Building Dual Windshield Light Brackets - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo
Building Dual Windshield Light Brackets

I should start off by stating this build was influenced by Venom. Last year I saw a post where I noticed he had dual lights on his windshield. I sent him a PM and asked him where he bought them. He informed me that he had made them. So I sent him a new PM and asked if he would send me some pictures taken close up so I could see how he built his mount. He sent me several picts and told me that he had just done a down-and-dirty job to get something on his windshield.

Here is one of the pictures Venom sent me.

Venom's approach got me thinking about how I might create a dual light mount. After a few weeks I put it out of my mind and more or less forgot about it. Fast forward to late April (2011) and I found myself purchasing two pairs of Rigid Industries Dually D2s and a pair of Duallys. My original intention was to put one pair of Dually D2s on the windshield and a second pair on the front bumper. The Duallys are going to go onto the outside corners of my rear Shrockworks bumper. After mulling things over I decided I wanted to place both pairs of Dually D2s on the windshield. Once again I started thinking about how to create a cool mount for them. This is how I went about building my new dual mounts.

I knew I would need a solid base. I decided to use 3/16 inch steel plate. I created a template that matched the curve of the Hood/Fender. I made sure it would also be the correct height to easily support two Dually D2s. I drilled a pair of holes in each base to line up with the bolt holes at the base of the windshield.

Making the tabs for the lights was easy once my friend Gary made a suggestion. He suggested I take rectangular tubing and cut pieces 2 inches long.

Next I cut the 2 inch rectangular tubing diagonally across the narrow side. This gave me two tabs.

I repeated the process with a second piece of rectangular tubing. That gave me the four tabs I would need for the four lights. I then drilled a mounting hole towards what would be the front of each tab. The next thing I did was mount the base plate and determine what angle was necessary in order for the tabs to be oriented correctly so that their edges will be parallel to the sides of my Jeep. Once I had things marked I cut the rear edge of the tabs.

I then proceeded to TIG weld the tabs to the base plates. These next few pictures help to demonstrate what things were looking like at this stage.

I then temporarily mounted the lights to make sure everything was lined up correctly. I was super pleased with the mount on one side of the Jeep, but I also noticed I need to remove one tab on the second base plate and weld it once again in a slightly different position.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •

Last edited by Hemo; 07-25-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

After making sure everything lined up correctly and looked good I powder coated the mounts. Here are a few pictures of the powder coated mounts.

At this point I decided to temporarily remount the lights to see how things looked with the powder coated mounts.

At this point I needed to add one thing to the mounts. They needed some form of cushioning on the back side so they would not scratch the paint. I bought a 12 x 12 inch sheet of 1/8 inch thick Poron from Amazon.

It has adhesive on one side which makes very easy to attach it to the mounts. I cut out, and attached, the cushion to each mount.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •
post #3 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I then mounted both mounts to the windshield on my Jeep.

Next, I mounted the Dually D2 lights on the Driver's side. I used Loctite Blue to make sure the lights would remain snug on the tabs.

I then mounted the Dually D2s on the Passenger side. I once again used Loctite Blue.

Here is a final shot from the front of the Jeep.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

How much for a pair? I was actually looking for someone selling these. Nice work! I gotta buy a welder!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

how did you run your wiring???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
How much for a pair? I was actually looking for someone selling these. Nice work! I gotta buy a welder!

I have never thought about making them for anyone else. Let me mull that over a little. I would be happy to have a vendor jump on it and start making something like it. I only did it because I couldn't find anyone else who was doing it.

post #7 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigo View Post
how did you run your wiring???

Dually lights come with a wiring harness. Their wiring harness includes a relay and a switch. Everything is provided. In my case I removed their relay and switch. I then ran the wiring under the plate right in front of the windshield where the wipers are. I connected them to my sPod under the hood. I use two sPod switches to control the lights. One switch for the top pair and the other for the bottom pair. I can easily connect them all to a single switch because the power draw is pretty low.

Last edited by Hemo; 07-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MannyLx450

Hemo,

Thanks for share all this information with us man. Am so glad you feel happy with your purchase. You really made a great job on those mounts. That was a great idea

I will keep my eyes on this Am sending you a PM

THanks again man,

Manny. Great Job. ! ! ! !

Your Rigid Industries Source

PH: 754-201-58-48
post #9 of 27 Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Rock God

Excellent work! Looks great.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #10 of 27 Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great Job. I love home built stuff !

The Project is moving forward.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeato View Post
Excellent work! Looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
Great Job. I love home built stuff !

Thanks lbeato & Muvovr,

Thanks for the kind words! It was a mini labor-of-love.

I really planned on just buying dual mounts until I discovered no one made any. With the growing popularity of small LED lights I hope someone steps forward to manufacture dual mounts. I believe there is a market for them.

post #12 of 27 Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Granite Guru

I like it , it came out nice. Maybe put another plate from the bracket to one or two of the screws that hold the wind sheild frame.
You should look into a patent for these before someone else and makes all the money.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

looks good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Roger I am impressed! Very nicely done Thanks again for the purchase.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemo View Post
I can almost see my house from here.

Looks good Roger.

Andy

post #16 of 27 Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I saw a photo of this jeep with the mounts on Facebook... Rigid's link. I like them...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sharp looking mounts. The final product looks very slick.

The only other thing i would have done is to drill out or open up the top mount to run the wiring down through.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #18 of 27 Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Sharp looking mounts. The final product looks very slick.

The only other thing i would have done is to drill out or open up the top mount to run the wiring down through.

You and I think alike. Drilling a second hole for the wiring was my original idea however I quickly ran into an issue. Rigid Industries does a nice thing but in this case it caused me to slightly alter my plan. Rigid sells the dually lights with a nice Weather Pack connector. That makes most installations a breeze but in this case it created a challenge because it would have required a very large hole to be able to feed the connector through. I suppose I could have cut off the connectors and then attached new ones but I was eager to get the lights on my Jeep.

post #19 of 27 Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to ksu_man_jk33

They look real slick....I can see the final product reflects the amount of work you had to put into that project. Hats off to you bud...

When we going wheeling again? Can we say KS Rocks??? or how about Superlift @ Hot Springs, AR at the end of October?

2008 JK 2-Dr "X" Flame Red
RC Dual SS Kit
OME HD Coil Lift
True Flow XDI CAI
TeraFlex Flex Arms
Superwinch EPI 9.0S
Rancho Oil Pan Skid
Bushwacker Flat Flares
RRF Front Bumper w/Skid
BenchMark Evap Can Skid
XRC Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
Riddler D30 & D44 Diff Covers
PSC Rocker Knockers w/Sliders
35" Grapplers on AEV 16x8 Bridger's
JKS Adjustable Front & Rear TB, Rear TB Bracket, Quicker Disco's
2012 JKU Rubicon Flame Red - Stock 4 Now
post #20 of 27 Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MannyLx450

Hemo What about a picture at night from one side of the Jeep. I just would like to see how much light reflect on the hood

Manny Xtorm

Your Rigid Industries Source

PH: 754-201-58-48
post #21 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 02:07 AM

They look really good, you did a great job. Any chance we could see some more pics? Maybe a front view from a little further away?

Again, they look great and am sure will perform well .. I might look into doing something like this for my jeep down the road.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Awesome fixture! You should sell them (at least the base metal with welds). Great job and would love to have a pair!!
post #23 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

I wonder if the Duallys could replace the stock fogs. Perhaps just replace the light and use the wiring and switches. I wonder if the Canbus system in the new JK would create issues?
post #24 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Interesting idea only thing I would have changed is I would have made the mount toward the side of the jeep more versus blocking the windshield. How does it look at night can you see well out of the windshield with them on?
post #25 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 PM
TJT
Rock God

Great mounts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode