Sub relocation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Sub relocation

Had a few inquiries about this so....

Basically.....to increase cargo space, I decided to ditch the plastic sub box. I also wanted to keep the stock sub, since most 10" sub upgrades all had large magnets and a deeper profile (preventing a flush mount when the lid was closed). I also have a 10" Kicker sub in a JL box that is hooked up when I'm not on the trail......so I switch between the two.

Somebody could absolutely modify and improve what I did, by adding some Dynomat, a better sub (that still fits), and a better box. The box that I used is actually a table. Its a piece of 1/2" panel that's cut to 10" x 16" square....with an approx 7" hole cut dead center for the speaker. Also drilled 6 small holes around the speaker hole.....to bolt everything together.

Only other steps are to lengthen the wire, hide it under the carpet, and cut the hole in the stock POS plastic trunk-lid.

Dirt hasn't been too much of an issue.....or moisture, but I am sure that water damage could be more likely with it relocated like this.
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good Subbie!

Does it rattle the lid? Or does the little retainer hold it tight enough?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Looks good Subbie!

Does it rattle the lid? Or does the little retainer hold it tight enough?
Zero rattles. Bad thing is that that cargo hold attracts a ton of debris, so you have to kind of keep it clean in there. I also used rubber feet along the bottoms of the 2x4's to insulate it from the tub. I also used pipe insulation between the tub and box/table. It's perfect....doesn't move at all with the lid closed. Snug.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Thats hardcore!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Thats hardcore!

Yea....I know. Just throwing it out there for others to consider if they wanna free up that space and retain an 8" sub.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You should put the hardcore stock enclosure up for sale....

PM Karn, I think he was looking to buy one.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post

Yea....I know. Just throwing it out there for others to consider if they wanna free up that space and retain an 8" sub.
It's a good idea, just keep the standing water out of that sucker. If I didn't use that cubby I'd certainly consider it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Very sweet Stu, gonna use an amp to drive that baby?

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm considering moving mine under the driver's seat. My rear passengers always complain about too much bass, then when they ride up front they say it sounds great. I had a Nissan Armada that had the sub under the drivers seat and it sounded good no matter your seat position.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #10 of 10 Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
I'm considering moving mine under the driver's seat. My rear passengers always complain about too much bass, then when they ride up front they say it sounds great. I had a Nissan Armada that had the sub under the drivers seat and it sounded good no matter your seat position.
I don't have the stock sub but do plan on glassing in a sub (8 or 10") under the front seats. It's on the short list of stuff to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode