Belt drive compressor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Belt drive compressor

Ok guys. Most know the 80's square style AC compressor can be made into a Air Compressor, but has anyone stuck one on a jk? I have a unit coming to me to try but always look the brotherhood for input....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Rock God

I believe it's off road only that sells the mounting bracket with belt and pulley for a york compressor. If that's what your talking about when you say square compressor.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Kilby Enterprise makes the mounting kit for JK's. ORO (and others) resell it.

http://www.onboardair.com/KE-2200.htm

I'm a JKO Reject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys. I will check them both out. We will see if this is going to work.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sucks the mounting is so complicated on a JK i made a mount for one on my suburban with scrap metal.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
sucks the mounting is so complicated on a JK i made a mount for one on my suburban with scrap metal.
I know. I am just hoping i can get a clutch for a serpentine belt that will fit AND find room for it.

I know i could have bought a compressor by now, but it is more fun to try and make one
post #7 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Rock God

I have the ORO system. It's awesome.

I can fill tires and use air tools in the middle of nowhere.

Eta: I do believe that something was done to the York so that it could compress air and not Coolant.

Is kilby still in business?

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by RubiZealot; 12-05-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: .
post #8 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Granite Guru

I have the kilby setup, with a junkyard compressor. I only ordered the parts I had to from there, and sourced the rest at Home Depot and Ryder Fleet Products (Serpentine).

I have had a Kilby setup on 2 jeeps now, and it works well. If I had to do it again, I would probably do the dual ARB electric setup now so as not to add parts to the engine bay. Up until that came out, the York really was the best as far as CFMs. The new ARB comes close now though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #9 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

thats what snice about the york is you dont need to do anything to it to make it pump air. i ran one on my bagged suburban that filled 35gal tank (well 2 tanks that equaled 35gal). i have a spare that i kept when i sold it and id love to get it on the jeep but that damn bracket kit is expensive

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Well, I'm not an "expert," but my understanding is the only thing you need to do is put an oil separator on the output of the compressor and periodically refill the compressor with oil. There is actually a mod that feeds the drain from the separator back into the compressor, though I believe it requires manual intervention to do so?

I'm a JKO Reject
post #11 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My father in law is a pure redneck and has done the needed change to the compressor. There is a port that. Needs to be pluged and put oil in the compressor. I have assisted but not done it on my own.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Rock God

My setup. The only thing I bought was the ORO's bracket and pulley. If I had the brackets in front of me, I could've replicated it. Brackets for the check valve and separator I made. Used an aluminum air block for the pressure switch, pop off valve, gauge, and chuck. Did it all for under $500. Picked up a new 6 groove serpentine clutch from Ryder fleet services, $120 shipped. 165 PSI shut off, 150 PSI turn on Viair pressure switch. 175 PSI pop off valve, check valve, and separator from Grainger. I could do away with the check valve and separator. Don't need it IMO. Could be done for under $400. Used 4,000 PSI hydraulic hose for the discharge on the compressor. It makes A LOT of heat and pressure and regular air hose bubbles and could burst. The steel braided hydraulic hose works MINT. I actually removed the head on the compressor, drilled and tapped for normal NPT thread and put a barb at the end. Fuck giving Kilby $65 a fitting for the head...stupid.

Since those pics all the red hose has been upgraded to black Goodyear airline (red was Lowe's air line hose, sucks BALLS. It expands too much and cuts itself on the clamps).

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"

Last edited by Suffolk JK; 12-05-2011 at 04:55 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Dude that rocks. Same belt or longer one? I will check ORO for the bracket. The rest I can fab.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Rock God

OROs unit comes with a belt. IMO, you need nothing from ORO. The new pulley they supply you is 3.5" outside diameter. I had a buddy of mine machine one out of billet aluminum since the Chinese junk they supplied failed. Pressed in a German sealed bearing and that's it. The belt is a Gates off the shelf belt. I'll get the part # from my spare belt in the truck and let you know...

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #15 of 21 Old 12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I had a complete Kilby OBA system on my YJ, a great kit. I even ran the front ARB off of it using Kilby's pressure step-down valve, manifold, etc. Had chucks piped in front & back, a 1.75 gal tank underneath the rig and we plumbed it with plastic 18 wheeler air brake line using quick connects. Only issue I had with it was the switch Brad supplied, which was prone to dirt contaminating the contacts. I got a sealed Viair switch with the same switching pressure limits from Rubicon Express, cured the matter completely. On my JK I opted for a Powerplant so I had a two for one solution. Air pump works great for tires but the Kilby system would kick it's ass in a comparison.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Slow and Low

The main difference between the York(used in ORO and Kilby kits) and the common AC compressors is that the York has an oil pan, while the AC compressors are lubricated by the refrigerant.
I've seen many guys convert AC compressors to air only by simply installing an air tool oiler on the intake line and filling it periodically. Works great.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Kilby Enterprise makes the mounting kit for JK's. ORO (and others) resell it.

http://www.onboardair.com/KE-2200.htm
WRONG!!!!!! Steve at ORO made the Mounting kit for the OBA using the york. I know this for fact cause my jeep was one of his R&D Jeeps back in FEB 2007. Oh and i was there when they were making the mounting brakets!
post #18 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well the compressor I had lying around is frozen up. So off to the pick and pull when I can to get one.
Thanks everyone for the input.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalhabit View Post
WRONG!!!!!! Steve at ORO made the Mounting kit for the OBA using the york. I know this for fact cause my jeep was one of his R&D Jeeps back in FEB 2007. Oh and i was there when they were making the mounting brakets!
I have talked to Steve, and he is a welth of knowledge. Cant wait to get this done.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

Ive seen this in person...kinda wanting to do this
post #21 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have a compressor sitting in my garage waiting for me to do this as well. My electric doesn't work anymore so I will probably get on this during the summer after I get back to the U.S.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode