplished all three.

Thought I'd dress it up a bit, so I fortyfived the corners!

Here's a TJ winch plate I modified. It was designed to be bolted to the top of the frame. Too high for me.

Here you see the 2.5" angle I used to mount the winch plate to. Also notice the big allen wrench pieces I welded to the bottom. This is to place my Hi-Lift jack in to prevent it from sliding out on me. Works great.

Testing out the Jack!

Here's the winch plate in place.

After cutting out the winch line slot. Made it extra roomy for the synthetic rope.

Found some massive D-Rings at "Cuthroat4x4". I have nothing but good to say about these folks. Top notch for sure.

They keyed them through the 1/2" plate & tig welded them on the back as wekk as the front. Very beefy to say the least.

Here's some 1/4" plates I cut out for the push bar to be welded to.

Finally time to prime & paint.

One of my favorite parts of the build. Installing the D-Rings that I love so much, lol.

Walaa!!

Pics of my Jeep....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 2 Door Red Rocker, 6 speed, AFE intake, 2.5 Terraflex plus 1", 5.13's, rear locked, 35" Cooper STT's on 15" Ions, EVO Sleeves & Gussets, DIY Bumpers & stuff.

Last edited by 07XMan2Door; 11-04-2012 at 06:31 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Wheeler

That's exactly the rear bumper I want for my 08JKU...want to make another? Just kidding, it is exactly what I have been looking for style size. Great job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev View Post
That's exactly the rear bumper I want for my 08JKU...want to make another? Just kidding, it is exactly what I have been looking for style size. Great job!
Thanks Man! I hear ya, everything about our jeeps is square, (except for the headlamps, lol) So I wanted to get away from the "moulded" platic look that so many bumpers are styled after. Round corners are for fast cars, powerful trucks. Jeeps are all about slow, simple, hard lines.

As far as building for others. These things are pretty easy to build. That being said, with my simple tools, they are still a great deal of work & take the better part of the day. By the time I figured materials, time, shipping & profit, I think you'ld be calling Poison Spyder or having a local welder fab them up for you.

If I were you, I'd remove my rear bumper, remove the spare, grab some pics & find a local welder. He could fab it up for a reasonable price & there would be no shipping involved. The rear is a slam dunk. The front will give him some trouble.

Glad you liked them. Any more Q's just ask!

Another angle with slider inserted, hope it helps.

Pics of my Jeep....

Last edited by 07XMan2Door; 06-02-2012 at 05:06 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like the homemade bumpers. All part of the Jeep tough and built it myself theme. I also made my rock sliders. Congrats on your new bumpers.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I love the bumpers simple and purpose built.

its all about the crawl ratio.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door View Post
Thanks Man! I hear ya, everything about our jeeps is square, (except for the headlamps, lol) So I wanted to get away from the "moulded" platic look that so many bumpers are styled after. Round corners are for fast cars, powerful trucks. Jeeps are all about slow, simple, hard lines.

As far as building for others. These things are pretty easy to build. That being said, with my simple tools, they are still a great deal of work & take the better part of the day. By the time I figured materials, time, shipping & profit, I think you'ld be calling Poison Spyder or having a local welder fab them up for you.

If I were you, I'd remove my rear bumper, remove the spare, grab some pics & find a local welder. He could fab it up for a reasonable price & there would be no shipping involved. The rear is a slam dunk. The front will give him some trouble.

Glad you liked them. Any more Q's just ask!

Another angle with slider inserted, hope it helps.

I agree, i don't want a metal bumper that looks like a plastic bumper. Taking my rear off today. May see how far I can get myself. Been a few years since I welded but definitely worth a try. Thanks again!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-03-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I like the homemade bumpers. All part of the Jeep tough and built it myself theme. I also made my rock sliders. Congrats on your new bumpers.
Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you. I just went through your entire build thread, love what you've done my friend. Man, you're not afraid to wheel that beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petef550 View Post
I love the bumpers simple and purpose built.
Thanks for the kind words Sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited.Kev View Post
I agree, i don't want a metal bumper that looks like a plastic bumper. Taking my rear off today. May see how far I can get myself. Been a few years since I welded but definitely worth a try. Thanks again!
You bet. Even if you fab everything up, if you're not confident in the strength of your welds, take them to a shop & have it migged or tigged. Wouldn't cost much at all. Don't want something to come apart during a recovery. Make sure to post pics when you get er done!!

Pics of my Jeep....

post #9 of 15 Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Granite Guru

Great idea welding on tabs for the high lift to sit between to prevent slippage!

Northridge 4x4 Krawl Off-Road PolyPerformance/Synergy Suspension
RockKrawler

08 JK unlimited - No groceries allowed
post #10 of 15 Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAddiction View Post
Great idea welding on tabs for the high lift to sit between to prevent slippage!
Thanks. We've all seen the jack squirt out from time to time. Not purdy!!
post #11 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door View Post
Thanks. We've all seen the jack squirt out from time to time. Not purdy!!

Here's a pic with the jack & shovel mounted. I took the jack apart so the moving parst dont get dirty & rusted. Reassembly takes just a few minutes. No tools required. Picture taken in Ouray Colorado this fall.

Pics of my Jeep....

post #12 of 15 Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Hey sir .. How are you ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #13 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Hey sir .. How are you ?
Hey Ken! Doing well thanks. Hows all with you? I've been so busy with work & hunting that I've haven't been on the web much. Got an Elk tho so it was all worth it. Never hiked up longer steeper stuff in my life.
Hope all is well with you.

Pics of my Jeep....

post #14 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Me... Building slowly. I really want to get out this new year and wheel more.

Actually considering a DD so I can lesson the focus of street drivability of the jeep.

I will have a complete mid arm soon.
Front DS is new and I will do the rear.
Kinda surprised my rear hasn't blown up yet.
The RK coils put me up around 4" which caused all kinds of issues.
I also ordered poly's highsteer kit.

We got a good deal on RR's XHD front bumper. I posted about it here. 20+ people over on WF jumped on the mistake before they found out. $210 w/ free shipping
That shit doesn't happen often.

Anyhow... Nice to here from ya.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #15 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Me... Building slowly. I really want to get out this new year and wheel more.

Actually considering a DD so I can lesson the focus of street drivability of the jeep.

I will have a complete mid arm soon.
Front DS is new and I will do the rear.
Kinda surprised my rear hasn't blown up yet.
The RK coils put me up around 4" which caused all kinds of issues.
I also ordered poly's highsteer kit.

We got a good deal on RR's XHD front bumper. I posted about it here. 20+ people over on WF jumped on the mistake before they found out. $210 w/ free shipping
That shit doesn't happen often.

Anyhow... Nice to here from ya.
Great hearing from you too. Wow, a bumper for 200 bones shipped is crazy. Good for you. Sounds like the Jeep is better than ever. Wish we were closer.
Take care bud!!

Pics of my Jeep....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode