Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement - it's easier than you think - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement - it's easier than you think

I recently upgraded my Ball Joints and must have been too rough with the wheel speed sensors in the hub on the passengers side. When I started up the Jeep to go for a test drive post install the ESP/BAS & ABS lights came on. I thought they might clear as my steering wheel was dead center and I didn't recall screwing with anything that may set it off. I didn't even remove the sensors when I took the hub assembly off, I just set the whole thing on a bucket.

I used my Superchips programmer to find that I had a bad:

"Right front wheel speed sensor circuit" (DTS-C1015)

Which is part number:
68003281AA

Found'em for under $10 Here ---> http://factorymoparparts.com/68003281aa.html

Ordered two (to keep one as a spare) and they arrived in time to get it done the following weekend.

One quick note - these replacements are LONGER than stock, which is a real good thing since I had planned on adding 5" to them anyway. That was a nice discovery.

To get to the sensor you have to remove the wheel/tire - I set mine under the Jeep and use it to set stuff on.

Next use a 21mm socket to remove the brake assembly bolts

Set the assembly on the tire or a bucket, don't let it hang from the brake line

Now you can easily get to the sensor

Is this going to be a problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

There is nothing holding that sensor in there but an O-ring so don't fret too much. I decided to remove the hub to make sure that nothing falls into where the ring is at. Pretty simple. Just note that it really wasn't necessary to remove the hub, I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to get the sensor out and wanted to move to where I could study it more.

Remove the axle nut

Remove the three 13mm (12pt) all thread bolts so the hub assembly can be removed.

I set it on a bench and used a wood screw so I could get a grip to pull it out.

With that out of the way you can get it all put back together.

Add some E-grease to the sensor and the plug then install the sensor on the hub assembly. There is already some blue locktite on the allen bolt.

The plug end of the sensor wire is located behind the shock tower. I rerouted mine so I could zip tie it to the brake line. When I installed my 4.5 lift I pulled the sensor plug/wire out of it's mount to get some more length and routed it with the brake line which was just enough. The added length of the replacement wire makes it even better.

I took a minute to reset the DTS codes and make sure that the Jeep was happy at this point.... If a problem is found you won't have to take all that shit back off to get to it to investigate.

Life is good at this point!!

I also rerouted the wire out from inside the knuckle... just to make things easier to get to. If you don't put it back in the stock tabs make sure it is secured or it will get chewed up.

post #3 of 68 Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Routed to the brake line - you can move the rubber boots back and fourth so you can position them where you want them, I used the rubber thingies to pad turns and to attach the zip ties.

Routing it over the frame just makes it easier to get to next time IMO

Take'er for a test drive and make sure that every thing is good to go

You can run the Jeep with the lights on - I understand that cruise control doesn't work (unconfirmed cause I don't have cruise).

Now I can go get it inspected...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

good write up, I'll just add that you can remove the connector plug from the shock tower to make it easier to plug the unplug the old sensor and plug the new sensor in, it is held to theshock tower by 2 plastic christmas tree push pins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #5 of 68 Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
good write up, I'll just add that you can remove the connector plug from the shock tower to make it easier to plug the unplug the old sensor and plug the new sensor in, it is held to theshock tower by 2 plastic christmas tree push pins.
Good point TK. Mine was already pulled from there so I forgot about that point. I tossed the replacement xmas tree thingies but will snap a pic and post it up.
post #6 of 68 Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is a pic of the christmas tree thingie that holds the plug in place behind the shock tower. Just give it a tug and it will come out. Then push the red cover upwards, away from the plug, to get it undone.

post #7 of 68 Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Rock God

Thanks Ron, good info.
post #8 of 68 Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great write up!! So you are saying it's NOT necessary to remove the hub?

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #9 of 68 Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Great write up!! So you are saying it's NOT necessary to remove the hub?
Thanks.

You are correct, there is no reason to remove the hub.

Especially if the sensor just pulls right out in one piece.

Mine was broken off with the sensor (magnet) stuck in the hole.

I just wasn't sure what it was going to take to get the broken piece out of there. Looking back I could have done the same thing (used a wood screw) while the hub was on the Jeep vs. putting it on a bench.

post #10 of 68 Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Wheeler

Nice write up, i am about to do this on all 4 corners of mine, i get this fault every so often ,it comes on for about 10 seconds and turnes back off, goes days sometimes without coming back on again..
post #11 of 68 Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Rock God

I thought it was that easy.....

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #12 of 68 Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
The plug end of the sensor wire is located behind the shock tower. I rerouted mine so I could zip tie it to the brake line. When I installed my 4.5 lift I pulled the sensor plug/wire out of it's mount to get some more length and routed it with the brake line which was just enough. The added length of the replacement wire makes it even better.

Great write up! I have a question though... Where exactly is the "plug" end of the sensor. I followed the wire up behind the shock tower like you said. Is the best way to reach it from under the Jeep, or does it go upwards towards the engine? How far behind the shock tower is the plug? I can feel where the harness is attached to the frame with the "christmas tree plug" but cant see or feel the plug for the harness. Any more help would be appreciated...
post #13 of 68 Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

The plug end of the harness plugs into the "christmas tree plug". You can not see it from the wheel well. Pull the christmas tree plug off the shock tower to gain enough slack to move the harness so you can see it.
post #14 of 68 Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
The plug end of the harness plugs into the "christmas tree plug". You can not see it from the wheel well. Pull the christmas tree plug off the shock tower to gain enough slack to move the harness so you can see it.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.125646,-79.520922
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 68 Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice write up.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #16 of 68 Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Tagged for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #17 of 68 Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ron, is there any way to tell the left from the right and front from back on that site? I went and it doesn't say anything about which sensor it is. I need the front left, but might just buy extras in case I mess one up later. Plus, the fact that they're longer has be considering swapping them all out now.

Thanks.

Quote:

post #18 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Ron, is there any way to tell the left from the right and front from back on that site? I went and it doesn't say anything about which sensor it is. I need the front left, but might just buy extras in case I mess one up later. Plus, the fact that they're longer has be considering swapping them all out now.

Thanks.

The sensors are the same from right to left, but front and rear are different.

In fact the rear is even easier to switch out than the front (you don't even have to take your tire off). Crawl up under the Jeep and you'll see the sensor. Unplug the sensor then take an 8mm or 9mm (I don't remember which) wrench an unbolt it. The sensor pulls straight out. Put some DE on the new one and slide it back in. Make sure the bolt hole lnes up and replace the bolt and plug it back in. Here is a pic of what the rear sensor looks like. You'll notice no wires. That because it plugs in right at the sensor. The left side of the pic is where is plugs in. The right side goes inside.

That's your part number too. I think it was around $20 at Autozone. Yes, I know I might have a leaking axle seal.

After all that, it didn't fix my problem. It still throws a Left Wheel Sensor code, so I guess I'll be chasing electrical since the next likely culprit is a cut in the wire.

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 01-21-2012 at 04:12 AM.
post #19 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIGAN View Post
The sensors are the same from right to left, but front and rear are different.

In fact the rear is even easier to switch out than the front (you don't even have to take your tire off). Crawl up under the Jeep and you'll see the sensor. Unplug the sensor then take an 8mm or 9mm (I don't remember which) wrench an unbolt it. The sensor pulls straight out. Put some DE on the new one and slide it back in. Make sure the bolt hole lnes up and replace the bolt and plug it back in. Here is a pic of what the rear sensor looks like. You'll notice no wires. That because it plugs in right at the sensor. The left side of the pic is where is plugs in. The right side goes inside.

That's your part number too. I think it was around $20 at Autozone. Yes, I know I might have a leaking axle seal.

After all that, it didn't fix my problem. It still throws a Left Wheel Sensor code, so I guess I'll be chasing electrical since the next likely culprit is a cut in the wire.
DE = Dielectric grease?

Are you saying there's no wire on the rear sensors?

Quote:

post #20 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
DE = Dielectric grease?
Yes on the DE grease, I bought a can that I keep in the garage - it goes on EVERYTHING electrical and is good preventative maintenance, especially if you run through water.

Quote:
All of the sensors have wires, he may be referring to a cut in the wire above/beyond where the new sensor was plugged in.
post #21 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
The front speed sensor comes with a section of wiring that is about 14 or 16" long (guesstimate) that you plug into your Jeep's wiring harness.

The rear speed sensor comes with no wiring since your Jeep's wiring harness plugs right into the sensor at the wheel.

Ron, hopefully I'm muddying up your write-up.

post #22 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Gotcha. Does AutoZone have the front and rear sensors? Should I take the part number from above and give it to them?

Quote:

post #23 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIGAN View Post
The front speed sensor comes with a section of wiring that is about 14 or 16" long (guesstimate) that you plug into your Jeep's wiring harness.

The rear speed sensor comes with no wiring since your Jeep's wiring harness plugs right into the sensor at the wheel.

Ron, hopefully I'm muddying up your write-up.
Just making it more complete!!

Good stuff.
post #24 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Gotcha. Does AutoZone have the front and rear sensors? Should I take the part number from above and give it to them?
They can get both. My rear sensor came in the next day. They also have a scanner that reads ABS codes so you can find out which one needs to be replaced

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

post #25 of 68 Old 01-21-2012, 05:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, my Superchips will read codes and it's my front left throwing the code. Just wondered if they had them in stock.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the front is going to come with the long wire attached, but the rear is gonna be just a sensor, right?

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode