550 Para Cord Door Wraps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

550 Para Cord Door Wraps

This is my first "how to" and not sure how to put the text and pics together so if this looks screwed up sorry. I was looking around the forums and found this write up and thought I would add a little to it. I cant rem the name of who first did this; I only want to add to their idea and not steal it.

Anyone that goes camping knows that para cord has many uses and can be a lifesaver. While you could just throw a roll into the Jeep and be done with it, I am just adding this to bring a personal touch into storing the cord.

With all the different colors that anyone can get in para cord now days, this can be personalized to the extent of matching the interior and exterior color with the cord, favorite football colors, anything you can think of. In this project I used black as the base wrap and olive drab as the top wrap.

The measurements for the front door handles are: base wrap approx 23 feet, and the top wrap approx 10 feet. These lengths can be different depending on how tight or loose you wrap the cord and the pattern you chose to wrap the handles. I wrapped mine very tight.

With the base wrap, I started on the left side of the handle (starting on the left was easier for me being right handed; you can start on either side). I made a clean cut on the cord and burnt the end then tied a knot. I forgot to get pics of wrapping the base but they both start and end the same.

I started the wrap with the knot sitting on top of the handle and wrapping around to capture the knot. After catching the knot with one turn (or wrap), I just rotated the cord so the knot was on the back side and out of sight.

Write up and pics cont in next post
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

550 Para Cord Door Wraps

This is first loop of the top wrap. Take the cord and run the end around the handle and bring the end up and through the loop. Hopefully the pics are easier to understand than my directions.
Attached Images

post #3 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

550 Para Cord Door Wrap

This is the finished product. In the pics you will see that I went wide with the top wrap. You can wrap the top anyway you want to. After looking at the pics I may rewrap the top so that they are all close. I cant rem the name but you can wrap knife handles this way and have a really nice grip.

I have wrapped the grab handle and plan to do the rear door handles also. Having the two layers of wrap really helped the feel of the door handle, real beefy.

I hope someone finds this helpful and would love to see any different variations that someone may have. Post pics of what you make or have already.

That is my helper and Jeep buddy at the end.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

Awesome! Now do the grab handle on the dash, that be be a ton of cord!

2016 JK Rubicon (2 door)

-Semper Fi-
post #5 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

Never mind just read that u already did it haha

2016 JK Rubicon (2 door)

-Semper Fi-
post #6 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks. Here is a pic of the front grab handle. Has anyone made the rollbar handles with paracord braid? I thought I saw it here once.
Attached Images

post #7 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Can you do other knots too? Like how those bracket are made and stuff? Or like a cool weave pattern you could use as a keychain or something? Just trying to think of ways to have it attached to other stuff as well, like bug out bags etc..

2016 JK Rubicon (2 door)

-Semper Fi-
post #8 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work JQ!

I picked up some paracord for my dash grab handle last weekend and it looks like I will need some more to do the doors as well. I like the idea of using another color with the weave as well.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Mr Gilbert. Glad to help.

@ mud, it would be cool to braid the handles, just not sure how to do it. Someone that knows how to do the braid could add a keychain braid to the door window zippers too. Just an idea.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Paracord update

This is just an update on the the rollbar grabs and seat grabs that I just finished. The first pic shows the finished project for the passengers side. This is just a cobra wrap bracelet(you can find different wraps on youtube) about 12 and 3/4 inches long with olive drab cord. I didnt measure the lengths when I made them so good luck with making your own.

I removed the bolt on the left side of the visor and placed the bolt through the end of the braclet that had the knot (just to hide the knot).
Attached Images

post #11 of 18 Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Keep in mind that I am writing about finishing the drivers side. In the above post the bolt on the left side is for the drivers side. The bolt needed for the passenger side will be the right bolt.

Just put the bolt back in, then take a length of cord to tie the other end to the roll bar. I wrapped the roll bar twice before tying it off with a simple overhand, a knot so the cord won't work out of the knot and burnt the ends.

I worked the end back behind the plastic piece to hide the end of the bracelet.

I like the way the grab is somewhat out of the way.
Attached Images

post #12 of 18 Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This is the view of the passengers side. I made the same bracelet for the front seats and just slid the headrest into the ends.
Sound bar grabs coming soon!
Attached Images

post #13 of 18 Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good man! How did you knot the cord for the handles? That's what I meant by braiding it, something like you did there.

Only thing I know how to do is a bunch of half hitches, but that gets wavy.

2016 JK Rubicon (2 door)

-Semper Fi-
post #14 of 18 Old 09-21-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Mud. I hope this helps, I found a link to a video on how to tie the bracelets. This is what I used to learn with. It took a few times to get it right for me. The first one I made was really tight and stiff. I got to where I would just pull the turns of the cord snug and not tight, this made for a soft feel to the grab handle.

How To Make A Paracord Bracelet or Lanyard - YouTube
post #15 of 18 Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQJK View Post
Thanks. Here is a pic of the front grab handle. Has anyone made the rollbar handles with paracord braid? I thought I saw it here once.
Looks great. I thought about doing some paracord grab handles on the rollbars buy haven't gotten around to it. It'll be a good project to help time go by in Afghanistan though.

Ron
post #16 of 18 Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Heavy D, and thank you for your service to our country. A co-worker of mine hooked me up with a spool of the 550 cord for the project, he is with the 278th armored div. He did two tours and the last one he did with his son. they are both back. Stay safe over there.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Wheeler

I've done the same thing. Here is a pic of my front drivers side. Except, I secured mine down with industrial velcro.

post #18 of 18 Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode