Here's one of those great products that eliminates a glaring and potentially hazardous deficiency in the JK. Advance Adapters makes a superb upgrade kit that replaces the JK's poorly designed transfer case shift cable, with its weak plastic bushings, and reinforces the shift lever mechanism as well. You can see this link for a description of the kit, plus a video of the major points of the installation.
Because I have a Poly full skid on mine I had to go through some aggravation to get it off and reinstall it. If you still have the factory skids you'll be able to do this in a lot less time than it took me. Here's a few things I found along the way of the install:
o The console removal is pretty easy. You have to remove the t-case lever knob, which can be a notorious PITA. Mine simply would not budge so I put the hook of a small ratchet strap under it and attached the other end of the strap to the rear roll bar. A few cranks on the ratchet and it popped off.
o Once the console is out you have to pop off the cable from the lever and remove the shifter assembly. Take the shifter assembly's top cover off INSIDE the vehicle and you can get to that pesky fourth nut no one mentions.
o Removing the old cable is a PITA! But, in the process don't damage the sealing grommet, it needs to be installed on the new cable and pushes in from the under side. You'll need to cut the old cable in half, slip the grommet off, open up the hole carefully with an X-Acto knife and slide it onto the new cable. Then you can install the new cable.
o AA's instructions on disassembling the shifter and installing the upgraded components are on the money, just take your time. The kit comes with two 1" hex headed bolts for the metal cable bracket you have to add to the shift assembly. The third one is a 1" allen head bolt. I thought they'd shorted me a bolt so I scrounged one out of my stash. (Forewarned is forearmed!)
o The kit requires replacement of the t-case shift lever (the one on the side of the t-case). To get to it you have to remove the front output yoke on the NP241 Roc Trac. Not really a big deal, but take care not to damage the seal. AA, being a quality vendor, supplies a proper new yoke nut, rather than sending you off to the dealer for one. Thank You, Advance Adapters!
o AA's instructions are NOT on the money with regard to the orientation of the new t-case shift lever. They have the picture backwards. If you put it on the way they say in the instructions you can't engage 2wd HI. Just flip it around. You can confirm this by watching the video, they install it the right way on the vid.
o The cable adjustment is tricky. In addition to having put the t-case lever on backwards (per their instructions!), one of the heim joints they sent me wasn't threaded all the way. So, when it bottomed out I didn't have enough adjustment on the cable. I figured it out, and the flipped t-case lever, removed it and ran a tap through to the bottom.
o Once I had the everything installed right the adjustment was fairly easy, but it's not really possible to adjust the cable the way they say without both ends attached to their respective levers. You just have to make sure the cable travels far enough to engage both 2wd HI and 4wd LO fully. These are at the opposite ends of the lever travel, so it's a matter of trial & error until it's right.
o Before you button everything back up make sure it's adjusted right by moving it through the ranges one at a time and spinning the front output yoke to ensure it's engaging correctly. In the process you'll feel an immediate improvement in shift quality.
o At this stage I got to spend an additional couple hours reinstalling the Poly skid system. F*&%!
o With it all back together I took it for a spin. Wow, what a difference! Each gear engages with a positive lock, no fishing around or worrying the clips are going to break.
o The only negative is noise. Because the cable is mounted metal to metal at the t-case lever, the trans mounting bracket and at the shifter it transmits a bit of transmission & t-case noise into the cabin that wasn't there before. Might be able to eliminate some of this by using rubber washers at the cable mounting points, I'm not sure on this.
By all means, spend the $185 on this kit. No more broken clips and now a quality shifter!