AEV Bumper Maintenance / Rust Repair - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

AEV Bumper Maintenance / Rust Repair

While I wrote this about an AEV bumper, many of the techniques can be applied to any bumper out there. I am not a professional body person, so some of this probably isn't the best or most professional way, but it should last for a few years.

I recently decided to do some rust repair on my AEV front bumper, and while I was at it I decided to cut the light mounts off my AEV front bumper to be able to mount the LED bar a bit lower. I also had an AEV skid to install that was new, and I originally didnít get the skid holes aligned properly, so this meant the bumper had to get loosed up or come off. Here is where the LED bar was originally mounted.

I used the Baja Designs long brackets on the light, and there was about a 1.25Ē gap between the top edge of the bumper and the bottom of the light.
I am not going to go into the details of installing / removing the AEV bumper since it is pretty well documented. Some things I noticed though were the stainless steel face bolts were all galled. I ended up using a cutoff wheel to remove the bumper. I had the same issue on the winch bolts. I snapped two heads off the bolts, and I needed to drill them out. I didnít use anti-seize originally, but I did use it for reassembly.

To remove the light tabs I took a cutoff wheel and cut through the weld just above the face of the bumper. I then ground down and used a flap wheel to get this flush with the face. After this stage the bumper look like the following.

Then I tackled the rust repair. I used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on the rust I had on the bumper, and also on the winch mount / frame rails. Everything was just surface rust, and not too bad yet, however if you donít take care of it is can get out of hand quickly.
To use it I just followed the instructions and used a wire brush to get all of the loose stuff off. I went a bit further though and tried to scrape up the powder coating on the bumper everywhere I saw it bubbling up. After this I ended up with a bumper that looked like this.

Once I was at this stage washed everything with Dawn dish soap to clean it all, let it dry, and then I was ready to spray. I didnít take any pictures of the bumper at this point, but I got some of the winch mount / frame. You can still see some marks where the rust was forming since I didnít go out of my way to make this pretty.

The rust encapsulator is not a UV stable product so I followed it up with some Eastwood Chassis Black in the satin finish. It seems to match the stock color and finish quite well.

From here I didnít take many more pictures of the work, but I added about three to four coats of filler primer to the rust on the bumper to try to bring the surface back level with the powder coat. I am still a little low, so I will probably go back through and do another couple of coats. After each coat I sanded to try to level and smooth everything out again. Once this was done I followed up with the AEV touchup paint. I did three coats just to make sure everything was well covered.

Another thing I did was I painted the face bolts black after I have seen this on the newer bumpers and liked it. The other thing I did was I painted the stainless mesh to match the Argent Savegre wheels I am hoping to order someday. I was told that the Dupli-Color graphite wheel paint was a close match, so I used that. I ended up doing two coats of adhesion promoter, three coats of primer, three coats of color, and three coats of clear. Here is a look at the finished product.

Another thing I did was I waited until my bumper was on to put the grille on to be able to make sure I can get it on and off with the bumper. I removed the three metal clips on the back of the grille and trimmed the plastic down. I also had to trim around the body mounts to get it back on. It is a tight fit, but it comes on and off.

Some things I still have to do is call and try to get another yellow decal for the bumper. I also need to spool in my winch line and install the roller fairlead, along with the license plate bracket I picked up for it. I also want to paint my grille in the argent color I used for the stainless steel when I have a free weekend.

Jon

08 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice write-up. Thanks for the information. Just put the AEV front skid on mine yesterday.

Well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode