2011/2012 Rear Subwoofer Removal and Cargo Light Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2011/2012 Rear Subwoofer Removal and Cargo Light Install

General Post Info:

I have not yet seen a complete write up, with pictures, on how to remove the rear cargo plastic panels (including the subwoofer).

I did this recently to add a truck light and run wires from the battery, inside the cabin, to the truck light and some back-up flood lights that I added above the stock rear lights.

Thought I would share, enjoy and let me know if anything is unclear.

START:

To begin, the parts that I am talking about removing are shown in the following picture.

Now, I actually have a 2-door, but the removal of these pieces can't be that different on a 4-door.

The center portion (mat, and storage plastic that hold all the screws when the hard top is removed) should come right off with out the need for tools.

To start, remove the 4 hex screws that hold down the cargo tie down loops (two per side).

Next, unzip and lift the cloth roll cage covers near the pieces on each side,

Now, using a small flat head screw driver pop up the top plastic cover on each side,

These pieces should pop up easily.

On the driver side remove the small plastic cover by the upper corner (the piece has windshield wiper markings). Here is a picture with the piece removed, (Note the nut)

Do the same on the passenger side. These two pieces were a PITA to remove. I used a flat head to pry/pull these off. When I did some plastic connectors broke off, but when I put everything back together I didn't notice any rattling or movement from the components.

On the driver side (as seen on last image) and the passenger side (following image) remove the nuts holding the plastic components down. The nuts are 10mm.

Now on the driver side, the only thing holding the plastic to the frame is two clips. Simply pull on the plastic to remove it (a good amount of force is needed to remove the piece). Here is a picture of what the Jeep looks like with the piece removed,

Here is what the piece looks like outside of the Jeep (Note: I added the 6 inch LED light), Front:

Back:

Now, on the passenger side, There is still one wire connector attached to both the frame and the plastic (sub enclosure). This connector can be seen in the upper right corner here,

I found it easy to first pry of the sub woofer enclosure and then disconnect the wires from the frame. Note: This connector supplies power to both the sub and the 12v connector.

Here are some pictures of the sub outside the Jeep,

Now reverse the instructions to put everything back together.

Hope that was clear and helpful.

SIDE NOTE:
With everything removed it easy to run wires into the two brake light areas from inside the Jeep or vice versa. Simply run the wires through the grommets shown in here,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks, this will help with a few projects I've got lined up.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the pictures and explanation, I'm doing a CB install on my 2014. This helped a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2015, 06:46 AM

Mohave,
Great write up. Are you replacing the sub with another and relocating it? I also have a 2 door really dislike the cargo space it takes up.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM

Where Can I find one of these plug in subwoofers? I have a 2017 JK I would like to power up!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 11:39 AM

I'll sell you my panel with the sub included
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Still available ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode