GenRight Aluminum Rear Bumper Installation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
ADDICTION II build begins....

GenRight Aluminum Rear Bumper Installation

Remove the stock bumper and clean/prep the frame surface for the new bumper:

Mark and drill the following holes on the bumper per the instructions...follow the instructions (read everything first and line up all the tools to make installation easier and faster):

If you are going to install the trailer hitch you will need to shorten the bolts....a great tool for doing this is a dremel with a cutting wheel!

Mark and drill your holes for the bumper mounting bolts to the frame:

If you are going to run the trailer hitch, you have to notch out this plate on the bottom of the bumper. If not, you can leave this in place:

Next, wire all of your lights together ran from the drivers side over to the passenger size to tap into the passenger side tail lamp area (if you are running the lights as a backup light).

Note: The white rubber washers that come with the lights go on the backside of bumper and not on the front side of the light.

Next, put in the shackle mount bars, slip on the bumper and start bolting it all together!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 04-12-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Granite Guru

Can you tell me what your gap looks like between the top of the bumper and the body? I'm debating if I should be prepared to bedline that lip too or leave it be. And how long did it take you to install? It's obviously not a 5 minute quick bolt up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karls View Post
Can you tell me what your gap looks like between the top of the bumper and the body? I'm debating if I should be prepared to bedline that lip too or leave it be. And how long did it take you to install? It's obviously not a 5 minute quick bolt up.
The gap between the body and the bumper is about 1/2". You will be fine without bedlining but is up to you. For the install, it took me a little while due to installing it at my house with my wife and 3 boys home! But discounting that, it could take you an hour or two (with cleaning/painting the crossmember prep) as long as you have the right drill bits and someone to give you a hand as you do the final bolting in.

U.S. Army
post #5 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karls View Post
Here is mine raw and attached and painted. Like TX says, it is about a half inch.

It took me a while to install. The priming and painting and prep took a full day, didn't have all the proper tools, so kept having to run out, bla bla. I used DupliColor bed liner, and it seemed to like a few days to set. I would definitely do as the instructions say and fit it first, run the bolts in to make sure everything fits right, then remove and prep and paint. After painting, it is easy to scratch up if you have to remove it a couple of times when doing the final install. However, the bedliner makes it easy to touch up.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #6 of 18 Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Rock God

did those lights come w/ the bumper, and how bright are they?
post #7 of 18 Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
did those lights come w/ the bumper, and how bright are they?

They are very bright....was sitting in a parking spot, put the jeep in reverse and with the light bouncing off of the building across the street I thought I had a car sitting behind me on the street. Given I have a backup horn installed on the jeep and the light wasnt moving, I ended up getting out of the jeep only to realize the car keeping me from backing out was actually my Jeep! LOL

Here are the lights I have installed...there are a couple other light options available for the holes as well but are more expensive.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....0#.UZ8MZ-A796E

Krawl Off-Road, Rebel Off-Road, River City Off-Road, Northridge, etc are all vendors for GR so

U.S. Army
post #8 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Rock God

Nice write up "T"
post #9 of 18 Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

I just received my GR rear bumper in the mail today!

Question, is there enough available space with the bumper installed to install the backup lights? I ask because I plan on purchasing the lights at a later date, and obviously would prefer to not have to remove the bumper. Thanks!

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #10 of 18 Old 05-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Its pretty tight in there once the bumper is on. I waited till I got my lights before installing it for that reason. And I'm glad I did, I had a tough time installing it and wouldn't want to go through it again. (but love it now that its on there)
post #11 of 18 Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Its pretty tight in there once the bumper is on. I waited till I got my lights before installing it for that reason. And I'm glad I did, I had a tough time installing it and wouldn't want to go through it again. (but love it now that its on there)
Whats so hard about it?

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #12 of 18 Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 AM
Rock God

EDIT: I had a tough time lining up the bolt holes with the tow point that sits inside the frame. Plus I swear the bumper changed a little somehow in the powercoat process as my holes lined up perfectly beforehand. Took a little force and some cursing but I finally got it on.

Last edited by Jonboy; 05-20-2014 at 12:29 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-20-2014, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you feel its necessary to fit before painting? I have yet to hear about significant fitment issues with this bumper...

post #14 of 18 Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Rock God

I had my bumper up and down multiple times when installing it, so for me there was no question I needed to pre-fit it. I would have messed up my powdercoat had I not, for sure. But you may be a better installer than me!
post #15 of 18 Old 05-20-2014, 06:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I fit mine up after powder coating it. No issues, but a helper will make lining everything up easier.

I had to pull my bumper back off to instal the lights, I have their $20 version and they are crap.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #16 of 18 Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

If you order the LED lights for the bumper, you will need to install them and trim the backing a little before installing as there isn't enough room for the entire plastic mounting/thread surface on the backside but plenty of room for the light and securing it prior to mounting. If you trim it right everything fits fine.

As far as the lights, I have the standard 3-LED lights with mine and they work just fine. They throw enough light that from the light bouncing off the building across the residential street I though I had a car behind me that I couldn't see in the mirrors. Actually got out to look and then felt like an idiot realizing it was just me lighting everything up!

For bumper fitting/placement, it's best to line everything up first before attempting to mount, make sure you mark your "drill holes" for the bolts (if powder coating don't drill until after powder coating as the holes will change due to powder coating thickness), and then mount. It is best to have a friend help just for a second set of hands although I have installed a few of them by myself (including my own).
Attached Images

U.S. Army
post #17 of 18 Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Got er installed last weekend. Kind of a bitch to get all the necessary drilled holes in the frame to line up with those on the bumper, took a lil finesse, but we got it. I decided to ditch the trailer hitch, as I never use it and prefer the look. Didn't order the backup lights when I ordered the bumper, looks like i'll have to remove it when I get em in. Either way, I like the way it came out. Rattle canned it with Rustoleum Hammered black. Comes out more of a dark textured gray than black.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rdlynch2; 05-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Got er installed last weekend. Kind of a bitch to get all the necessary drilled holes in the frame to line up with those on the bumper, took a lil finesse, but we got it. I decided to ditch the trailer hitch, as I never use it and prefer the look. Didn't order the backup lights when I ordered the bumper, looks like i'll have to remove it when I get em in. Either way, I like the way it came out. Rattle canned it with Rustoleum Hammered black. Comes out more of a dark textured gray than black.

[IMG][/IMG]

looks good!

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode