Build Your Own Bike Rack - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Build Your Own Bike Rack

Here's my dilemma: I don't run a spare, I don't have a hitch, and the Jeep is my daily driver. I am buying a new bike today and I need to get it home safely, so I came up with this design for a bike rack that easily mounts over the tailgate with the rear window removed.

I bought the whole thing from Home Depot from the plumbing section and was able to put it together easily.

Parts list:
(4) 3/4" x 18" iron nipple pipe
(2) 3/4" x 12"
(1) 3/4" x 10"
(4) 3/4" x 3"
(4) 3/4" Tee
(4) 3/4" 90* street elbow
(2) 3/4" 90* elbow
(6) 3/4" pipe caps
(2) 6' sections of 1/2" iron pipe insulation
(2) 6' sections of 1-1/8" iron pipe insulation
(1) Bag of black zip-ties
(1) Can of black Rustoleum spray paint

I'll get some pictures up soon, I have to modify a piece of it so I'm off to Home Depot.

After getting put together, spraying black, and double-layering the foam, I got it on there. I used rubber bungee cords to secure everything. I git the bike home and noticed the weight turned some of the threads so I'll either have to tack weld all the fittings or tighten them all to hell and maybe a little Loc-Tite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.

Last edited by nlgrav182; 05-12-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Clever! You can probably fit 2 bikes on there huh? What did it cost you? When I'm not using my hitch rack I usually drop the back seat and take the front wheel off but now that I have the rampage cargo rack in there I cant do that anymore.

What did you get? Is that a 1x1 rigid 29er? Steel Frame? Nice! Where do you ride most of the time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like a Kona unit Do they still make the Unit, great idea love this sort of shit, make the most of what you got but why no spare?. I take the Jeep as far as it will go and then jump on my GF29R. Good stuff

that should buff out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 05:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Cool idea, but eek! lol

If you could weld, you could have a little receiver on your trampstamp and then make a mount that slots into it and doesn't look so rough. With some 1 inch tube, you can make the cradle part that the bikes mount on. You can also buy the nice rubber cradles with the straps pretty much anywhere and have basically a store quality rack for cheap.

For reference, a few years back, I bought 4 of the rubber Thule cradles off Amazon for like 10 bucks. A small receiver going through the spare tire was all that was seen when the rack wasn't on the jeep. The rack was nothing more than some scrap steel and two 1 inch tubes welded to it with the Thule cradles slid on. Looked like a nice store bought unit and I had less than $30 bucks into it and it took less than an hour of very leisurely work to make it. Too bad its gone now. I need to build another one soon.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode