Made a "Trunk Cover" for my Rubi - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Made a "Trunk Cover" for my Rubi

Took some time off from work so decided to tackle the project I had been planning.
My neighbors daughter made sure everything fit just right and helped with the Herculiner.
Got the diamond plate, hinge, rivets, screws,grinder, file and everything I thought I needed and went to cutting and fitting.
This is what I came up with.
Trunk cover with piano hinge so I can open the lid to get to stuff at the rear of the trunk - that sucker is pretty deep when what you need is at the rear!

Woodbridge, VA
11 JK Rubicon Unlimited
09 JK X Unlimited = Traded-in
82 CJ-7 - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I CAN'T BE OVERDRAWN....:
I STILL HAVE CHECKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

how much weight can you put on that? No support underneath?

I think it turned out great! congrats.

sent from my Samsung using tapatalk

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #3 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoony View Post
how much weight can you put on that? No support underneath?

I think it turned out great! congrats.

sent from my Samsung using tapatalk
There is a piece of steel angle iron that runs just underneath the hinge from side to side. Plus the back piece behind the seats adds strentgh to the edge, my little helper stood on it (40lbs) and it did not bend at all. Figure it should be good for at least 60-80lbs the piece is relatively short so the back & angle iron should be good for it. I really don't plan to load a bunch of heavy stuff on top especially now that I can lock it away. Maybe a cooler and some sleeping bags or just the mat for the dog to lay on. The front or "door" will probably hold a lot less as the only thing holding it up is some aluminumstrip providing an edge for it to sit on and it is clamped underneath with some toggle clamps - I'll get pics later.

Woodbridge, VA
11 JK Rubicon Unlimited
82 CJ-7 - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I STILL HAVE CHECKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Wheeler

Where did you find the Diamond Plate? I found some online but having a hard time finding any locally.

Thanks.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn4x4 View Post
Where did you find the Diamond Plate? I found some online but having a hard time finding any locally.

Thanks.
I am in VA, I got the metal from Potomac Steel near Springfield.
If you are familiar with this area they are on Lois-Dale Rd near the Springfield Mall. The sheet of 1/4" 4x8 was I believe around $230 and they did the big cuts for me before I picked it up.
Hope this helps

Woodbridge, VA
11 JK Rubicon Unlimited
82 CJ-7 - SOLD

I STILL HAVE CHECKS!!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Wheeler

great job looks really cool. i may have to try this some time. alot cheaper that buying one and you get the satisfaction that you made it.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Rock God

nice job, arent you a little young to be driving?

O||||O
post #8 of 13 Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Some people have asked me how did I attach the panels so let me see if I can explain this so it makes sense.
I didn't want to drill too many holes in my tub so I came up with sort of a clamping system.
The rear panels are bolted together at the inside by the rollbar and screwed thru the tub to a piece of steel under the edge of the tub.
The hole or notch at the rear panel is so I can run my washer and elecrical lines to the hard top as the panel will fit with the hard top in place.
The side panels are screwed to 2 pieces of plate the clamp or squeeze the edge together as you tighten the screws.
For the access panel I lock it wit a pair of toggle clamps (Ithink that's what they are called with some foam seal added to prevent rattles.
I also added some foam to the lip the panel rests on and so far it seems to work as it does not rattle at all and stays nice and tight.
Here are some pics to hopefully show how it works.
I also added 4 more tie downs so I can tie down the soft top, but now can strap down cooler, sleeping bags or any other items that I don't stick underneath.

Woodbridge, VA
11 JK Rubicon Unlimited
82 CJ-7 - SOLD

I STILL HAVE CHECKS!!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

I like it, especially the pieces you installed for the straps to hold down the softop when folded back

very neat and tidy

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Nice job man, thats top of the line! I like the tie downs too! I'm going to have to try this.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Granite Guru

ME LIKE! Nice job. I'm going to give this mod a try
post #12 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Why didn't you run it all the way so that the hard top sits on the outer edge? And how did you taper the edge facing the tailgate with that curve? Just asking cause I need this badly. Already had my JK broken into once.

Thanks in advance.
Orlando

09 Black JKUR
post #13 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

this is perfect and exactly what i am looking for. Did you have the metal shop make that bend for you behind the rear seats? I really like how you made it able to open and close i was thinking about doing that but i think just a flat piece would be much easier haha, any way looks great man i will be using your write up for mine as soon as i can find the diamond plate.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode