DIY - Lower Front Shock Mount Flip Brackets - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

DIY - Lower Front Shock Mount Flip Brackets

I was looking at buying a set of Nemisis' brackets, while they are an extremely nice product..I was looking for a little fabrication project to mess with. I decided I wanted to keep the rotation within the same factory shock mount since frame clearance is not a concern with mine and I wasn't excited about putting the bind in the shock by moving it out unecessarily. I ended up raising the shock mount about 1-1/2" over stock, which is a little more than I wanted to..but I have the room to do it.

Anyway here is what I ended up with, excuse my welds.

I still have the other side to do, but I'll leave this as-is to give it some time to see if it'll give me any trouble...but I doubt they will.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

Nice job goody.

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #3 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Rock God

I wish i could fab stuff.
nice work!

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Like I don't have enough on my list of things to do you add something new to my list.

Thanks
post #6 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

looks good man. Are you saying the nemesis mounts put a bind on the shocks? Or am in misunderstanding this? TIA

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #7 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
I wish i could fab stuff.
nice work!
Thanks, I am just getting started at this stuff myself, as you can probably tell. This was done with a drill, small chop saw and a 90a Harbor Freight welder that was given to me and I taught myself to weld with. I am far from a "fabricator" with the tools I have..one day I hope to step that up a notch and have a little higher quality to what I can produce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
looks good man. Are you saying the nemesis mounts put a bind on the shocks? Or am in misunderstanding this? TIA
Well here is my take on the design. It's just some forum-junkies opinion, so I am not trying to bash it one way or the other.

The idea behind getting the frame clearance for shocks by moving the lower mount out is an awesome bolt-on solution. Works great if that is your problem.

However, my initial intention was to make a mount similar to how they have theirs, with the lowers kicked out some. The changing the lower mount angle will provide smoother shock travel when each side is moving independently (trail/flexing). However since the mount is no longer perpendicular to the ground, the shock is less effective; more resistant to movement than when perpendicular...it takes more work to move the shock since it's line of motion is no longer linear. Which should make bumps in the road more amplified. Now my take on ride changes, your take on ride changes and the eleventy other member's of this forum is going to be different. From a design aspect, it will increase the firmness of the ride where the whole axle wants to move within the same line of motion. If anyone ever notices, I have no idea..but my ride is firm enough as is and I was able to go around that concern completely.

This became more apparent to me when just mocking up a similar mount. The SkyJacker upper shock mount/stud design is not too thrilled about the lower being ~15* out compared to the top, the bushing was in a bind to begin with.

Their bracket is a great solution for frame clearance, it can provide more anti-sway/lateral stability (mine Jeep needs that like a rod through the block), but depending on your springs, center of gravity, etc...that may be a benefit to you. However in my case, the only real benefit is to move the mount 90*, which is what I did. I also got a little more travel out of it since I have the clearance at full compression.

..But I wouldn't be surprised to see someone market this same thing in the near future

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-13-2012 at 08:45 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
it can provide more anti-sway/lateral stability (mine Jeep needs that like a rod through the block), but depending on your springs, center of gravity, etc...that may be a benefit to you.
X2 ^^

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #9 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice fab work Mike

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Good thinking. Now get your yellow star and start selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Good thinking. Now get your yellow star and start selling.
Nowhere near getting anything like that going. I need a torch mate, brake and a bigger welder first.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Rock God

don't we all need that stuff? good work by the way. I like the idea.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #13 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Their bracket is a great solution for frame clearance, it can provide more anti-sway/lateral stability (mine Jeep needs that like a rod through the block), but depending on your springs, center of gravity, etc...that may be a benefit to you. However in my case, the only real benefit is to move the mount 90*, which is what I did. I also got a little more travel out of it since I have the clearance at full compression.

..But I wouldn't be surprised to see someone market this same thing in the near future
This is why i am looking into the nemesis mount, seeing that you know quite a bit more than i do, do think this would be beneficial to me i am running RK 2.5" max pro with RRDs 35s on a two door. thanks for your help

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #14 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
This is why i am looking into the nemesis mount, seeing that you know quite a bit more than i do, do think this would be beneficial to me i am running RK 2.5" max pro with RRDs 35s on a two door. thanks for your help
For my rig, the factory front sway bar is beefy enough to handle all the sway I get with ~3.5" of lift. In my opinion. I actually could stand to put my rear sway bar back on to help it work a little harder, it'll pull a front tire off the ground if I get in the throttle leaving a U-turn without the rear bar on it.

post #15 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
For my rig, the factory front sway bar is beefy enough to handle all the sway I get with ~3.5" of lift. In my opinion. I actually could stand to put my rear sway bar back on to help it work a little harder, it'll pull a front tire off the ground if I get in the throttle leaving a U-turn without the rear bar on it.
ya i dont get much "sway" with my setup i do have both sway bars hooked up tho, i think i might look for something else to put that money towards. Thanks.

post #16 of 26 Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Went ahead and made the other side this morning.

Lovely eh?

post #17 of 26 Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

that is a great Idea. I see why you would do something like that. I may have to make my own. thanks for the idea.

Ruben

07 JK Rubicon - Banks Cold air intake and Monster exhaust - ARB front and rear bumpers - Warn 9.5Ti - OME 4inch JK Lift - 33inch MTZ

01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

post #18 of 26 Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Those came out really well for you still learning!

Do you miss Las Vegas and Hendertucky yet?

post #19 of 26 Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relayer4u View Post
Those came out really well for you still learning!

Do you miss Las Vegas and Hendertucky yet?

I miss the wheelin' for sure.

post #20 of 26 Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

While on topic of shock mounts. I made some new rear shock mounts today, started with the passenger side. I'll tackle the driver's side once I see how things go and if I want to change anything on them. The lower shock bushing/mount is a bit more exposed than I'd like it to, I'll probably skid that somehow. My welder and I had some disagreements today, damn thing kept cutting out on me...ah well..

Moved the lower mount up 1-3/8", I am definitely going to need to do some brake line work in the near future. So with a set of these and the fronts, I've added 2-7/8" of shock travel to the Jeep overall we'll see how that goes!

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

nice work

do you make templates too?

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #22 of 26 Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarRubicon View Post
nice work

do you make templates too?
I did for those rears, but i haven't drawn them in SolidWorks or anything yet.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I did for those rears, but i haven't drawn them in SolidWorks or anything yet.
definitely want to copy that if you make a file for them...ill bet i wont be the only one

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #24 of 26 Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarRubicon View Post
definitely want to copy that if you make a file for them...ill bet i wont be the only one
I'll work on that for both of these mounts.

post #25 of 26 Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Granite Guru

Looking good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode