Selectable Battery/Accessory Power Source - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Selectable Battery/Accessory Power Source

On my 2008 JK, there are two power outlets on the bottom of the center stack.
The left outlet is #1, fuse #M6, wired to Accessory power.
The outlet on the right is #3, fuse #M36, always powered.
I noticed in the TIPM fuse box, there is a fuse #M7, for outlet #2, selectively powered by the battery and accessory circuits.
I also noticed my JK does not have outlet #2, but the 20 amp fuse is in place, in the 2 position socket.
Here is a picture of Fuse M7's location, and a close-up of where to position the fuse for accessory power and battery power.

The center pin socket for M7 goes to pin #12 in the TIPM connector C6, shown in the next picture.

The dealer didn't have a wire with the proper terminal to fit in TIPM wire harness connector C6, so I went to a junk yard, found a late model Jeep, (might have been a Patriot), and pulled a 12 AWG wire, with the correct terminal end. For the 20 amp fuse, I wouldn't use a wire smaller than 16 AWG, to be on the safe side.
Here is a picture of the terminal end. It has to be exactly like this, or it won't work.

Once I got the wire home, it was a matter of about 20 minutes to install it in location #12 of TIPM connector C6 wire harness.
The first thing I did was disconnect the battery negative terminal.

If you want a built in selectable battery/accessory power source, protected by a 20 amp fuse, consider taking advantage of the unused M7 fuse in your TIPM. Don't do this if you are not comfortable raising the TIPM, and unplugging the connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Granite Guru

Nice job. I've used up a few unused spaces in my TIPM as well. Just have to be careful because some are TIPM inputs/outputs and not just true power distro pins(as you know I am sure, but as a warning to others).

I forget the connector part that is. You can order it from a lot of the electronics supply houses, it's common in a lot of vehicles/connectors. It's nice to pick it from a junk yard like you did and get the pig tail though if you don't have the proper crimp tool.

Another cool option I just came across last week is this Bussman panel:

http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...0RELAY%20RTMR/

You can order that block, the pins and the relays from there. I have stumbled across NUMEROUS forums with people selling these pre-wired for $100 or more if you want to go that route, but for $25 plus some terminals and some wires.... seems like a GREAT option to me for aux power to stay out of the TIPM and have a clean install. I've got one sitting on my desk, hope to find the time to wire up my aux lights to it soon.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
Nice job. I've used up a few unused spaces in my TIPM as well.
Which ones did you use, and how did you connect to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I don't remember off the top of my head. I'm away from it for a week, I'll get some details and pics in a week or so when I get back. I did the same thing you did for the most part, I had a stash of the right terminals and just did a lot of poking around with the multimeter and checking the schematics.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Here are the one's I used. I connected with the same terminals you used.

Going into C5 and C6 (yes there are three wires but only two fuses documented above because I haven't yet used the yellow wire for anything so I left the fuse out)

Pinout:
green wire is going to C-6 Pin 17 and is connected to Fuse M14 (switched ignition)
White wire is going to C-5 Pin 6 and is connected to Fuse M26 (hot all the time)
Yellow wire is going to C-5 Pin 22 and I don't remember which fuse it goes to, easy enough to use a multi meter to figure out. (hot all the time)

My method for finding the ones I used was simple. I started looking at the empty slots in the top and looking at the lid to see what they are used for, most are not something you'd find in a JK. Then I double checked the TIPM schematics to make sure they aren't listed on there either. Then I used a multimeter (TIPM disconnected) to figure out which pins those empty slots correlated with and double checked the schematics again to make sure those pins weren't something important. From there it's just simply connecting the wires and inserting fuses. Mine has been that way for over a year with no problem. I'm going the bussman route now though because I need some relays and it's a simpler setup (but not free like the TIPM).

Last edited by Taxx; 08-16-2011 at 09:26 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
I forget the connector part that is. You can order it from a lot of the electronics supply houses, it's common in a lot of vehicles/connectors. It's nice to pick it from a junk yard like you did and get the pig tail though if you don't have the proper crimp tool.
Would you mind looking up what type of connector these are and where they can be purchased? I have been trying to locate these but have not hand any luck at the dealer or the local salvage yards. The salvage yards don't want to cut into the harness.

I am looked for the terminals used in in pin 17 of C6 in the above picture as well as the larger connectors like pin 14 of C6.

And direction would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode