Genright Hood Louvers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
ADDICTION II build begins....

Genright Hood Louvers

Here are the GenRight Hood Louvers installed on the Jeep and is working great to keep the heat out! Basic measurements to ensure they are all lined up right are:

1. From edge of hood closest to the windshield, measure inner hood-side of the louver and should be placed 12" from the windshield edge of the hood.

2. Measure the outside corner of the louver from the windshield edge of the hood and should measure 11 3/4".

3. Then measure from the rubber pads on the hood (for resting the windshield when down) and measure 3" toward the outside of the hood and should be the starting edge of the hood louver.

4. Measure from the front of the hood (by the bumper) back to the start of the hood lover and should be the same on both sides....I measured 9" on both but I have that bug guard on my hood so I couldn't give you an accurate measure for how far back without a bug guard. (I am going to take the bug guard off soon and will adjust for what the measurement to the grill edge of the hood is)

5. I taped the hood louvers in place followed by drilling the mounting holes.

6. I then taped off the louver mount area from under the hood ensuring my "hole cut pattern" didn't include the hood support cross members. Make sure that you account for about 3/8" inward from the mounting holes for your cut lines....there will still be plenty of space for the heat airflow out of the engine compartment!

7. After I cut the holes, I taped off the top and underside of the hood and used matching color spray paint to paint the exposed metal.

8. After the paint dried, I used hex head "self-tapping" metal screws to mount the louvers on the Jeep....(same process I used to install the AEV snorkel a couple years back on my previous 2DR JK Rubi).

Here is a picture:

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 02-16-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That turned out to very pro looking. Nice work. The stock JK hood is just plain ugly, this really fixes that.

Sent by Monkey Flinging Poo

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 02-13-2012 at 11:49 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to demeeder

Well done.

2009 4dr Rubicon | 35" | 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
That turned out to very pro looking. Nice work. The stock JK hood is just plain ugly, this really fixes that.

Sent by Monkey Flinging Poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by demeeder View Post
Well done.

Thanks guys! Took me a couple hours to do it, but the Dremel was my friend.

1. I recommend that anyone else who does the louver addition buy several of the black Dremel cutting discs as I went through 4 of them on the first hole before going back to the store for more (the hood took it's toll on the discs).

2. DONT buy the brown metal cutting discs like I did. I thought I would go that route because it said "Heavy Duty" and had 20 per pack. I went through 15 of those brown discs and a good 5 or 6 of the discs snapped in half while cutting.

3. Don't use a 7" cutting wheel to try and save time to cut faster....that doesn't work out too well with trying to cut an accurate line! I tested the center of the cut area first before I started cutting and quickly reverted to the Dremel!

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode