I had some time to myself Sunday so I installed the Teraflex hood strut kit I won in the Christmas giveaway. (Thank You Teraflex!!!) The installation was super easy and only takes about half an hour or so. (I went through 2 beers and a cigar.) The kit (plus some):
Close up of the hardware:
The tools I used:
First thing to do was enlarge a couple of existing holes on the sides of the fender wells.
The first was easy enough:
A bracket had to be removed to enlarge the passenger side hole:
With a step bit and cordless drill this takes no time at all. The struts then simply bolt on through the enlarged holes. The instruction say to torque to 15 ft-lbs so I had to use my old balance beam torque wrench and went to 175 in-lbs.
The instructions weren’t clear on this but I used the strut end bolt to hold the accessory bracket in place on the passenger side. I double checked to make sure clearance wasn’t an issue:
The next step was marking and drilling the holes for the brackets to be bolted onto the hood. The instructions say to place some painters masking tape at 20-24” from the bottom of the hood and then mark 22” on the tape. It was hard to tell from the picture in the instructions but the tape should overlap the hood insulation and the part of the metal just slightly. Also, the instructions say to use the bracket and 22” mark to mark where to drill the bolt holes. What they don’t say is to line the end of the bracket up with the 22” mark as opposed to the center hole of the bracket or whatnot. I double checked the backing plate with the existing slot in the hood and the marks for the holes before drilling and realized I was wrong:
A quick adjustment and I had new holes marked for drilling:
After drilling I followed the instruction’s tip of taping the backing plate in place to keep it from falling inside the hood:
After getting the bolts started into the backing plate I hand-tightened the bolts as much as I could with a nut-driver:
I had to play with order of installation of the little clips that hold the struts on to get them installed since the final position of the struts puts them to close to part of the hood but it was easy enough:
Once complete the hood stood up easily enough on its own:
Another big thank you to Teraflex!