MadMyk's Rear bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
MadMyk's Rear bumper

The electrician/novice metal worker is at it again. Two years after I made my front bumper (see the index) I decided to take a run at a rear stubber with a swing away tire carrier. Just got my rig up on 35's and wanted a better set up for running the spare.
I had taken some pictures earlier on, but my phone got stolen over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I've got these few I'll post now.

Here's the front face with a recessed license plate spot. I cut the license plate sized area out of the 3/16 plate and added some side pieces. I know this isn't a priority on alot of aftermarket bumpers, but I wanted it, and it will look good at the finish. Behind the face is a bar for my Jerry Can mounts. I cut 90* angles out of a piece of 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x3/16" stock and bent it with my mitts and welded the angles. More on that later. vvv

The tire carrier. 2x2x3/16 on the 90* angles and 1 1/2x1 1/2x3/16 on the 60* angles. Holes in the center of the vertical and at the hinge side of the horizontal for brake light wiring. Tie wire routed through for now. Hi Lift mount plate near the protractor????

Hinge side top...vvv

and bottom vvv

^^^ These two show the physical stopping means for the swing away portion. I took 3/8" stock and welded it to a piece of 3/16" in a T fashion. I then cut a slot in the top, ran the 3/8" vertical and welded the plate to the underside, and the 3/8" along the seam of the hole. Should be stout. I've got a plan for the way to hold the swing away open coming soon.

VVV "Gate" side. This is where the swing away will latch into place. This contraption on the corner will get more attention soon, but my attachment means will be there, as well as the cb antenna mount.

VVV This is my front I built in 2009

Yeah, I could have bought one, but I have so much pride with the first one I built 2 years ago, I can't wait for this one to be done.

Just when they think they have all the answers, I go and change the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyk View Post
The electrician/novice metal worker is at it again. Two years after I made my front bumper (see the index) I decided to take a run at a rear stubber with a swing away tire carrier. Just got my rig up on 35's and wanted a better set up for running the spare.
I had taken some pictures earlier on, but my phone got stolen over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I've got these few I'll post now.

Here's the front face with a recessed license plate spot. I cut the license plate sized area out of the 3/16 plate and added some side pieces. I know this isn't a priority on alot of aftermarket bumpers, but I wanted it, and it will look good at the finish. Behind the face is a bar for my Jerry Can mounts. I cut 90* angles out of a piece of 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x3/16" stock and bent it with my mitts and welded the angles. More on that later. vvv

The tire carrier. 2x2x3/16 on the 90* angles and 1 1/2x1 1/2x3/16 on the 60* angles. Holes in the center of the vertical and at the hinge side of the horizontal for brake light wiring. Tie wire routed through for now. Hi Lift mount plate near the protractor????

Hinge side top...vvv

and bottom vvv

^^^ These two show the physical stopping means for the swing away portion. I took 3/8" stock and welded it to a piece of 3/16" in a T fashion. I then cut a slot in the top, ran the 3/8" vertical and welded the plate to the underside, and the 3/8" along the seam of the hole. Should be stout. I've got a plan for the way to hold the swing away open coming soon.

VVV "Gate" side. This is where the swing away will latch into place. This contraption on the corner will get more attention soon, but my attachment means will be there, as well as the cb antenna mount.

VVV This is my front I built in 2009

Yeah, I could have bought one, but I have so much pride with the first one I built 2 years ago, I can't wait for this one to be done.
looking good!!!
post #3 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

Any pics of the bumper mocked up on the rear of the jeep yet? Front looks damn good. Nice skills man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Nothing mocked up up yet, I've got the support points in, but the top isn't tacked to the face. Working on it tomorrow, will have some new pics tomorrow night.

post #5 of 18 Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Last weekend was pretty productive on the project. Worked mostly on the tire carrier. I wanted to put the HiLift on the carrier. I was initially thinking about running it horizontally, but decided to re-use the Rampage (I think???) lift stand that I installed on the rear door hinge.

First I made a bump out to put set the base/foot stand on to run the lift up one of the angle pieces

After installing the bump out, I put the foot stand on.
I know I missed alot of pictures, but most of it is done by myself, so you know, most pictures will be after the action happened.

Across the middle of the tire carrier, I wanted Jerry cans and ammo cans to hold *insert handy Jeep accessory, to include liquids here* This part has got me pretty excited how it will turn out. Even though this is 1 1/2" tubing x 3/16" I am confident it will hold up with my support means "to be covered later"

More to come next time...

post #6 of 18 Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

The back is set up with bedlined hinges and my own custom made rear plate.

Still working today, just remembered to post this up

post #7 of 18 Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Granite Guru

Haha. I welded Ammo cans to my Hmmv once. That was quite a little pain to get the settings right. Looks cool though.

Too much to list but never enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Back to work last weekend. Went to work on the face of the bumper and the latching mechanism of the swing away. At work, there were some surplus angle braces from the precast concrete erection team. These 4x4 right angle pieces are galvanized 3/4" thick, and just what I needed. I cut them with a bandsaw and drilled out a 7/8" hole with my drill press. I cut a hole in the bumper and fed the angled part through and welded away.

The swing away had one piece that I had to weld on it. I ran 4 1/4"-20 bolts through a 2x2 piece of steel, cut the heads off and welded them in place on the back. I then welded that piece to the end of the swing away.

What the hell for? My De-Sta-Co Pull Action Latch Model 341-RSS, 2000lbs holding capacity, Stainless Steel, with safety lock.

Coupled with the Gate piece I was talking about in earlier posts, this is what it will look like.

As you can see on the gate, the cb antenna mount is installed in place.

To all the naysayers, I do subscribe to the "two is one and one is none" theory. This latch will not be the sole securing means to the 190+lbs that will be on this gate piece. There will be more to come.

Starting to look like something, I think. Got some grinding to do...always.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Very nice handy work.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Will wonders never cease?!

Great work!

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #11 of 18 Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM
JKO Addict!

So far so good. Looking forward to the finished product!

Greg
post #12 of 18 Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

On the left, a spare tire plate made by "company x" with the 5x5 pattern shown by the arrows. I wasn't happy with that layout and angle I would have to install it at, so I used it as a template and stepped up to the drill press. I'll cut the plate down how I like, and now only have the holes I need.

Doesn't seem like much, but that was a night's work.

post #13 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

After a couple of weeks, I have a progress report. This project is taking about as long as I thought, going on two months now. I just want it done at this point, but I'm not about to take shortcuts now, I'm in fact doing a bit extra. On the Jerry Can/Ammo Can bar, I put a 45 on it to give it a bit more strength.

On this picture describing the means of securing the swing away to the bumper, I said that I needed two ways to keep the carrier closed or else it would be bound to fail (per Murphy's Law 1.1: If you are reliant on something not to fail, it will).

Here is the way I have gone about addressing the issue. This will be a teaser of a bit until the complete system is revealed, but I will let you know the details so far. This is a 1/2" OD steel tube that I have welded through the carrier. The "Gate" will have a matching hole to allow a pin to drop down and keep things secure as I meander down the road

Living in the DC area, it was freaking amazing that on January 1, we had temperatures in the 60's. I had enough work done on the bumper/carrier to start painting this weekend so I took out my rattle cans and went to work. I'll give you all this shot of the carrier in the primer phase. On Saturday, I was able to get the end caps on the top and swing side, as well as welding on the 2"x2" square for the tire itself. You may see that I put on a 1-1/2" round stock at a 30/60 degree for a brace.

Ready For Paint

See you next time

post #14 of 18 Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Here's the start to this weekend's work. Started at the swing away and welded on the sleeve. Put about three levels on the carrier and sleeve combined to get everything plumb. Grinded it down, all it will take now is a bit of primer and paint. All the carrier needs now is the wheel mount plate for it to be 100%.

After I got the sleeve on, I could drop the spindle in the top piece and get everything set up like it will be on the Jeep. I put the bearings in and tightened the castle nut. I know what the height of the base will be so I set some 1 1/2" stock between the base and the top. I set the gate piece on the other side and shimmed it into place.

Trusty dollar bill works as a good shim

Got some more work to do tonight, gotta shut the update down for tonight.

post #15 of 18 Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looking good mike! Your front bumper came out great, this is looking to be even better. Like the handle mechanism you are using. great work
post #16 of 18 Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Had to break to re-assemble the Hi-Lift after a cleaning and repaint. There are threads out there describing how to do that so just a couple of pics will do.

Back to the spindle install...
I wanted to strengthen the spindle as much as possible, so I got a piece of 2"x2"x1/4" stock that the spindle base slid into about perfectly. I bumped out with a piece of 3/8" flat stock on the framerail support which is also 3/8". That allowed me to slide the 2"x2" on the spindle base and butt it right up to the (now) 3/4" laminated structure.

Here are some pics to clarify the 1000 words.

I welded the base of the spindle on the top and from the underside, then the square stock all the way around the support, and finally the spindle to the interior of the square stock. I put a cap on the whole thing, that's not shown, but you get the idea.

Don't think I'm going to have a problem with the spindle turning very much.

Off to the shop tomorrow...

post #17 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

Working on the same project...
Where did you get the gate from I like it ?!
post #18 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Rock God

Wow those welds...

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode