Replacing a failed Parking Brake handle assembly - Manual shift JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Replacing a failed Parking Brake handle assembly - Manual shift JK

I was the victim of the parking brake handle assembling failing on me. Basically I set it and received a loud "bang" and the brake went slack. Pulling the handle had no resistance and did nothing. Kind of a big problem with a manual shift!

Anyway, i ordered the new part ($42 from the local dealer with the local JK discount).

This is what failed

This is what it should look like

Now you need to note this installation tool that comes on the new handle assembly. This will come into play for step #9. DO NOT REMOVE IT UNTIL THE NEW HANDLE IS INSTALLED!

Tools I Used
13mm socket, one wobbly 13mm for one nut
3/8" drive cordless impact, ratchet will do just fine for the slow-pokes
T30 socket
Crescent wrench
4lb hammer
Bungee cord
Short pry bar (screwdriver would probably do)

Estimated time: Took me 15 minutes to swap it out, without reading a how-to, and taking pictures of everything. So whatever that is worth!

Replacement

(1) Anyway, so first off you should probably knock off the shift knobs. I've read about people about putting both feet on the seats and pulling like they hate it to remove it. That's a pretty poor method for doing it, work smarter...not harder folks!

Take a crescent wrench and wrap the flats with something to protect the shifter shaft, rag or something. Put it under the knob and just tight enough that you can move it on the shaft. Now before you do the next part of this step, the shifter knob will go somewhere. Either have someone just rest their hand on it, big towel, something.. Take your trusty hammer, 4pounder makes it easy, and rack the wrench a couple times. The shifter will pop off.

Now wasn't that easier then pulling like hell and popping yourself in the mouth when it lets go?! Thought so.

(2) Remove the manual shifter boot. The clips are toward the rear of the Jeep, see picture. The front just has a hook on it. Do NOT pull up on the front of the shifter boot. Pop the two clips out of the back (I just used my paws and pulled up), and remove the boot so it's out of the way.

Left = Front

(3) Not sure this was necessary, but I popped it out because it was easy enough. The little pocket, or whatever you have down there has two clips at the top you pull straight out towards you. The bottom has tabs that slide into the dash. So pop out the top two clips and remove it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-08-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

(4) Remove the four console bolts. Two per side, two in front, and two in back of the front seats. Use a T30 to remove them. You will not need to remove any more screws from the console!

(5) Move/remove/whatever you want with the console. I chose to bungee my console up to the cage. There is no need to remove it, if you feel like you need more room you can. I feel it's just taking more time to remove it than it does to work with it there.

(6) Meow, you need to remove the one wire from the parking brake switch (that triggers your dash light). There is a little tab that needs to be depressed, see picture.

(7) Remove the christmas tree from the parking brake mount.

(8) Next, remove the four 13mm nuts from the floor. Note that the larger washers are in front, smaller in the rear.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #3 of 40 Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

(9) Now, your attention should be here. If you just pull the handle assembly off the studs you will get this happening.

The reel will retract and wedge the bracket that ties to the rear parking brake cables wedged into the mount. If you did this read down further. If you have not yet, install a pry bar like so to catch the tension of the reel. This will allow you to freely remove the handle assembly from the studs and easily unhook the handle assembly from the rear parking brake cables.

(The face of this bracket as you see it in the picture will face DOWN when you reinstall it.)

If you did this and pulled the handle assembly from the studs without putting the pry bar in. Don't try to fight it, force it, kill it, etc. Pull up the parking brake handle, and push the handle assembly forward and you'll have to kind of hold it. There will be some tension as the cable spools out. You can install the pry bar now.

(10) Remove the old handle assembly, install the new handle, and bolt it down. Push the button on the handle and put it to the floor (as you would normally disengage the parking brake). This will give you the length you need to easily hook up the rear parking brake lines to the bracket. They just slide in the slot and retain.

(11) Pull back up on the parking brake handle, and remove the installation tool that you see on it.

(12) Reinstall everything back in reverse order! You now have a parking brake again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Good write up, Hope I never need it!
post #5 of 40 Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks, hopefully someone finds it useful

post #6 of 40 Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Rock God

Nice write-up. Thanks for taking the time.
post #7 of 40 Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Thanks for this great write-up! Just had to use it and you left nothing out. Only took me a few minutes to do!
post #8 of 40 Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taank13 View Post
Thanks for this great write-up! Just had to use it and you left nothing out. Only took me a few minutes to do!
Nice!

post #9 of 40 Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Thumbs up perfect!

thank you so much for the write up it was flawless i would've done a lot more work had i not seen this thread!
post #10 of 40 Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Wheeler

thanks, now i know what's up with mine and what to do.
post #11 of 40 Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Glad it's worked out for some

post #12 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Granite Guru

ugh my p brake just did this the other day!! GREAT WRITE UP BRO!! I'll definitely be using this!

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #13 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

One more victim to the broken parking brake...

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.
post #14 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman4455 View Post
It's super inconvenient with a stick!

post #15 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yeah no shit! I have to put my Jeep in 4lo and in gear everytime I park just to make sure it doesnt roll away and I wouldnt ever trust it on an incline.

Quote:
post #16 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did it this morning lol

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #17 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yeah no shit! I have to put my Jeep in 4lo and in gear everytime I park just to make sure it doesnt roll away and I wouldnt ever trust it on an incline.
Sorry, but I'll have to laugh if you break your transfer case bushing while your e-brake is broken

post #18 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Sorry, but I'll have to laugh if you break your transfer case bushing while your e-brake is broken
Honestly, I would laugh at that. Then pull out the wheel chocks.

Atleast I have 3 spare bushings in the Jeep. Dont have any spare e brake assemblies

Quote:
post #19 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Atleast I have 3 spare bushings in the Jeep. Dont have any spare e brake assemblies
I "fixed" my t-case shifter two years ago, I've yet to have any trouble with it.

post #20 of 40 Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I "fixed" my t-case shifter two years ago, I've yet to have any trouble with it.
How did you "fix" it? Mine has never broken.

Quote:
post #21 of 40 Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Just finished mine

Perfect write-up ... I feel like I almost owe you $300 .... almost

Thanks .. now I can try and pass inspection again.
post #22 of 40 Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Good deal! I accept donations of any value

post #23 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Me too, sort of. My spring wasn't broken, but the "clutch" feature of the spring only grabbed one time out of 10 or 20.
Sometimes it was solid at 3 clicks, sometimes nada. Degreasing made no difference. Surfaces appear glazed. Dealer appears not worth asking.
So, for 41 bucks I got a rev. AD assembly online and swapped it out.
I would have been happier if the old one was visibly busted, but safe is downright handy.

Quote:
Some days, it changed my parking habits.
Quote:
Good deal! I accept donations of any value
Edit: removed crude comedy that does not belong in tech. Don't want to detract from an awesome writeup by Goody.
But seriously, thanks for a good write-up. I've written a lot of work instructions, and it's nice to have access to good ones.
You rock, dude!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 01-09-2013 at 12:24 PM.
post #24 of 40 Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Granite Guru

Excellent write up! I just used it and it worked beautifully. Thank you
post #25 of 40 Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

no problemo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode