Cobra 75 stealth install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cobra 75 stealth install

Here is a pic of my Cobra 75 Stealth install.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here is my stealthy Cobra 75 install in my 2010 JKU Sahara. I will not be debating the best way to power the radio or the best way
to run the antenna cable or the best way to ground the antenna. Just realize they all need to be done and many posts have been
written discussing the virtues of each.

My primary objectives were

1) Out of Sight. The reason I went with the 75 is that it can be easily removed.
2) Easy access to back seat. Those of you with children will understand.
3) No cutting or drilling.
4) Installation can be undone.

Step one: remove the dark grey center console applique. This has been written up in more detail on other threads. I started by
grasping the front of the console box and pulling straight up. Once the applique pops I continue to pull along the edges of the
console until its all loose. Slow and steady is the way to go. It is necessary to raise the E-brake lever to remove the applique.

Step two: Press down on the 2 locking pins holding the electrical connector to the console. The forward most hole will be used to
secure the radio box to the console.

Step three: Fish the antenna coax under the passenger seat and passenger side of the console. Fish the other end of the coax to your
antenna location.
Attached Images

Last edited by nj jk; 03-08-2012 at 10:03 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Step four: Secure the CB box. Thread a zip tie thru the forward most hole where the connector was attached. Route the tie back
toward the storage box then under the console. Leave a loop big enough to slide the CB box into. Notice the orientation of the box
and slip it into the loop. Slowly snug up the zip tie paying close attention to the position of the tie. Keeping the zip tie tight
to the antenna connector jam nut will help secure the CB box.

Step five: Thread a zip tie thru the mounting bracket on AUX speaker side the CB box and around the wire bundle. Snug up the zip tie
to secure the electrical connector.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Step six: Loosely loop a zip tie around the console just above the ebrake handle. Route the mic cable as shown in the
picture.slide the cable thru the zip tie loop. Leaving about a 2.5 inch tail, snug the zip tie down around the cable but not so much
that the cable can not move.

Step seven: Run the CB box power wires to the hot and ground of your choice. I spliced into the cig lighter power cable because it
is local and it is a switched power source.

Step eight: replace the center console applique.

Step nine: Using your finger reach thru the bristles surrounding the ebrake for the mic connector and pull it thru the opening. Attach
the mic and test the radio. You may need to fine tune the length of the mic cable tail by lifting the applique at the storage box
and adjusting the tail. When the tail is at a convenient length snug up the zip tie tight. If you are having difficulty getting the
cable thru the bristles you can attach a zip tie near the cable connector to help fish the cable out.
Attached Images

post #5 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here is the finished installation.

Just fish out the mic cable tail and attach the mic. When you're done simply disconnect the mic and push the mic cable tail out of sight.

This install allows for easy access for back seat passengers and can be completely undone. One thing I did at a later date was to zip tie the mounting bracket, commonly used in glove box installations, to near the CB box so I would not loose it.
Attached Images

Last edited by nj jk; 03-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I hope you are going to put an external speaker somewhere because you are not going to hear very much from that mic speaker laying around in the cup holder. I have one. That speaker realy sucks!
Cool place for the unit. A mic clip would be good too so your brains of the CB don't ge bashed around while out on trails. I think they are kinda fragile for impacts. Thats where all of the circuitry is for that radio.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice option, we went under the glove box on the removable plastic panel, with a speaker over the mirror.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #8 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 AM
DaK
Rock God

Now how did you secure the handset? Without being secured while off roading that thing will be bouncing around like no one's business. Also, I agree with a previous post, might be hard to hear while down by the cup holders. Also, reaching for it to talk could become a hazard and you may find yourself fishing for it a lot as it will roll around without being secured to something. IF you do end up mounting the handset up by the radio like most folks then the cord will most likely be banging you in the arm all day. Annoyance for sure.

I do like the out of the box thinking. Nice.

Have mine mounted under the glove box. All you see is a nub where the handset connects. Looks like a power outlet when the handset is not installed.

Wheel it a few times and let us know how it works out.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Qtec sells dash mounts for pods I added the lower piece to hold the cb

Crew

post #10 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Rock God

Nice install! How do you guys like those Cobra 75's. Have been thinking of getting one but always hear mixed reviews?

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #11 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I wanted a mounting position which would allow the handset to be used by back seat passengers. The glove box install does not provide for this.

Lack of an external speaker has not been an issue. I have an external speaker and chose not to install it. I know there are several threads about the poor sound from the handset but I have no issue with the sound. The external speaker option is available if I need it but so far I have not.

The handset does not bang around with the type of wheeling I do. I have logged hundreds of miles of beach and trail riding and have been to Rausch Creek. I did not go with a Mic mount on the center stack because the coiled cable would stretch across the cab. So far no issues. That said, I haven't been airborne.....yet.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Steve when are you going to hit Wharton with the JC?

Crew

post #13 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeato View Post
Nice install! How do you guys like those Cobra 75's. Have been thinking of getting one but always hear mixed reviews?
I am obviously a fan.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Steve when are you going to hit Wharton with the JC?
Dave, I am hoping to make the Animal Orphanage run. I just did DTR's Jackson run.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I mounted mine under the glove box like most others. I didnt drill a hole in my dash though. There is a lip that will hold the plug in out of sight. I just pull it down when I am ready to connect and away we go.

Hav a speaker into glove. The whole dash amplifies the speaker and you can hear it great!!!
post #16 of 17 Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice clean install.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #17 of 17 Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode