Installing backlit Contura Switches in sPod - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Installing backlit Contura Switches in sPod

I recently ordered some of the new Contura V Backlight switches from OTRATTW to install in my sPod. I finally got around to it this weekend and I am really happy with the results. I went for the V1D1FHNB switches, which are independently wired with a green LED and have an amber LED that lights up when turned the accessory is turned on.

I went with green lights hoping that they would match the factory lighting better than any others. The green lights look good, but the color is quite a bit different from the teal lighting of the Jeep interior. I would say that the green switch color is closer to that of the fog light icon, but a little more yellow.

The wiring layout of the new backlight switches is the same as the original Contura switches in the sPod, so it is easy to switch the switches out and hook up the wiring to the same locations. The only difference is the addition of a hookup for power and a ground to the second LED.

The first thing I did was wire up female connectors to hook up to the dash light circuit and also connectors to hook up to the ground. I connected the ground to the existing ground wired into the sPod with a jumper between the third and fourth switches.

Once that was done, I popped the bottom portion of the dash off and tied into the dimmable circuit used to light the seat heater, mirror, and electrical outlet switches. This wire is orange with a blue stripe and was the fourth wire from the left on the top of the switch. I then ran the wire up to the sPod and everything was good to go. It was a little scary ripping into the dash, but really not a big deal and it is cool having the lights dimmable.

I will get some pictures and a diagram up tomorrow. This is really a pretty easy mod to the sPod and it really turns out nice.

Last edited by rynomar; 08-16-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here is a rough diagram of the jumper wires I made with the lengths of the wires used. I have also included some pictures of the jumpers before and after i plugged them into the new switches on the sPod.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here are some shots of the dimmable circuit I tied into. The wire is orange with a blue stripe and is attached to the plug that is located directly behind the electric mirror knob on the lower portion of the dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode