Teraflex Hood Strut Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

Teraflex Hood Strut Kit

I had some time to myself Sunday so I installed the Teraflex hood strut kit I won in the Christmas giveaway. (Thank You Teraflex!!!) The installation was super easy and only takes about half an hour or so. (I went through 2 beers and a cigar.) The kit (plus some):

Close up of the hardware:

The tools I used:

First thing to do was enlarge a couple of existing holes on the sides of the fender wells.

The first was easy enough:

A bracket had to be removed to enlarge the passenger side hole:

With a step bit and cordless drill this takes no time at all. The struts then simply bolt on through the enlarged holes. The instruction say to torque to 15 ft-lbs so I had to use my old balance beam torque wrench and went to 175 in-lbs.

The instructions weren’t clear on this but I used the strut end bolt to hold the accessory bracket in place on the passenger side. I double checked to make sure clearance wasn’t an issue:

The next step was marking and drilling the holes for the brackets to be bolted onto the hood. The instructions say to place some painters masking tape at 20-24” from the bottom of the hood and then mark 22” on the tape. It was hard to tell from the picture in the instructions but the tape should overlap the hood insulation and the part of the metal just slightly. Also, the instructions say to use the bracket and 22” mark to mark where to drill the bolt holes. What they don’t say is to line the end of the bracket up with the 22” mark as opposed to the center hole of the bracket or whatnot. I double checked the backing plate with the existing slot in the hood and the marks for the holes before drilling and realized I was wrong:

A quick adjustment and I had new holes marked for drilling:

After drilling I followed the instruction’s tip of taping the backing plate in place to keep it from falling inside the hood:

After getting the bolts started into the backing plate I hand-tightened the bolts as much as I could with a nut-driver:

I had to play with order of installation of the little clips that hold the struts on to get them installed since the final position of the struts puts them to close to part of the hood but it was easy enough:

Once complete the hood stood up easily enough on its own:

Another big thank you to Teraflex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
bkw
Granite Guru

When open, is it higher or lower than the height of the hood in it's stock position? I'm 5'10" and my JK has 35's and a TF 3" lift and I can just grab the hood to close it. If it's higher, then I guess I'll have to mount a rope or something

2009 Stone White JKU
RIPP | Teraflex | Bilstein | AEV | Dunlop | Smittybilt | ARB | IPF | Hella | Pioneer | PPi
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkw View Post
When open, is it higher or lower than the height of the hood in it's stock position? I'm 5'10" and my JK has 35's and a TF 3" lift and I can just grab the hood to close it. If it's higher, then I guess I'll have to mount a rope or something
I installed mine about a week ago it was an inch or so higher once open compared to the stock position. I have a 4" lift and 35's and at 6 foot tall I had to really reach for mine.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Granite Guru

Great write-up. Another thing to point out that I encountered was with the soft screws used for the hood mount into the bracket is I was able to snap two of them off by overtightening them. They are make out of some soft metal like aluminum or something and while I was tightening them up and compressing the hood insulation it felt like they were not tight and gave them an extra turn and snapped 2 heads off. I was lucky to have some extras and able to get the broken part of the screw out pretty easy, but something for others to think about before anyone encounters the same thing I did.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #5 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
JKowners Vendor

Thanks for doing this write up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

i have this kit sitting in my garage but just been putting it off. i do have two questions though,

1. do you have to take the little ball out of the top end of the strut to fit it to the one on the bracket? confused how you attach the strut to the hood bracket.

2. did you happen to try and compress the struts before you installed them? i just tried out of curiosity and couldn't do it. don't know if its supposed to be like that or maybe mine are damaged?

Teraflex - Poly Performance - Poison Spyder - Off Road Hero's - Rugged Ridge - Superchips - Goodyear - aFe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode