Stock steel stubby + hidden winch + fogs + stinger + swaybar disconnect - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Post Stock steel stubby + hidden winch + fogs + stinger + swaybar disconnect

Inspired by a couple guys (specifically MilitaryMan), I wanted to share my not-so-stock stock winch, stinger & fog stubby.

More pics of stinger to come soon..
Winch installed, prior to stinger:

Prior to winch, aluminum plate to cover the void and swaybar disconnect.
Note the aluminum plates to hold the stock fogs and fill the wide gap:

A few quick details on stinger
I bought some 1 3/4" .120DOM (standard roll-bar tubing) from an industrial metal supplier (about $65 for two 6' lengths) and had a custom bike shop bend it to my specs ($100 for both bends and angled cuts). The center of the two tow hooks is somewhere around 30 1/2" apart. Do your own measuring before you take my word for it, cause I don't really remember.

Then I had another local metal supplier/fabricator produce 3/16" steel plates to fit behind the stock tow hooks and punch the holes for the tow hooks to fit. Cost was approximately $35 for 4 plates. If you do this make sure you measure carefully! The top two holes are about 1/8" further apart than the lower two holes (hard to see with the naked eye). Why, Chrysler?? I think the measurements were something like 5 5/16" apart for the upper holes and 5 3/16" for the lower (both measurements are center to center). Double check before you take my word for it!
*Side note: I was thinking about having some more of these plates made up and making shackles for D-rings, but not sure how many guys would want them.

I bolted the plates behind the tow hooks and had a friend from this forum (Moose4x4) assist me while I began the tack welds. We also used zip ties to help balance the bottom so it was level as I began. Brian (moose) will be the proud owner of the second stinger come end of the week.

So, two custom stingers cost about $200 (not factoring gas and time). I'm pleased with the outcome, and plan to add a small loop inside the top hoop for the winch to clip on. Quite reasonable, if you ask me, and as a beginning/garage fabricator, I'm pleased with the outcome.
For the record I did take some welding/automotive classes a few years back when I bought my Miller MIG, and was careful in layering my welds and ensuring penetration.

Winch
The winch is a Harbor Freight Badlands winch, 12,000lb I bought new for $300.
The winch plate is a heavy steel L-shaped plate I picked up for under $10 at a local scrap yard. I just measured cut to my specs as I marched along, and then mounted to the chassis with a few stainless steel grade-8 bolts.

It's not complete yet; I plan to 'beef it up' with additional supports and a proper steel plate to support the fairlead.. then I want to fab a clean overlay to get the stock fogs flush again. Heck, I may build a whole new [heavier] front bumper if I find the right steel at the scrap yard. I have a couple ideas in mind.

One of the the toughest parts was getting the stock fogs to fit properly as they're fairly deep and just barely touch the winch. I don't like the way they stick out, but I'll live with it for now.

What do y'all think?

2007 Rubicon 2dr, 6spd dubbed 'Longhorn Edition'
3.25" Rough Country suspension lift
315/70/17 Kumho RV MT's on AR Fuel 8's
Modified Gobi roof rack (4 Hella's front, 2 rear)
OR FAB swing-out tire carrier (with dual Jerry cans)
ORO rear license plate light & relocation bracket
Homemade steel stubby front bumper, stinger, 12k winchplate
Homemade rock rails, 'psuedo exocage' (tree sliders)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

Nice work! I LIKE IT!
post #3 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Wheeler

Can't wait to get my stinnger done jipple! Just remember to pick it up from Scotty today.

09 X, 3.25" Rough Country Lift, NO SWAYBARS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 34 Swamper's, KC 130w Daylighter, Smittybilt SRC Rock Rails, AEV Snorel, HF Badlands 12000lb, Ace Tube Fenders, River Raider extended breathers, Poison Spyder Hood Louvers
Current projects: off road trailer.
Future upgrades: lockers, long arms, Drive shafts, Humvee 37's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice man, I like that a lot. Do you have a write up on it and/or a list of what materials you used? That is very inspiring and I would like to do something like this to my bumper, probably minus the comp stinger. Awesome job.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good, you might want to think about adding some triangulation from the stinger back to the bumper incase you ever have to rely on it.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Wheeler

Grade 8 stainless? I've never heard of that. Where did you find these?

From what I know stainless is roughly equivalent to grade 2, I'd be ecstatic to learn I'm wrong though!
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Cool man! Looks good. I was wondering when you were going to get around to this.

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question

Quick question; I searched the forum but didn't see anything in regards to this.. if I missed it because I searched the wrong criteria, I apologize now.

I'm looking to either flip my factory recovery hooks upside-down or remove them entirely.. I know the bolts are not squared, as I mentioned in my post above the top two and the bottom two have a different measurement between them.. I made a mistake when welded my stinger on the brackets/plates I designed for the bumper so I could still remove everything.

Try to follow me here; I put the stinger mounting bracket on the bumper, then the tow hooks, then welded the stinger on. The recovery hooks are not welded to the stinger/mounting plates, but because the bolts are as long as they are I cannot separate the recovery hooks from the stinger assembly. Does this make sense?

Here's my question: Can I either hammer out the existing upper bolts off the recovery hooks, OR (last resort) do I need to chop them off with an angle grinder and drill the studs out (and then replace them with new bolts)?

Thanks guys! -JPL

post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipple28 View Post
Quick question; I searched the forum but didn't see anything in regards to this.. if I missed it because I searched the wrong criteria, I apologize now.

I'm looking to either flip my factory recovery hooks upside-down or remove them entirely.. I know the bolts are not squared, as I mentioned in my post above the top two and the bottom two have a different measurement between them.. I made a mistake when welded my stinger on the brackets/plates I designed for the bumper so I could still remove everything.

Try to follow me here; I put the stinger mounting bracket on the bumper, then the tow hooks, then welded the stinger on. The recovery hooks are not welded to the stinger/mounting plates, but because the bolts are as long as they are I cannot separate the recovery hooks from the stinger assembly. Does this make sense?

Here's my question: Can I either hammer out the existing upper bolts off the recovery hooks, OR (last resort) do I need to chop them off with an angle grinder and drill the studs out (and then replace them with new bolts)?

Thanks guys! -JPL
Chop them off. Cut off your stinger, rework your recovery points, reweld stinger back on. Let me show you my solution when I decided to get rid of the stock metal garbage after bending it up over and over.

I re-worked the original idea with a better solution. Still cheap, still simple. Maybe I can influence you again

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182585

Quote:
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman4455 View Post
Chop them off. Cut off your stinger, rework your recovery points, reweld stinger back on. Let me show you my solution when I decided to get rid of the stock metal garbage after bending it up over and over.

I re-worked the original idea with a better solution. Still cheap, still simple. Maybe I can influence you again
I like this very much! Thank you! I will have to find some steel and do this soon. Much cleaner; I will need to drill holes in some manner to fit my factory fogs, however. Come to think of it, a friend has a plasma cutter- he's pretty had lots of practice, maybe he can help me with that.

Terrific write-up, BTW!

post #11 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipple28 View Post
I like this very much! Thank you! I will have to find some steel and do this soon. Much cleaner; I will need to drill holes in some manner to fit my factory fogs, however. Come to think of it, a friend has a plasma cutter- he's pretty had lots of practice, maybe he can help me with that.

Terrific write-up, BTW!
Thanks man! You gotten to this yet? I haven't been on in a while.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode