How do I touch-up paint? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-28-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How do I touch-up paint?

I have several small paint chips that I would like to touch up properly before they rust (or rust worse than they already have). They are all smaller than a pencil eraser, and all on the hood, grill, and windshiled frame. I was going to order the Mopar touch up paint but I don't know how to prep and more importantly get rid of small amounts of surface rust. Who knows how to do this the right way?

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

For the spots without rust, use a wax remover and then touch up.

For the spots with rust, find a high speed buffer and some rubbing compound. Go over the spots and the rust will be quickly removed, then touch up. Do not hold the buffer on the spot too long as you are actually taking off thin layers of clearcoat and can burn through the clearcoat (stay away from edges and corners as you can burn through in seconds). Buffing is a learned technique, so you may want to hire someone or find a buddy.

After you touch up, you will have uneven paint between the original paint and touch up spot. Try and fill the hole with several coats of touch up (be patient), let it dry a few days, and the go over the spot with a buffer and compound. This will wear down the high spots in the touch up and smooth things out.

You can never make a touch up spot disappear (unless you repaint), but the above techinques work best. Don't forget to wax a few days afterwards.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
I have several small paint chips that I would like to touch up properly before they rust (or rust worse than they already have). They are all smaller than a pencil eraser, and all on the hood, grill, and windshiled frame. I was going to order the Mopar touch up paint but I don't know how to prep and more importantly get rid of small amounts of surface rust. Who knows how to do this the right way?
Check this page, you might see if they have a video on how to remove rust http://automotivetouchup.com/how-to-videos.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I've heard it's easy to screw things up with a buffer, which is one of my concerns. Based on the size of the rust spot I'm not sure a buffer will even get into the spot, it's smaller than a pencil eraser.
Anyone else have any tips?

post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

Gotta get the rust off first, but once that part is done and you can see metal if you're careful you can blend the paint really well.

You need to remove all of the wax in the area first, and clay bar the area all around where you're touching up. The last thing you want is a little piece of dirt making scratches everywhere when you hit it with the high speed buffer, it will end up looking worse than when you started so make sure its clean. Touch up the areas with paint, try to make it lower than the factory paint level. Let it dry, then cover it again with touch up clear coat - at this point you want the clear to be about level with the rest of your paint, a little higher is OK. Lower is not. Let it dry like this for a full day, in the sun if you can.

Next day, take 1,500 grit sand paper, wet the paper and the area, and sand VERY lightly over the area you touched up. What you want to do is taper/feather it out, so your touched up area is exactly the same height as the paint around it. Repeat with 2,000 grit, then if you really want do it again with 3,000 (will have to buy it from an autobody supply shop, the regular parts stores dont have over 2k - if you know a local body shop they'll probably let you have a sheet). Once everything is smooth, its time to bring back the shine. I use Menzerna Final Polish II - this isn't a compound or wax, it actually polishes the paint and brings a shine to the clear coat which is now dull from sanding. You will need a high speed buffer for this. Once done, it should look pretty close to factory - if you can still see any marks, use a rubbing compound on top of it but at this point you should be able to follow up with a wax & buff and be done.

You may still see it upon careful inspection, but it should be just about invisible. But by doing the clear on top you'll get the closest match to the paint that was already there and wet sanding the touched-up spot and a feathering around it evens it out.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So here are the spots I had.

I was told to use a product called Ospho that converts the iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate. Basically, it turns the ugly rust to black smooth metal. I couldn't find Ospho in small quantities so I picked up a can of this
I sprayed it into a small container and used a Q-tip to apply it to, and scrub, the spots. I used a paper towel to catch any that ran out of the intended area.
After doing this 3 times I let it air dry about 2 hours in the sun.
Then applied 2 coats of the mopar touch up paint.

Now I realize that I probably hurried the process and should have let things set longer, and the touch up job will not win any show n shine contests. However, the rust is gone and the bare metal is covered, so I'm happy.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Granite Guru

I like your grill inserts. Can you please tell me where you bought them? I have seen some but not quite like those as far as I can tell? Nice touch up also. It is always a tough decision on how to do it right!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch55 View Post
I like your grill inserts. Can you please tell me where you bought them?
Are those not factory? They cover the intake for the HVAC to keep it from sucking large debris.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I like your grill inserts. Can you please tell me where you bought them? I have seen some but not quite like those as far as I can tell? Nice touch up also. It is always a tough decision on how to do it right!
Stock, factory.

-Scott S.-

'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Those are custom made by me, you can have them for $1000!
I'm just kidding, they are the stock inserts between the hood and windshield. That paint chip is on the leading edge of the cowl.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Granite Guru

I see say's the blind man and thanks for the answer.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Wheeler

I appreciate this is an old thread. To the OP's question.

Check out langka.com
Dr Colorchip.com is similar.

I have used langka with success.

Steve
post #13 of 13 Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSteve View Post
I appreciate this is an old thread. To the OP's question.

Check out langka.com
Dr Colorchip.com is similar.

I have used langka with success.

Steve
I'll know for next time, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode