Volant PowerCore Intake 2012 3.6L PentaStar Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Volant PowerCore Intake 2012 3.6L PentaStar Install

This is a fairly detailed write up of an install of the Volant PowerCore Cold Air Intake on the new PentaStar 3.6L in the 2012 JK.

As this is my first write-up there might be some minor oversights...the write-ups, pictures, and explanations will continuously improve..

Before I begin I want to say that this was a very basic install. Took maybe 20 minutes. The fit and finish of the Volant kit is absolutely top of the line. The marine grade stainless hardware, quality silicone connectors and aluminum access panel on the top of the box give you both an improved look as well as reliable components for years of trouble free service. The HUGE intake tube with smooth transitions is definitely a BIG improvement over the factory set up, you will see what I am referring to when you remove your factory intake setup.

I chose to go with the Volant PowerCore for several reasons:
1. The quality of their kits
2. Compatibility with their snorkel system, if you decide to add a snorkel later on.
3. The sealed air-box, keeping power robbing heat from the engine bay out
4. PowerCore synthetic filter - increase in power over their 5 layer cotton gauze filter, and most importantly it is maintenance free. There is no need to clean or re-oil it for 100,000 miles. In addition the PowerCore synthetic filter does not loose any filtration ability if it gets wet, which is great for a JK. Additionally, a pre-filter can easily be installed over the filter for added protection off-road.

Observations: There was an IMMEDIATE and noticeable difference in the response of the throttle. You barely need to touch the pedal and there is a wonderful burst of acceleration. Another added bonus was the change in sound. Under normal leisurely driving, whether cruising around town or 70 mph on the highway the JK is as quiet as factory. When you open up the throttle there is a subtle growl that increases just above 2500 rpm. Under medium to wide open throttle i.e. entering a highway, passing or even some fun from a stop you get a sweet howl. It does not sound like a 3.6L that is for sure. What I like is the fact that I get the best of both worlds. Quiet operation and no drone under normal driving, but a throaty roar when I'm looking to have some fun. Finally, on top of everything else, the PentaStar is breathing much more freely and I have seen noticable improvement in mpgs as well. If you are looking for a bolt on power upgrade that will also increase your economy than the Volant PowerCore is the way to go.

The first step is to locate the vacuum hose at the back of the factory intake box and disconnect it. It is coming out of the corner of the box. It might be a little easier to remove the engine cover and unclipping it from next to the intake to have a little more play.

Next locate the "Intake Air Temp Sensor" to the left go the throttle body. You will want to carefully unlock the sensor plug by sliding back the red tab we all know and love. Then you can squeeze the tabs and unplug the connector.

Now you want to loosen and remove the two 10mm bolts that retain the plastic clips attached to the factory intake tube as well as holding the radiator overflow hose.

Using either an 8mm socket or flat blade screwdriver loosen the two stainless clamps and pop all 4 clips retaining that hold the top of the factory air-box in place.

Once the clamps are loose and the clips are popped, the top of the box and tube should lift straight up and out, the key here is STRAIGHT up. The picture below shows why. There are three tubes coming off of the factory intake tube prevent you from pulling the factory tube toward you. (If anyone can tell me what purpose these three tubes serve it would be greatly appreciated)

The last step for removal is to firmly pull on the bottom half of the factory box up and out. There are three studs holding this box in place, attached to either the studs or the holes are rubber grommets. Make sure that if the grommets come out with the factory box you remove them from the pins and put them back into the mounting holes. It is much easier to install the new box into the holes with the rubber grommets in the mounting holes.

Before you place the new box into the vehicle you need to do two things: First, remove the six stainless Philips head screws from the Volant filter access panel (use a PH3, the screws scan be stripped, especially on re-installation if a smaller Phillips is used) Second, remove the 10mm bolt next to the fuse box, adjacent to the fender. This bolt was previously covered by the factory box.

Now, line up the three studs on the new box with the three holes (with rubber grommets) in the mounting location. Once they are lined up press firmly on the box and you will feel them catch the holes/rubber grommets. Insert the 10mm bolt you just removed into the hole in the new box, it is in closest to the passenger side toward the firewall. Begin by hand tightening this bolt until you can feel the threads engage and it is not being cross threaded. Once the threads catch and it begins to become hard to turn with your fingers use a 10mm socket to snug the bolt all the way down. As you tighten the bolt, the studs will work all the way into the grommets, locking the Volant securely in place.

The "Intake Air Temp Sensor" that was unplugged earlier must be removed from the factory intake tube. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, the sensor is fragile and very difficult to remove. There is an arrow on the sensor mount of the factory tube, gently rotate the sensor in the opposite direction to unlock it. Very slowly "wiggle" the sensor and pull firmly, working the sensor a little bit at a time until it pops free. The image below is what the sensor looks like from the inside of the tube, see how fragile that looks...looks expensive too...lets not find out HOW expensive...

Immediately re-install the sensor into the hole in the new intake tube. Gently slide it in place until it is fully seated. If the green O-Ring is visible, the sensor is not fully seated.

Next slide the smaller silicone sleeve onto the throttle body side of the intake tube, this is the short side of the bend. Make sure that you put it on far enough that you have between 1/8" and 1/4" of silicone past the stainless clamp on the intake side of the tube. Also be sure, before final tightening of the clamp that you can "feel" a lip of the intake tube when you press down on the silicone. On the long side of the tube, attach the larger silicone sleeve with the bellows using the same method. It is much easier to install the tube once the connectors are securely in place.

Slide the hose clamp over the larger silicone sleeve and slip the sleeve over the air-box outlet. With the sleeve fully seated against the box line up the intake tube to the throttle body. Slide the last hose clamp over the smaller silicone sleeve and fit the sleeve over the inlet of the throttle body. Slowly tighten up the clamp on the air-box side until it lightly snugged. Adjust the intake tube as necessary and repeat on the throttle body side. Re-tighten the air-box clamp, then the throttle body clamp. Double check that the sleeves are fully seated and that they are all tight.

Re-install the vacuum hose onto the barb on the new intake tube.

Re-install the air-box cover plate and the six (6) stainless screws. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! The cover is aluminum and has a foam gasket, if you over tighten the screws you will deform the aluminum cover.

The final step can be done in one of two ways. I chose to knock the clips that hold the radiator overflow hose off the factory intake tube. The hose should be secured, it is long and could catch in the hood or chafe and burst. Neither of these would be fun. Once the clips are knocked off the 10mm bolts can be reinstalled and the hose clipped into place.

The installation is now complete. The photo below shows what the engine bay should look like.

I hope this helps anyone considering the Volant PowerCore Intake...you will surely not be disappointed with any aspect.

If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to PM me.

Happy Jeepin'

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Granite Guru

Great write-up. Dig the CAI design. Do you know if they have a snorkel kit available for it? Thanks.

'12 JKU Rubicon (Bright White)

-4.10 Ratio
-5 Spd Auto
-430N Media
24R Package
-315/75/16 Toyo Open Country MTs
-Katzkin Heated Leather Seats
-16x8.5" Level 8 Tracker wheels
-Dynomax Evo Competition exhaust
-TeraFlex Front Lower Control Arms

(prev) '08 JKU x (Black)
-5.13 ratio
-4 spd auto
-1" M.O.R.E BL
-2.5" TF Coil lift
-315/75/16 GY MT/R
-16x8 ProComp 8069 rims
-Magnaflow / CoolTech exhaust
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage

aldaman - thanks for the comment...this was the first writeup I have a few planned for the next couple weeks and hopefully they help everyone out...I spoke to the guys at volant and their customer service is outstanding. They DO in fact have a snorkel in the works for the 3.6L PentaStar...I will keep checking in on their site and when it is available I will definitely add to the post. Now that I have been driving it for a month or so with the Volant I have to say that the poweris outstanding and the MPG is a steady improvement over the outstanding stock MPG, still avg 23-25 on the highway... I see you went with bright white on your '12 also...nice...

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to DaddyGo

Nice write up. How much better is the MPG over stock? I know you said you're getting 22-23 now but what were you getting before? Thinking about doing this. Nice easy mod and pretty cheap from Summit right now.

Rob-2012 Bright White JKU Sport/Rough Country 2.5" BB w/18/59 springs and Rubi shocks/Front Sway Bar Disconnects/Rubi Wheels & Tires/VDP Stubby Bumper Kit/Off Camber Light Bar/KC Daylighters/ACE Rock Sliders w/Rubi Rails/Kicker Speakers/Surprise Straps Grab Handles. The sickness is setting in!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru

the tubes are to stop resonance(sp?) and noise from the intake air. so it doesnt make the cool air sucking sound that it undoubtably does now the tie CAI. learned that when i put the CAI on my mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode