Rock Slider protection idea - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Rock Slider protection idea

I have been reading in various places online about methods people have used to protect their rock sliders when in extreme rocky terrain.

I have an idea and am wondering if anybody has considered it. There is a 3M product out there called a keel guard that is used to protect the hull of your boat when beaching. I put one on my boat nearly 10 years ago in 2002 and have run up on a lot of sandy beaches and hit rocks and other stuff. Even with the gouges from rocks and such the keel guard still looks very good. My boat weighs around 10000 lbs. so I can attest to the durability of the 3M Keel Guard product.

I think it would make an excellent Rock Slider add on and would be easy to do. It can be made to conform to shapes, easy to cut with a power saw and is available in several colors.The color is all the way through the keel guard (not just the surface) so scratchs and gouges don't appear bad at all. The finish product should look pretty cool. It's also slick so it should slide as well as the sliders.

Let me know what you think?

Here is a link to a site with some decent pictures and pricing:
http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...ard/order.html

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Rock God

You want to get protection for your protection? Give them a whack with a rattle can every once in a while to keep them from rusting. I don't believe this should be in the write up forum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
You want to get protection for your protection? Give them a whack with a rattle can every once in a while to keep them from rusting. I don't believe this should be in the write up forum?
There are actually alot of ppl out there putting "protection on their protection”.

I'm not actually looking at this as a "protection for my protection" more so than I am looking at this as a benefit feature to the protection we are already using. There are many types of off road Jeeps out there and some ppl do like to keep their Jeeps in rather nice condition.

If I spend $1000 on FabFour rock sliders that protect my Jeep from the real hard knocks and I come up with an additional component that improves that feature as well as the appearance of the slider then WTH why not. I wouldn’t call that adding protection for my protection; I would call that enhancing the idea and making for an improved product.

Of course I could remain in my little box and forget about possibilities that might be waiting outside my little box…

I figured I might get a little grief on this subject.

So how many ppl out there would protect their rock sliders or if they saw a rock slider product with a replaceable gouge feature would consider it for their own Jeep.

Honestly if you were out shopping for a slider and the company you liked most offered a slider with this replaceable strip would you consider it?

I only considered this idea after reading in other off road forums of what other people are already doing to protect their sliders. The concept is by far from a new one, so I can’t take the credit. Some pretty crazy ideas going on out there like PVC pipe wraps over tubular rails (don’t think I would go with that one … but whatever works for ya…)

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
How tos...

The "Write Up Forum" is intended as a place for "How to's" so I think this would be the right place to post for a how to improve the protection of your rock sliders...

Forrest Grumpy

Last edited by ezfriday; 09-24-2011 at 11:30 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Rock God

I see what your saying, I personally don't see a need to protect the sliders that are protecting my jeeps body but that is just me I guess. And I believe write library is write ups not discussions I think this would fit it tech or chit chat (but I could be wrong about that just trying to help).

Sent by signal flare

post #6 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
I see what your saying, I personally don't see a need to protect the sliders that are protecting my jeeps body but that is just me I guess. And I believe write library is write ups not discussions I think this would fit it tech or chit chat (but I could be wrong about that just trying to help).

Sent by signal flare
Thx...

I can see from your signature that you get into some serious off road. While me… I have been around only for the family outback Jeep outings… FabFours and my little Hesco Supercharger are about as built as I will most likely get. This idea would definitely be for a different category of off roading vehicle.

I can see what you mean by misplaced thread ... my bad ... I suppose this would be where I would place photos of my installing the guard rather than discussion of the idea... oops! Sry…

Forrest Grumpy
post #7 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Tough Stuff

I guess I'm looking at this from the point that if it works it would cost $179 for enough guard to do both sides so if you really do some krawling you would simply replace an $80 piece of guard and keep you rails looking good.

Keel guard is some extremely tough stuff.

I'm going to give it a try and post some photos later...

Forrest Grumpy
post #8 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Rock God

How slick is this stuff, I know a while back all the cool kids where putting heavy duty plastic on there skids and rock sliders to aid in sliding over rocks. Cant remember the name of the plastic, it was some heavy duty commercial kitchen type plastic, HMVW or something.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
How slick is this stuff,
Website says it won't slow your board down when it rubs stuff. It doesn't make it clear if it is always slick, or when. Wet.

It if is always slick and not too soft, then I say go for it. If you use something soft, it will hang you up on rocks.

Great thing about hard metal rockers, they protect, and help slide you along.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

New Jersey Jeep Association

No life? No problem, just buy a jeep.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
How slick is this stuff, I know a while back all the cool kids where putting heavy duty plastic on there skids and rock sliders to aid in sliding over rocks. Cant remember the name of the plastic, it was some heavy duty commercial kitchen type plastic, HMVW or something.
VERY SLICK! It has to be so it doesn't cause drag and reduce the boats top end. I'm running a 502 MAG Volvo Penta in my boat and it slides through the water like butter. Run our hand on it with the boat on the trailer and it's as smooth as a babies butt. The fact that I think it will slide well is why I think it will work well to begin with.

It isn't kitchen plastic like high density Teflon. I'm pretty sure 3M is the only manufacturer and it is flexible to contour to the shape of boat hulls. The stuff is amazingly indestructible which is why it’s $180 for a 10ft piece only 5 or 6 inches wide. It has come down in price from the $350 I paid in 2002 for the one I put on my boat myself. That was $350 just for the guard ... not installed. Now you can get it for $199. The adhesive is a pretty impressive marine adhesive as well. I live on the water and my boat spends alot of time in the water as well as on land. I have had the boat in New Mexico in the extremely hot sun for years and frequently boated at Elephant Butte lake in South New Mexico, which is a very rocky lake… I left a few boat carvings on those rocks the years I was there.

Forrest Grumpy

Last edited by ezfriday; 09-25-2011 at 01:46 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Rock God

I like the idea of it. River Raider is giving the option of putting the UHMW on there skid system. Which is kinda the same concept except the plastic is much thicker then the keel skins.
Just doing a quick Google search for the UHMW, looks like you can get a 4'x8'x.125" for $175 or .25" for 230, but this would be a little harder to mount.

Last edited by HOT_DAMN; 09-25-2011 at 02:52 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Granite Guru

I believe when it is sandwiched between the jeep and the rock it will give enough to catch vs. sliding. That is part of reason it is used on boats....to protect the hual, and it would give instead of the hull.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Savvy off road has a similar set up on their aluminum sliders for TJ. They have a steel runner on the aluminum sliders.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #14 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Keel Shield and Fab Fours Rock Sliders coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfriday View Post
I guess I'm looking at this from the point that if it works it would cost $179 for enough guard to do both sides so if you really do some krawling you would simply replace an $80 piece of guard and keep you rails looking good.

Keel guard is some extremely tough stuff.

I'm going to give it a try and post some photos later...
After further web surfing I have found a new product (very similar to Keel Guard ... different plastic composition ... still the same use for boats). Cost is $230 rather than the $179 ( need 11' instead of 10')

I've ordered my new Fab Fours Rock Sliders and an 11' piece of Keel Shield and will video the install ... run some rocks ... and see how it does ... If I get stuck on the rocks and it don't slide fr' sht ... I still post the video for your amusement! But don't get your hopes up...

Thx for your replies to this thread... see you back on this topic in a couple weeks...

Forrest Grumpy
post #15 of 17 Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Granite Guru

I have the keel guard on my boat. I'm not sure it would work well for sliders. I often drag my sliders across rocks and use them as pivot points. I think that the keel guard will not slide as well as metal and would prevent the sliding motion, therefore causing you to get hung up. Just my thought. Good luck and let us know how it works.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Interesting idea. I can remember a company making removable/replaceable teflon-like 'sliders' for their skid plates. Don't recall the company's name, though.

Keep us updated on how your idea holds up to rocks.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #17 of 17 Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfriday View Post
The "Write Up Forum" is intended as a place for "How to's" so I think this would be the right place to post for a how to improve the protection of your rock sliders...
You are correct, it is a place to add write-ups. When you get it done I'll be happy to add it to the index. I've gotten a little behind, but I'll eventually get it caught up this weekend.

Quote:
UHMW-PE lol

usmcdoc14 made some boatside sliders skinned in it a while back.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21830

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 09-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode