Nitro dana 30 sleeve install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 138 Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nitro dana 30 sleeve install

Decided to install the Nitro sleeves into my dana 30 even though there was little info available on them but I liked the no weld option and it is cheap insurance from bending the axle tubes. I have a 2dr with 35s with 4.88 gears and Poly c gussets just for a little info.
As always Marcus at RCO was great on answering my questions (even responding to Pms on a Sun evening) and got these shipped out quick to me at a great price!
The sleeves

First we put the jeep frame on jackstands and let the suspension fully droop. Remove the tire and wheel, brake caliper and rotor, axle shaft and hub (no need to remove the axle nut, the shaft and hub can be removed together.) We also removed the knuckle from the C but left it connected to the steering.

We started with the short side first, cleaned the inside of the tube and the sleeve. Lightly started tapping the sleeve in with a hammer and a block of wood. Don’t forget to stuff a rag inside the sleeve to keep debris out during the install. Once the sleeve is started into the axle tube is when the fun starts! Quickly found out that the wood was not going to hold up to the beating from a sledge hammer so we ended up using the blade side of an axe(the instructions say to use a bearing race/seal driver which we did not have). I realize this probably not the best tool for the job but it was what we had available and it worked good on the short side. The short side went in easy enough but was still tight enough that I have no doubt that there is no need for any welding. These things are not going anywhere once they are in there!

The instructions said to beat he sleeve in until it was flush but the short shaft side stopped a little short of flush which still left plenty of clearance for everything so we left it that way.

We marked it with a paint marker as a reference but I really doubt it is going to move.

Reassemble everything and move on to the disassembly of the passenger side. For us the passenger side was much more difficult to tap in then the driver side. The passenger side took a lot more pounding to get it to slide into the tube. Not sure if this was because my axle was slightly bent, I did a poor job of cleaning the tube first or the tolerances were off a little on the sleeve but here is how we dealt with it. We beat the shit out of it!

With the end of the sleeve being so deformed we knew it wasn’t going to fit into the tube so we got in as far as we could and cut about ¼” off the end with an angle grinder. We then tapped it in a little more until it would no longer move. Using the driver set would have prevented this from happening just wanted to accurately document how we dealt with it.

Check the clearances between the sleeve and the shaft and reassemble everything.
Took a short test drive and admired the days work with a cold beer.

My thoughts:
I probably didn’t do a good enough job of cleaning out the axle tube and that is why the passenger side required it literally having to be beat in. I don’t think cutting off ¼” of the sleeve will affect the strength the sleeve.
The instructions said to use a bearing race/seal driver set which we didn't have. Using this would probably have prevented most of the mushrooming on the passenger side sleeve.
I will occasionally check the paint markers to verify but I don’t see the need to weld these in. The tolerances between the tube and the sleeve and the long knurled end is more then enough to hold the sleeve in place.
These sleeves are a good option for someone who doesn’t have access to a welder or doesn’t want to pay someone to drill and fill weld all the holes that the other sleeve options require. Plus they are compatible with the large 35 spline shafts.

Last edited by HeloJeff; 12-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 AM
JKO Addict!

How long have your 35s been on there? I suspect the long side wasn't true?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Rock God

Are sleeves a MUST for d30's with 35's?

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cool. Thanks for the write-up. These are sitting in my garage ...going in with a few other goodies in a few weeks.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeeJaySeven+JKU View Post
Are sleeves a MUST for d30's with 35's?

No. Not necessary, depending on your driving habits ...but a good insurance policy.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #6 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
How long have your 35s been on there? I suspect the long side wasn't true?
Had the 35s on for about 9k miles now. Installed the c gussets not long after putting the lift and tires on. The reason I think it was a cleaning issue was because the passenger side was more difficult to even get started where the driver side was easily started with a small hammer and block of wood.
post #7 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloJeff View Post
Had the 35s on for about 9k miles now. Installed the c gussets not long after putting the lift and tires on. The reason I think it was a cleaning issue was because the passenger side was more difficult to even get started where the driver side was easily started with a small hammer and block of wood.
Define "cleaning the axle"? Try lightly beveling the leading edge of the sleeve?

Torque the track bar after slapping that axle around with a 15lb sledge!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The first couple inches of the axle tube had some dirt and debris in it. I used a rag to clean it out but now that I think about it a little it would have been best to take a small dremel and make sure the tube was perfectly clean.
Thanks for the reminder about the trackbar not a bad idea to check the torque on it.
post #9 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

what kind of price did you get these sleeves for?

Will the sleeves work with Nitro's cromoly axle shafts? I have their shafts that run the larger u joints...not sure f the axle shaft itself is any larger than stock, but if someone knows whether they should work together, that'd be awesome news...

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #10 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Yes the Nitro shafts also work with the Nitro sleeves. You should have used a bearing race driver puck and the sleeve would have not mushroomed at all and you would have had the install wrapped up in less than an hour.

Sent from my K1 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Thanks again for doing the write up!

These sleeves were designed to work with axle shafts up to 35 spline so yes, they will work with Nitro axle shafts.

The use of the bearing race driver and plenty of WD or PB Blaster will make future installs a bit more simple.

Thanks again!

Marcus

post #12 of 138 Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
The use of the bearing race driver and plenty of WD or PB Blaster will make future installs a bit more simple.
I definitely agree the right tools would have made the job easier. The instructions even say to use the driver but we didn't have one so we used what we had.

Edited the write-up to make sure there is no confusion. The mushrooming was caused by our install method and would not have occurred if the proper methods were used to install the sleeves.

Last edited by HeloJeff; 12-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.
post #13 of 138 Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Wheeler

If you can put the tubes in the freezer for a day or so and they go in alot easier.
post #14 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo1 View Post
If you can put the tubes in the freezer for a day or so and they go in alot easier.
I just heard that and I am going to try that when I do the install. Talking t a guy he said that they would pack sleeves in dry ice which would cause the metal to constrict enough to get them on. He was talking about larger machinery pieces though.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #15 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Rock God

We do it in aviation with bushings too. I was planning on freezing mine for a few days if I do this mod.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

post #16 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will let you know. Will be in the freezer tomorrow for a weekend instal.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #17 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Rock God

Do they require any of the diff to be removed? Does the cover just come off to remove the axles or do you need to remove the gears and seals too?

Big B.

post #18 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeeJaySeven+JKU View Post
Do they require any of the diff to be removed? Does the cover just come off to remove the axles or do you need to remove the gears and seals too?
No real reason to pull the cover. Axles do not have c-clips or anything that require the cover to come off to remove.

post #19 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Sweet! That makes it better.

Big B.

post #20 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Like Goody already said no need to do anything with the diff. Axle shafts will come out after being unbolted from the knuckle. The axle seals will hold the diff fluid in as long as the axle is kept relatively level.
post #21 of 138 Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Rock God

Christmas is coming up soon if anyone wants to get me a set. I'll promise send a thank you card.

Big B.

post #22 of 138 Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Wheeler

Here's the issue with not pulling the cover, as you stated you know there was a issue with the tube not being cleaned properly, even slightly dirty even. Plus you very well possibly have some shavings etc that are now inside your diff from installing these, piece of mind would at least to pull the diff cover and flush the housing and refill. A couple minutes of extra work could save yourself hours and hundreds of dollars down the road for possible damaged gears, bearings and diffs.
post #23 of 138 Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara4me View Post
Here's the issue with not pulling the cover, as you stated you know there was a issue with the tube not being cleaned properly, even slightly dirty even. Plus you very well possibly have some shavings etc that are now inside your diff from installing these, piece of mind would at least to pull the diff cover and flush the housing and refill. A couple minutes of extra work could save yourself hours and hundreds of dollars down the road for possible damaged gears, bearings and diffs.
So you'd plan on pulling the differential as well while you were at it? Then? The axle seals so you can get to the tubes? Just spraying things out isn't going to get where the shavings are going to be.

Only way to really be successful in "cleaning everything" would be to pull the differential and axle seals [replacing them]. Not really an extra couple of minutes.

post #24 of 138 Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I think pulling the diff and seals is unnecessary. I knew when I installed these that I will be changing diff covers next week and will be cleaning out the diff and changing fluid then. I will report back if I have any shavings in my fluid.
post #25 of 138 Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM
JKO Addict!

So this kit isnt welded in at all just slide in and voila?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode