Rock Hard 4x4 JK Oil Pan, Trans & Dual Cat Converter Skid Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rock Hard 4x4 JK Oil Pan, Trans & Dual Cat Converter Skid Install

Today I installed my Rock Hard Oil Pan / Trans skid plate. I searched for a write up and couldn't find one, so I wanted to write my own for others to use.

This is on a 2008 JK Unlimited Sahara.

Here we go....

This is what comes in the kit:

Here's what's in the bag of bolts:

This is the passenger side mounting arm. This is the first thing to install.

You will use the front hole below the motor mount. It is the one that is elongated.

Here's the passenger side mount installed. Be sure to leave this loose for now. No washers came with the kit, so I just found some for the bolt head.

Here is the driver side mounting arm. The shorter length of the arm will mount to the motor mount.

Getting the bolt in the slotted hole can be tricky. This is the only angle that I was able to make work. There wasn't enough room to use a washer on this side.

Here is an installed pic of the driver side mounting arm.

NOTE: I did not have a auto trans skid. If you do, remove it now. Also remove the Transfer case skid at this time. You will re-install it at the end.

Now install the driver side catalytic converter skid.

Now bolt up the front edge of the skid to the 2 mounting arms. I did this by myself, so I was laying on a creeper with the plate on top of me. I lifted up the front, hand tightened the bolts and then secured 1 bolt in on the rear of the plate.

2008 Rescue Green JKU Sahara

Last edited by RGJK; 02-20-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Next, connect the catalytic converter skid to the main skid. You will use the 2 button head bolts for this. If you install them in the shown manner it will be easier to snug them up.

This is the supplied spacer that drops the skid below the exhaust pipe cross over.

It installed between the skid and the crossmember.

Now you can start to tighten everything back up. I wanted to re-use my stock transfer case skid so used the original bolts to re-install it. I used the provided bolts on the other two holes.

After everything was tight I took it for a test drive and i noticed a slight rattle. This was due to the exhaust contacting the skid on the far driver side. To fix this I just loosened the bolts and put 2 washers on the far driver side bolt. Problem fixed.

Thats all there is to it. This skid seems very solid.

Enjoy!!
Dom

Last edited by RGJK; 02-19-2012 at 07:40 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 AM
DaK
Rock God

Very nicely documented... that rockhard stuff is good stuff right there. You will be happy you bought it when it comes time to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJK View Post
When I installed mine I cut off the little "wings" that protect the stock bolts on the transfer skid so the supplied bolt head sliders would fit.

After a few hard hits my skid dented and my exhaust cross-pipe would rattle against it. A combination of spacers (washers) on the crossmember bolts (between the crossmember and the spacer plate) and a few more rock hits to get it touching the exhaust fixed the problem.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Maybe this is an optical illusion but something seems to be missing here. Looks like the bolt head is missing from your upper control arm at the dif

Great write up on the skid system. I'm officially jealous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Holy cow! It does sort of look like that. I just went and checked to be sure. The nut is there and everything is secure

post #7 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Holy cow! It does sort of look like that. I just went and checked to be sure. The nut is there and everything is secure
I see the nut, is there a head on the bolt still?
I'm glad its just an optical illusion. That could have brought the suck.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the write up , i just picked mine up and ill probably tackle it tomorrow morning. how long did it take you?
post #9 of 19 Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You're welcome.

It took about three hours including the test drive and re-shimming of plate.

Have fun!

post #10 of 19 Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM

what size shims did you use?
post #11 of 19 Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

In addition to the spacer plate that came with the kit, I used 2 grade 8 washers. They are about 3/16 of an inch think each.

post #12 of 19 Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
In addition to the spacer plate that came with the kit, I used 2 grade 8 washers. They are about 3/16 of an inch think each.
EDIT: the washers are a total of 3/16 thick.

post #13 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Just got mine delivered and installed today. It only took me about 45 minutes to get it all buttoned up. Luckily I had already found this write up because my skid only came with half the directions. I ended up cutting the ears off my t-case skid so I could use the bolts and bolt skids that came with it.

Thanks for the awesome write up.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM

Any chance of getting the photos back online ? I'd love to read this writeup with the photos to help me understand thinks like "This is what comes in the kit"

Quote:
Today I installed my Rock Hard Oil Pan / Trans skid plate. I searched for a write up and couldn't find one, so I wanted to write my own for others to use.

This is on a 2008 JK Unlimited Sahara.

Here we go....

This is what comes in the kit:

Here's what's in the bag of bolts:

This is the passenger side mounting arm. This is the first thing to install.

You will use the front hole below the motor mount. It is the one that is elongated.

Here's the passenger side mount installed. Be sure to leave this loose for now. No washers came with the kit, so I just found some for the bolt head.

Here is the driver side mounting arm. The shorter length of the arm will mount to the motor mount.

Getting the bolt in the slotted hole can be tricky. This is the only angle that I was able to make work. There wasn't enough room to use a washer on this side.

Here is an installed pic of the driver side mounting arm.

NOTE: I did not have a auto trans skid. If you do, remove it now. Also remove the Transfer case skid at this time. You will re-install it at the end.

Now install the driver side catalytic converter skid.

Now bolt up the front edge of the skid to the 2 mounting arms. I did this by myself, so I was laying on a creeper with the plate on top of me. I lifted up the front, hand tightened the bolts and then secured 1 bolt in on the rear of the plate.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercazzola View Post
Any chance of getting the photos back online ? I'd love to read this writeup with the photos to help me understand thinks like "This is what comes in the kit"
I second this. Please show the pictures. I thought I was a fairly smart guy, but while my wife and I are installing this we are running into some issues. One guy said 45 mins to install this. HOLY smokes, I've been at this for hours, probably more than 2 and still aren't even close to getting oil skid up??? Any help would be great. Oh and where does this crazy spacer looking guy go??
post #16 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Granite Guru

Mine isn't a 2013, but here's a video I made of my install. I did get the one bolt skid to lay flat after I was done as well. I had to loosen the two rear bolts on the t-case skid to let it move laterally.

Installing the Rockhard 4X4 engine oil pan skid - YouTube

Last edited by J1000; 11-13-2013 at 12:15 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Wheeler

Subscribed!

I have the other 2 skids from Rock Hard parts, and a rear heavy-duty cross-member from Clayton - my original one was almost destroyed..

I am planning on installing this oil/ trans, but recently started having a problem with vibrations... anyone experiencing this problem? If so, how did you solved it? I have a feeling this vibrations comes from the exhaust system, when I press the throttle...

Any insights would be much appreciated!
post #18 of 19 Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubina View Post
Subscribed!

I have the other 2 skids from Rock Hard parts, and a rear heavy-duty cross-member from Clayton - my original one was almost destroyed..

I am planning on installing this oil/ trans, but recently started having a problem with vibrations... anyone experiencing this problem? If so, how did you solved it? I have a feeling this vibrations comes from the exhaust system, when I press the throttle...

Any insights would be much appreciated!
Yes, the vibration it adds is maddening; it hides other things that could be going wrong. My first attempt to reduce/dampen it was to take a long strip of rubber (actually a garage door bottom seal) and cut it to fit along the back edge of the skid with holes cut for the bolts, and rubber washes on both sides of the front arm mounts. It helped a little, but it is still noticable..
post #19 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Wheeler

sorry it took so long to get back...

I have found that the exhaust was vibrating agains one of the heat shields and that caused it. a quick fix in the exhaust hanger and so far...

I could not install anything else to create space, because of the HD cross-member. It leaves no room for further washers or even the shim plate.

If it starts doing it again, I will look into the same place again and next I will use a metal clamp - have seem this in another forum and it might work.

BTW, I can't seem any of the pics in the first post. Am I the only one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode