Another Driving Light Mod-PSC Brawler Lite w/ Pilot Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Another Driving Light Mod-PSC Brawler Lite w/ Pilot Lights

Lots of information out there about upgrading the factory driving lights with the Pilot brand driving lights.

I decided to install these lights, but with a little twist.
I wanted to be able to plug and unplug the lights, if I ever needed to. So, I wanted to reuse the factory wire harness to trigger the lights.

I got the idea from the interwebs, as far as how to make the plugs to go into the factory driving light harness. Somebody posted it on a Jeep forum (I can not remember which site). So, I won't take credit for that.
I am just posting pix of how I went about doing this mod.
This is a little more involved with just cutting and splicing the wires into the factory wires. I tried an experiment to see if I could wire the lights straight to the factory wires, but the CANBUS did not like the new lights, and kept interrupting power to the lights.

So: I modified a stock JK light bulb to plug into the factory plug, with two wires coming out for power and ground.
Here are the pics of the modified light bulb.
Light bulb before any mods:

Cut the light bulb metal leads, just below the glass part of the bulb, where it goes into the plastic housing of the bulb. I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel. You can see the two leads left in the housing.

Solder a wire to each of the leads left in the housing. These will be used to trigger the power and ground for the relay to be installed.

After the wires are soldered to the leads, fill the inside of the housing where you just did the soldering with epoxy. I used blask Permatex silicone epoxy. The same stuff you can make gaskets with.

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Next, I installed the lights in the PSC Brawler Lite.

After removing the stock driving lights that I had mounted to the bumper, I tried to figure out how to mount the Pilots. I couldn't use the factory housing from the driving lights, as they were loaners and I couldn't hack them up.
After some trial and error, I figured out that the brackets that came with the Pilots could be used to mount the lights to the bumper.

I lined up the lights and brackets to figure out where to drill the holes for the hardware. It is fairly close to the edge of the bumper, but I believe they will work just fine.

Pic of the bracket mounted to the bumper:

Pics of the light attached to the bracket.

Pic of lights and bumper.

After mounting the bumper back up to the Heep, I wired up a relay with the new wires triggering the switched + and -, and the constant + going to the battery. Lots of info on wiring up relays, so I will spare you those details as well. Plugged the newly modified housing into the factory harness.

Tied everything up with loom and wire ties, and that was that. Lights work great, using the stock switch to turn on and off.

I only used one plug to trigger the relay. The other factory plug is wrapped up and unused for now.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............

Last edited by sixty5vdub; 06-06-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode