I should start off by stating this build was influenced by Venom
. Last year I saw a post where I noticed he had dual lights on his windshield. I sent him a PM and asked him where he bought them. He informed me that he had made them. So I sent him a new PM and asked if he would send me some pictures taken close up so I could see how he built his mount. He sent me several picts and told me that he had just done a down-and-dirty job to get something on his windshield.
Here is one of the pictures Venom
approach got me thinking about how I might create a dual light mount. After a few weeks I put it out of my mind and more or less forgot about it. Fast forward to late April (2011) and I found myself purchasing two pairs of Rigid Industries Dually D2s and a pair of Duallys. My original intention was to put one pair of Dually D2s on the windshield and a second pair on the front bumper. The Duallys are going to go onto the outside corners of my rear Shrockworks bumper. After mulling things over I decided I wanted to place both pairs of Dually D2s on the windshield. Once again I started thinking about how to create a cool mount for them. This is how I went about building my new dual mounts.
I knew I would need a solid base. I decided to use 3/16 inch steel plate. I created a template that matched the curve of the Hood/Fender. I made sure it would also be the correct height to easily support two Dually D2s. I drilled a pair of holes in each base to line up with the bolt holes at the base of the windshield.
Making the tabs for the lights was easy once my friend Gary made a suggestion. He suggested I take rectangular tubing and cut pieces 2 inches long.
Next I cut the 2 inch rectangular tubing diagonally across the narrow side. This gave me two tabs.
I repeated the process with a second piece of rectangular tubing. That gave me the four tabs I would need for the four lights. I then drilled a mounting hole towards what would be the front of each tab. The next thing I did was mount the base plate and determine what angle was necessary in order for the tabs to be oriented correctly so that their edges will be parallel to the sides of my Jeep. Once I had things marked I cut the rear edge of the tabs.
I then proceeded to TIG weld the tabs to the base plates. These next few pictures help to demonstrate what things were looking like at this stage.
I then temporarily mounted the lights to make sure everything was lined up correctly. I was super pleased with the mount on one side of the Jeep, but I also noticed I need to remove one tab on the second base plate and weld it once again in a slightly different position.