Cheap and Easy Hard Top Hoist - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Cheap and Easy Hard Top Hoist

Seems to be a lot of you that are like me and don't want to drop big $$$ on a hard top hoist, so I thought I'd throw this idea out for y'all. I have done this in two different garages for both my two door and four door and it is very secure.

I screwed 4 eyebolts into my ceiling joists in my garage. When I back into the garage, 2 bolts line up with the front of the hardtop and two with the rear. With the back glass up I run tie down straps (non-ratcheting type) from the rear eye bolts, through the gap between the glass and the top, under the top, and hook them to the front eye bolts. Then I un-bolt the top and pull the straps tight. The top will lift right off and hang securely out of the way. I lift mine high enough that I can pull straight into the garage with enough clearance between the top and my hood.

*Note: I used the chain to hook the front of the straps to because the straps weren't quite long enough.
Attached Images

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

More pics
Attached Images

post #3 of 70 Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I like it. Simple and cheap. Now I just need to clean my garage so that I can actually pull the Jeep in to take the top off.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
Seems to be a lot of you that are like me and don't want to drop big $$$ on a hard top hoist, so I thought I'd throw this idea out for y'all. I have done this in two different garages for both my two door and four door and it is very secure.

I screwed 4 eyebolts into my ceiling joists in my garage. When I back into the garage, 2 bolts line up with the front of the hardtop and two with the rear. With the back glass up I run tie down straps (non-ratcheting type) from the rear eye bolts, through the gap between the glass and the top, under the top, and hook them to the front eye bolts. Then I un-bolt the top and pull the straps tight. The top will lift right off and hang securely out of the way. I lift mine high enough that I can pull straight into the garage with enough clearance between the top and my hood.

*Note: I used the chain to hook the front of the straps to because the straps weren't quite long enough.
Wish I could do something like that, but my apartment garage is so short, I wouldn't be able to lift the top. Running topless is cool, but not in the hot dry days we've had so far.

Mytouch 4G
post #5 of 70 Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Wheeler

I can't wait to have a garage! I took my top off a few weeks ago with the hopes of putting it in the basement; alas the door frames and hallways in military housing are too narrow. I envy all of you topless JK'ers.
post #6 of 70 Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Jumper View Post
I can't wait to have a garage! I took my top off a few weeks ago with the hopes of putting it in the basement; alas the door frames and hallways in military housing are too narrow. I envy all of you topless JK'ers.
Just a thought for living on base. I might try asking around the motor pool, CE, or if you have a do it yourself auto shop on base, one of those might have someplace in a fenced in lot you could store it. it may be outside, but build a table to put it on and cover with a tarp.
post #7 of 70 Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslee92 View Post
Just a thought for living on base. I might try asking around the motor pool, CE, or if you have a do it yourself auto shop on base, one of those might have someplace in a fenced in lot you could store it. it may be outside, but build a table to put it on and cover with a tarp.
You may have a storage area available to rent monthly through MWR.
post #8 of 70 Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Wheeler

This is a GREAT idea.. I've been looking into all kinds of different ways to hoist off my top solo, (the girlfriend.. while pretty, is kinda weak and scared to help ) I am gonna give this one a go and see how it works for me.

Is there a reason you didn't use ratcheting straps?? I would think they would help raise the top up to the ceiling which would make backing in for re-intallation of the top that much easier, no? I guess maybe ratcheting the roof would cause it to lift uneven.. but I'm curious to hear whether or not its been attempted.

Thanks for the idea.. nice work.
post #9 of 70 Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
This is a GREAT idea.. I've been looking into all kinds of different ways to hoist off my top solo, (the girlfriend.. while pretty, is kinda weak and scared to help ) I am gonna give this one a go and see how it works for me.

Is there a reason you didn't use ratcheting straps?? I would think they would help raise the top up to the ceiling which would make backing in for re-intallation of the top that much easier, no? I guess maybe ratcheting the roof would cause it to lift uneven.. but I'm curious to hear whether or not its been attempted.

Thanks for the idea.. nice work.
I dont think ratchets will be able to lift to the roof. You can only wind so much of the strap in the ratchet before it binds up. Other than that it should work fine, but i think the pull type will be easierto use. Just my. 02

sent via ur mums fishtank

The rubicon is a 29 km. river in northern Italy. "Crossing the rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to pass a point of no return. Originating from Ceasaer's 49 BC crossing of the river, which was considered an act of war
post #10 of 70 Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Is there a reason you didn't use ratcheting straps??
Thanks

The ratcheting straps require you to ratchet the top off of the jeep with each strap individually.

With the non-ratcheting, all you have to do is stand behind the jeep and pull both straps and off it comes. A lot easier.

post #11 of 70 Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Wheeler

Ya I guess that makes sense. I always think the top is gonna be heavier than it actually is, so that's probably why I was thinking ratchet straps. I guess it would be pretty easy to actually lift the top up quite high using pull straps.

Thanks for the reply.
post #12 of 70 Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Wheeler

My fiance does the same thing......I'm curious as to how you lower your top, back down onto the JK. My fiance has to put his jack under his, and lift the rear end till the top sits right down on the jk......

CRUSH 2013 RUBICON
KC Windshield Lights, Cobra CB, Ace Rock Rails
Be sure to visit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 70 Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

I have this exact set up.. Works like a charm. Don't know why people insist on buying $200 + lift's when two tie down strap's and 4 overhead tie in's work perfectly!

The reason for tie down's and not ratchet strap's is simple. Ever try to release a ratchet strap with load on it? With tie down's, you'd simply lift up on your canopy and pull on the tie down loop at the same time...cinches the top up real quick. And with a push of tab it drops down. Such a simple set up.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 70 Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangotango1975 View Post
My fiance does the same thing......I'm curious as to how you lower your top, back down onto the JK. My fiance has to put his jack under his, and lift the rear end till the top sits right down on the jk......
I just press the release on the strap, while holding the slack so it doesn't fall down too hard. This is another reason why I use non-ratcheting type straps.

post #15 of 70 Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
I have this exact set up.. Works like a charm. Don't know why people insist on buying $200 + lift's when two tie down strap's and 4 overhead tie in's work perfectly!

The reason for tie down's and not ratchet strap's is simple. Ever try to release a ratchet strap with load on it? With tie down's, you'd simply lift up on your canopy and pull on the tie down loop at the same time...cinches the top up real quick. And with a push of tab it drops down. Such a simple set up.

Yep. What he said.

post #16 of 70 Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

This... I will be doing this soon. Fantastic idea!

~SoCo

In the next millennium, I'll still be Old School.
post #17 of 70 Old 08-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Thank you ..... Ive been racking my brain for three days now trying to get something to work. I initially went the pulley method however it must require a little engineering as I think my plan made the top heavier.
The tie down straps are perfect. I added four more eye bolts in the rafters, 8 in total, and crisscross two rachet straps as well, just for peace of mind. I can now remove it myself and drive under it in order to park.

Last edited by g0rmac; 08-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.
post #18 of 70 Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Good Job. Glad I could help!

post #19 of 70 Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Rock God

Any worries about the top bending over time stored in this manner? (I'd be storing mine for about 9 months out of the year) Thanks!
post #20 of 70 Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Your my hero; I've been beating myself up trying to this without spending 2 bills.
post #21 of 70 Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Rock God

First my tires, now my hoist, you are my personal mod consultant!
I put off doing this all winter (and summer) because I was over thinking it. 4 eyebolts + 2 straps = problem solved.
What size eyebolts did you use? I'm guessing something with 2" of threads would be more than enough, considering my 2-door top is even lighter.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #22 of 70 Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Rock God

Do you have any issues with the strap chaffing on the weather stripping around the top of the rear window? I'm guessing that you just raise/lower slowly, or do you put something in betweeen to allow it to slide easier?

post #23 of 70 Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Granite Guru

Will you explain what is necessary to lower the top? It looks like you'd have to use a ladder to reach the part of the strap that releases it. Thanks! And it looks great!

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Deep Water Blue,Freedom Hard Top,Bedlined Wheels,Coverkings,Smittybilt tube bumpers,Rigid Floods, Rough Country 2.5"BB
post #24 of 70 Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
First my tires, now my hoist, you are my personal mod consultant!
I put off doing this all winter (and summer) because I was over thinking it. 4 eyebolts + 2 straps = problem solved.
What size eyebolts did you use? I'm guessing something with 2" of threads would be more than enough, considering my 2-door top is even lighter.
Hey man, any time you have a question give me a shout. I have a plethora of information (mostly useless), I'll give you some good/bad advice on any subject. lol.

The eyebolts are the largest ones that Lowes sells in the hardware section. Maybe an inch and a half thread 3/8" dia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
Do you have any issues with the strap chaffing on the weather stripping around the top of the rear window? I'm guessing that you just raise/lower slowly, or do you put something in betweeen to allow it to slide easier?
No issues. It's pretty tough rubber and the strap's material isn't really abrasive. I do raise and lower slowly and a little at a time between each side (~6" per side until at the level I want).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERJKU View Post
Any worries about the top bending over time stored in this manner? (I'd be storing mine for about 9 months out of the year) Thanks!
My top is only off between rainy days (week at the most), but I can't imagine any deformation storing it this way for extended amounts of time. The top really is light, and strong, so there's not enough stress on the contact points to cause any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water Terp View Post
Will you explain what is necessary to lower the top? It looks like you'd have to use a ladder to reach the part of the strap that releases it. Thanks! And it looks great!
Lowering is just a matter of pressing the release on the strap while holding the strap's slack to control the speed. I just stand on the back bumper. I'm 6'3" so I might have a little longer reach than most though.

Last edited by MSUJeep; 09-02-2011 at 08:28 AM.
post #25 of 70 Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Rock God

3 days stuck indoors, seems like as good of a time as any.
Useless advice?? is there any other type?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode