GenRight Off-Road tire carrier installation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
ADDICTION II build begins....

GenRight Off-Road tire carrier installation

I installed the GenRight Off-Road tire carrier with help from fellow Oahu Jeepers Brian and Joe. Here are some pictures and tips to make for a quick and successful installation for anyone looking to purchase/install them:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Make sure you have some paint to touch up areas that may have not been painted during vehicle assembly. Also make sure you have sandpaper or dremel with sanding bit (what I used).

2. Take off the door mounting brackets/hinges....you can do as we did with taking both off (I have an interior door strut kit) or would recommend taking one off at a time due to nothing holding the right side of the door.

3. This step is where you would paint the door hinge mounting point if needed. Recommend using a heat gun or blow dryer to help the paint dry quicker! I used a heat gun and helped speed up the process quite a bit!

4. The instructions call for using a center punch to tap out the hole which you will see a center "pin" hole on one end of the bolt where you are to tap it out. In my case, the bolt was not very cooperative. I used a dremel with a cutting blade to cut off the end of the hinge bolts in order to mount the new hinges on.

5. Install the new hinges as shown using the GenRight Off-Road supplied hinge bolts. Be sure to mount the hinge with the slotted hole on the upper hinge mount. This is the hinge that is used to adjust the tire carrier in a later step with the tire mounted in order to adjust for tire weight drop! That's right....a tire carrier that allows for the tire drop adjustment which in turn allows for an easy 2 finger opening and one finger closing swing arm!!!

6. Re-mount the hinges/door mounting brackets back on the door and to the hinge mounting points using the factory door and hinge bolts. If you have light guards like I have, you will need to notch out the inner side of the light guard due to limited space between the tire carrier and the tail light on both sides....for the right side clearance, you will see in a later picture that there is a "stop" built into the swing arm to prevent the tire carrier from swinging all the way around and is why you will need to trim the light guards if you have them. If you don't, you are good to go as there is ample space between the light and swing arm/hinges.

7. this step begins the assembly of the tire carrier. Ensure you use the GenRight Off-Road supplied bolts to mount the tire retaining arm/bracket as shown in the picture. There are 4 bolts that mount underneath and 2 on the top center/inside of the tire carrier using brackets and nut clips that will be placed inside the tire mount cavity (big hole in the top centered between the loop). You can also mount the arm on the other side of the mounting location in order to raise the spare tire an additional 2" for departure angle!

8. Next, install the tire carrier bushings into the tire carrier (you will find them pre-connected to the hinges). Disassemble the bushings from the hinges and then assemble them into the tire carrier as shown in the pictures:

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 03-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

9. Time to install the tire carrier. use the GenRight Off-Road supplied mounting bolts. If you have the light guards (as pictured), you will need to take them off and notch them due to the GenRight Off-Road tire carrier stops that are extended from the swing arm in picture numbers 4 and 5 below. The black vertical post inside the GenRight Off-Road hinges works with the extended swing arm stop (pictured in pictures 4 and 5 below) to prevent the tire carrier from swinging all the way around past the side of the Jeep and also to keep from breaking the tail lamp!

NOTE: ensure you have the hinges somewhat loose during the left side latch bar install to allow for proper placement and room next to the driver side tail light.

10. Time to line up the driver side tire carrier latching bracket. Here are the steps you will need to follow for this procedure:
a. Locate your mounting bolts, washers and lock nuts, along with your polyurethane "bumpstops" for the tire carrier swing arm. The "bumpstops" ensure that your swing arm stops exactly where it needs to be once installed to insert the locking pins.
b. Ensure that you have the latching bar/plate connected to the swing arm.
c. Ensure you have the driver's side tail lamp installed or you may end up to far to the left with tire carrier alignment and will require some trimming of the tail lamp to reinstall the lamp. Having the tail lamp in will ensure that you install the tire carrier with proper alignment on both the left and right sides to clear the tail lamps.

d. Use a level on the center of the tire carrier (tire mounting bar location) to ensure that you have the tire carrier system level with the Jeep.

e. Using the tire carrier swing arm, place the left side latching bracket against the tub to the right of the drivers side tail lamp. Ensure you have the tire carrier level with the bracket clear of the left side tail lamp then mark your holes to drill. The mounting hardware will go through the latching bracket and tub with the lock nuts and washers installed on the inside of the tub through the drivers side tail lamp.

Note, after everything is lined up, install and tighten all mounting hardware on both the drivers side bracket and passenger side hinges.

f. Install your license plate!

11. Install your tire using the large polyurethane bushing, large steel washer, and locking arm.

Note: Not pictured is the tire carrier swing arm adjustment (pictures will be added). This adjustment relieves the "tire drop" associated with most tire carriers and allows the GenRight Tire Carrier to open and close by pulling open with a couple fingers and closing with just one finger!! [You will need someone to help you with this procedure.]
a. Pull the tire carrier out of the drivers side latching bracket. You will notice the "normal" tire drop from the tire weight.
b. Have one person hold onto the tire carrier swing arm. Have the second person loosen the bolt to the tire carrier swing arm on the top passenger side hinge. This will allow the tire carrier to be moved up and down to properly align the tire carrier with the spare tire weight.
c. Look at the upper swing arm "finger" that goes into the latching bracket "sockets". You are going to lift the tire carrier up just enough for 1/2 of the top "finger" to sit above the latching bracket.
d. Tighten the passenger side top hinge bracket bolt for the tire carrier...ensure that it is VERY tight so that the tire carrier does not "re-adjust" on you. This will lock the tire carrier into the proper position so that when you release the tire carrier it will "drop" down just enough to sit exactly where it needs to be with the tire carrier "fingers" centered into the locking bracket "socket"/positions.
e. Now open and close the tire carrier....it should open with one hand with no effort required.
f. Another step you can take is to use a file on the latching bracket "sockets" to bevel the sockets (just like the bevel/angles on the swing arm "fingers" polyurethane bushings). This will allow for a much easier "glide" in and out of the latching bracket "sockets".
g. Once you complete these steps, you should be able to open and close your tire carrier with proper alignment and absolute ease!

(NOTE: Be sure to use grease on the tire carrier mounting "bolt" to ensure rust prevention and easy removal of the tire locking arm. )

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 03-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 48 Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

U.S. Army

Last edited by TXROCK; 03-06-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 03-17-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I have finished the tire carrier installation....will finish the wiring write-up on the license plate relocation/3rd brake light/license plate light kit!

U.S. Army
post #5 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Looks great!

SOLD:
2012 Flame Red JKUR- Manual w/ 4.10s & Nav
JCR Front Pre-runner & Rear Dagger, RK 2.5" Flex System, Bilstein 5100s, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17 Tires, Black ATX Slot 17x9 Wheels
post #6 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM

looks nice.
post #7 of 48 Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Rock God

Thanks for the write up, it helped a lot with my install. I had only a minor bit of an issue with my drivers tail light. But a few minutes with a sanding disk and that was taken care of. Mine has fewer parts, as it is set up to carry a stock back spaced wheel.

Any idea how I am supposed to attach the license plate cover? Its just a blank plate. I was thinking about some epoxy....

**Sorry about the huge pictures! Cant get them to resize on photo bucket tonight......

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #8 of 48 Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post

Any idea how I am supposed to attach the license plate cover? Its just a blank plate. I was thinking about some epoxy...

U shouldnt need epoxy-its just a "plug" that u push on.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #9 of 48 Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice job on this install/writeup-looks great

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #10 of 48 Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for the write up, it helped a lot with my install. I had only a minor bit of an issue with my drivers tail light. But a few minutes with a sanding disk and that was taken care of. Mine has fewer parts, as it is set up to carry a stock back spaced wheel.

Any idea how I am supposed to attach the license plate cover? Its just a blank plate. I was thinking about some epoxy....

**Sorry about the huge pictures! Cant get them to resize on photo bucket tonight......
I love your rig! Is there a possibility of you posting a side picture of the whole jeep and not an angled picture? I'd like to see how far the carrier sticks out, clearance of the bumper, and plus see the gap of the fenders and tires
post #11 of 48 Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanralston07 View Post
I love your rig! Is there a possibility of you posting a side picture of the whole jeep and not an angled picture? I'd like to see how far the carrier sticks out, clearance of the bumper, and plus see the gap of the fenders and tires
Thanks. I don't have a straight shot. Is this close enough?

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #12 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

For the plug, you are talking about the aluminum plug right?

U.S. Army
post #13 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Rock God

[QUOTE=TXROCK;1114946]For the plug, you are talking about the aluminum plug right?

Yes. You seem to have used a different license plate delete cover. The one I got is just a bent aluminum cover. No mounting hardware that I saw. It looks like my choices are to drill holes for screws or epoxy in in place. Unless I am missing something?

post #14 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No you are correct. Mine went into the trash and I used the Mopar one.
post #15 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

You are right...you would have to use an epoxy or drill holes to use the screws. I had the MOPAR delete plug from my previous setup before I took it all off to redo the Jeep with GenRight parts. I am planning on installing the aluminum plug, but had to go away on business and enroute back home today.

U.S. Army
post #16 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yes. You seem to have used a different license plate delete cover. The one I got is just a bent aluminum cover. No mounting hardware that I saw. It looks like my choices are to drill holes for screws or epoxy in in place. Unless I am missing something?
I used some thin 3M tape on mine. I don't like that plate, but it will be pretty easy to pop off and replace with a different one later.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #17 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks. I don't have a straight shot. Is this close enough?

Pretty much what I wanted. Thanks!

SOLD:
2012 Flame Red JKUR- Manual w/ 4.10s & Nav
JCR Front Pre-runner & Rear Dagger, RK 2.5" Flex System, Bilstein 5100s, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17 Tires, Black ATX Slot 17x9 Wheels
post #18 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Great write up man! I love this carrier but I am torn between this and the orfab one simply do to the price tag, but the genright one is just way more badass I guess I'll have to save some more cash.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #19 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
Great write up man! I love this carrier but I am torn between this and the orfab one simply do to the price tag, but the genright one is just way more badass I guess I'll have to save some more cash.
That was my dilemma. I REALLY wanted this one, but the price difference made me pause. I decided to get the GenRight, then I found out that the GenRight wouldn't hold a stock tire offset, so it looked like the OrFab was going to be the choice. Then Dave at GenRight told me he could modify the carrier to work with a stock offset....

post #20 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That was my dilemma. I REALLY wanted this one, but the price difference made me pause. I decided to get the GenRight, then I found out that the GenRight wouldn't hold a stock tire offset, so it looked like the OrFab was going to be the choice. Then Dave at GenRight told me he could modify the carrier to work with a stock offset....
That is great news, did it cost you extra for him to modify it? (if you don't mind me asking?) cause I am running the stock wheels as well. Also do you know what will need to be done to the carrier if I choose to get new wheels? TIA

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #21 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That is great news, did it cost you extra for him to modify it? (if you don't mind me asking?) cause I am running the stock wheels as well. Also do you know what will need to be done to the carrier if I choose to get new wheels? TIA
There was a slight up charge, not much more, but I didn't pay the full price listed on their web site. Call Marcus at River City Offroad, he handled all the details.

post #22 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Quote:
There was a slight up charge, not much more, but I didn't pay the full price listed on their web site. Call Marcus at River City Offroad, he handled all the details.
I'm not sure what you would do if you changed to new wheels with more offset, you'd need to pm Dave at GenRight about that...

post #23 of 48 Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you would do if you changed to new wheels with more offset, you'd need to pm Dave at GenRight about that...
Sounds good thanks for your help man.

post #24 of 48 Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I just spoke with Tony and Dave. They used silicone to mount the plate and some tape to hold in place overnight.

For the tire carrier using factory wheels, GenRight does have a different mounting arm to allow for both. Dave can help you when it comes time to change out wheels.

U.S. Army
post #25 of 48 Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
Hey guys, I just spoke with Tony and Dave. They used silicone to mount the plate and some tape to hold in place overnight.

For the tire carrier using factory wheels, GenRight does have a different mounting arm to allow for both. Dave can help you when it comes time to change out wheels.
Thanks for the info!! It looks like Dave will be getting some of my money within a week or two.

You have a very nice rig by the way I love the color combo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode