Sub Install JK 2011 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sub Install JK 2011

Ok, first things first. Get out your Sunday Koozie even though it's Monday.

The victim. 8 inch Bazooka tube Model # BTA850FH

Get out the tools required for the task at hand. Drill, 7mm Socket, T Wrench Thing., Couple of Self Taping screws for the ground wire, Sand Paper or Block, Philips Head Bit for the Screws, Pliers because I can't find the right size socket to take the battery terminals off. and I think that's it.

First. Remove the battery cables. Neg first, then positive. I guess you don't have to take the positive off, but me and electricity do not get along very well, so I just kill it.

Next, get ready to take the dash off. There are 6, 7mm screws that need to be removed. Take the section below the steering wheel off, slight tug is all you need. There are 4, 7mm screws there. Take them off.

Now, remove little cubby thing on top of the dash. There is a 7mm screw there.

Then remove the little cubby thing where the power windows would be if you had them. If you are reading thins and have them, good luck with that. I don't so it is a lot easier for me, I am sure.

Now get ready to pull the radio out. 4, 7mm screws and a good solid tug and that bitch comes right out. Disconnect the factory harness, sat radio antenna, and regular antenna. Put the radio some place you will not lose it. It's a pretty important piece of the puzzle.

Now this Bazooka tube came with a real cool harness. It's like little screw things. Really simple to install. It goes right into the factory wiring using the front left and right speakers, fused power source, and I used the cig lighter for the switch power source. But first, the wiring needs for a 2011 JK.

Yellow with red stripe = Power (BTW, WTF happened to just plain old red. Why does everything have to be pastel gay colors.
Left Front = Pos- Grey with Violet Stripe, Neg- Grey with Yellow Stripe. Violet???? Really? Positively Gay would have been a better color
Right Front = Pos- Green and Violet Stripe, Neg- Green with Yellow Stripe. The right side is gay too.
Now wait for this one! Cig lighter is Purple with a Pink Stripe. No Comment!

Ok, so find you wires and hook up the harness supplied by bazooka. I have a hard time explaining how this thing hooks up. It is like little screw connectors. It is so simple, you could have like 4 or 5 beers and have no problem with it. Ask me how I know?

Last edited by jkristie44; 09-05-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Put you radio back in, tidy up the wiring and re plug in all the stuff you took off. Well, once you can find the radio. How do you lose the radio. It's like the size of a shoe box. I managed to do that! Just an FYI, remember where you put the radio! It will save you alot of time and headache.

Now this kit comes with all the wiring needed to complete the sub. I forgot to take a picture but you need to figure out where you want to run it. I decided to run it down the passenger side. I fed it through where the door strap is, by the glove box, and right under the air ducts in the center of the dash.

OK, now out of nowhere, it starts to pour. Well not out of nowhere. There is a silly tropical storm that had been dropping like 20 inches of rain on us. Today was a good day though. Only a couple of real bad squalls. It was really humid, and without being able to put the windows down due to rain, I decided to take a break, drink beer, and accept bets on when this lone pine tree would fall down. Oh, I am like the only retard on the street without a garage.

Plug it in and Wrap Yo Shit! Don't want the Jeep getting electro AIDS! With all that fruity colored wiring, I bet Jeeps are a magnet for STD's.

Ok, now that you wrapped yo shit, fed it under the plastic by the door, and under the carpet along the window to the trunk. No pics of this because it is easy, and if you don't know how to do it, you might want to not do this to your jeep.

Take the screws out of the plastic molding stuff that the fancy 2011 comes with. Using you beer muscles, remove said fancy plastic 2011 molding piece with a swift tug and find a place for your ground wire to go.

Found it, sanded it, and fed the wires through the fancy molding. Attach ground with your self tapping screws that DID NOT come with the kit. I attached the ground on the side of the Jeeps storage thing in the back. I prefer to call it the Jeeps Vagina, but this is my wife's Jeep, and she says it's a boy. I say it's a fairy boy with gay wiring colors. So I guess we will call it the Homo Hole.

Put the cover back on the homo hole and attach the straps and bracket things with 4 screws. I plan on coming up with a better solution for the tie down of this thing, but that will have to be another day. It secures just fine and won't go anywhere, I just want something better.

Put the sub in, strap it down, plug it in, reconnect your battery, and test him out!

It works great. Sounds just as good as my infinity system in my Jeep. Oh, FYI, I replace the stock speaker with some alpine stuff last week. You can check that out here: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58538

Last edited by jkristie44; 09-05-2011 at 05:26 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

At this point, I was out of beer. Wife and I decided to take a trip to Walmart and let her shop while I got beer. Swung by the beach to check out what the waves looked like and check out the damage. Wave definitely crested the dunes and breached the road in a few spots, but all in all, outside of a few tornado's that fucked some peoples shit up, not too much damage.

So to close this write up out, this thing was perfect. 125 bucks at Pep Boys. Little 8 inch (Model # BTA850FH), 50 watt Bazooka that can easily be removed when we need more room. Best part is, a case of beer (cans) fits perfectly behind it with no issues closing the gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Meaty McMeatster, how does that thing fit behind the rear seat? I've been kicking a Bazooka around for a bit, does it leave a lot of room?

Edit: Like always, pulled the trigger too soon. Second half of your post answers my question. I was thinking about a 6 inch tube with dual voice coils and a 2 ohm stable monoblock instead. But the 8 isn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 09-05-2011 at 05:05 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

There is room with the 8. I would say a good 6 inches. I put a case of beer right behind it, closed fine with a little room to spare. And it only takes up maybe 1/2 of the length of the trunk.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 05:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work James....
post #7 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

There goes another 130 dollars! Just pulled the trigger on the 6 inch amplified version with the 100watt amp. Will be here Thursday! I just want some kick in my rock and metal. I'm not trying to win bass competitions anymore. I have a GM-D8500 and a Infinity Reference Series DVC 12 sitting in storage if I change my mind about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Nice work James....
Thanks man! You getting any sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
There goes another 130 dollars! Just pulled the trigger on the 6 inch amplified version with the 100watt amp. Will be here Thursday! I just want some kick in my rock and metal. I'm not trying to win bass competitions anymore. I have a GM-D8500 and a Infinity Reference Series DVC 12 sitting in storage if I change my mind about that.

Yep! That's exactly why I got this. No need for crazy bass, just enough to level everything out and thing little guy performs better than I could have ever thought. I had to actually turn the bass down becuase it was a little too much. At least the wife can jam out to her black eye peas or whatever and be happy.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Rock God

This was by far the most entertaining set of write ups I've read in a while. mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #10 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Granite Guru

Very informative and the most entertaining write up I have ever read!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Rock God

that what a great write up ...enjoyed reading it .. very well done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode