LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig
Flowdaddy headers installed

Ok. Here are the details.

First - why.

As seen above, the driver's side exhaust manifolds have a tendency to crack. Mine split at about 33,000 miles or so. I forget exactly.

Second-
Shorty headers? Yes. They're cheaper and dont require a lot of cutting and head scratching. Ripp Mods has a set of long tube headers that I hear are pretty decent. Borla's long tubes are "offroad only"... but look like theres almost enough room for cats. I didnt want the headache. Simple as that.

Third - choice.
There is a decent selection. I considered buying the Rugged Ridge (Omix-Ada?) headers, but while at Jeep Beach, I found that Rusty's distributes a set of shorty headers for the JK from Flowdaddy. They were on display and I would have brought a set home if it hadn't been for one little hitch... which Rusty promised to work around later in the week. Another reason why I like dealing with small-town businesses. Rusty is a busy guy, but he holds to his word. :thumbsup: Besides that. I like the looks of the headers.

Ok.
Here we go. I only had one problem with the kit. No instructions. The install is relatively easy, but there are some hurdles. Earlier this week before the install, I took time on the internets to look up several manufacturer's installation instructions for both short and long tube headers, just so I'd have all the angles covered. One set tells you to remove the whole inner fender/battery tray on the passenger side... and this is what I attacked first.

Before installing, I took some pics of the welds. The pics didn't come out all that great, but, but welds are clean and obviously hot enough. The welds were only cleaned up where necessary for flow... Good job. Full circumference welds inside the tubes with wide tacks on the outside of the tubes to the flanges. Flanges are pretty thick and plenty stout.

Now.. the tray. It came out pretty easy, but it does add some time to the job. The dividend is the amount of room you have to work with once its out of the way. Wouldnt recommend doing it with the tray in... its worth the effort to remove it. PLUS... it gives you an opportunity to clean up some electrical routing you "may" have done earlier.

(edited photo URLs - 1-26-13)
(and again-- 11-08-13)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b1pig; 11-08-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I had sprayed the nuts on the heat shields and the lower flange bolts with PB Blaster the night before and about an hour before starting. Everything came apart pretty easily. The factory manifold bolts were plenty tight on the passenger side. Once I had the passenger side out, a few of the instructions tell you to reuse the passenger side heat shield. Since the battery is "right there", I felt it was a good idea... plus, considering the little bolts included in the kit, I think thats what Flowdaddy would have suggested as well... if I had instructions.

The new header slides right in with no fuss. I put all bolts in before tightening anything, leaving the two for the heat shield loose. Loc-tite on the lower flange bolts... went together pretty easily.

Ok. Now.. the Driver's side.

You can see some of the crack in the picture. Like I said... about 3/4 around the #2 outlet.

One thing I didnt see anywhere was to remove the ignition coil. Getting the stocker out was no problem, but the header would NOT fit.

You can see how tight a fit it is with Flowdaddy's included heat shield.

The driver's side is the biggest PITA to do. Why? Well, the heat shield is a nice thing to include. Its known that the plug wires will roast on the drivers side. Which is the reason why I had gotten some "socks" for the plugs. I had to bend the heat shield in so I could get the upper bolt in on the #4 outlet. I didn't feel good about prying against the valve cover, but the metal mount for the coil pack is convenient and solid enough.

(edited photo URLs 1-26-13)
(again 11-08-13)

Last edited by b1pig; 11-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 91 Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Here you can see the lower view on the passenger side with the heat shield installed...

... and here from the driver's side.

Final word?
I like em. I pulled the factory muffler back off and put the old Flowmaster back on. Before I did the job, I shot some video. Honestly... it doesnt appear any louder. A little throatier? Yes. We'll see if there was any change (+/-) at all on economy... which I really doubt. I'll have some links for before and after video tomorrow. I can't access youtube from work....

Updated Summary: June 24, 2012

i've also sent in my suggestions to Flowdaddy and Rusty's.
1- removable heat shield
2- include plug boot socks
3- put lock nuts in hardware kits
4- put up some instructions on the website at least.

I look at these as a "builder part", similar to what you'd get from poison spider or others. the quality appears to be very nice, but you need to know what you're doing to install them and work around any headaches in the installation process.

(edit: updated photo URLs 01-26-13)

UPDATE! Go to page 3. Header collector cracks

Last edited by b1pig; 01-26-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Update: Video

I recorded video with the Flowmaster and with no muffler at all.
Before and after the header install.
You can only hear a slight difference in the exhaust note with no muffler. The Flowmaster sounds pretty much the same to me.

Heres the catch. Its on Facebook. (suck it up)
Our page is open anyway... if you can view it, here ya go.

Flowmaster 40 with stock manifolds
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1708287863038

Flowmaster 40 with Headers
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1708291863138

No Muffler - Stock manifolds
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1708286142995

No Muffler - Headers
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1708291063118

If you have trouble with the connection, try using HTTPS for secure.

Last edited by b1pig; 05-26-2011 at 10:21 PM.
post #5 of 91 Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn that sounds good.
post #6 of 91 Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CDavisJK

Nice writeup. Thanks for the videos. It definitely is louder!
post #7 of 91 Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I just looked on Rusty's site these are only $250.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 91 Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

$250 with a two year unlimited mileage warranty according to Rusty. He also said that there had been no problems reported.... and I think that they would know, since they are the sole distributor.

post #9 of 91 Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice write up... sounds great too.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 91 Old 05-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Great job!
I hope there is "some" performance or fuel mileage increase with these...
post #11 of 91 Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Wheeler

After reading this write up I have considered changing my headers to these when my manifolds crack. Then I read the plight of a fellow JKO'er...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53075

Now I am not so sure I would go with anything but the OEMs.
post #12 of 91 Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33n0 View Post
After reading this write up I have considered changing my headers to these when my manifolds crack. Then I read the plight of a fellow JKO'er...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53075

Now I am not so sure I would go with anything but the OEMs.
yeah, rained on my parade too

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #13 of 91 Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Maybe the difference with mine is that i'm using the sleeves over my spark plug boots?

i had them anyway, and the rugged ridge (?) headers include them.

post #14 of 91 Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Granite Guru

does the factory warranty cover the stock manifold cracking Which is obviously a factory defect since we are all having issues,some multiple issues Recall anyone???

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist
post #15 of 91 Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittman2564 View Post
does the factory warranty cover the stock manifold cracking Which is obviously a factory defect since we are all having issues,some multiple issues Recall anyone???
I believe they are covered under the 80K emissions equipment warranty.

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #16 of 91 Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejwil View Post
I believe they are covered under the 80K emissions equipment warranty.
They are not

2007 Unlimited Rubicon
37 BFG KM2's, Raceline Beadlocks, RK 3.5" X-Factor Long Arm, Bilstein 5160's, 5.38's, PSC Armor, and SuperWinch 8500 w/ Viking Line

Matt O.
EOR Racing #4462

Thanks to
, &
, for their help & support.
post #17 of 91 Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

had both of mine replaced under the lifetime power train warranty at 55K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #18 of 91 Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Wheeler

So how happy are you with these since you have had them installed for a while? Did you gain any MPG? Are they holding up well? Has the heat shield rusted at all? Any issues with the gaskets leaking? ect...
post #19 of 91 Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

"maybe" and 1-2 mpg increase overall. i used to stay in the 13s. since then, it stays in the 14s with the occasional venture into the 15's. i drive it hard because its a slug... so...

only issue i had is one of the bolts on the left exhaust flange came loose. tightened it up and no other problems. finish is still very good. the DEI spark plug boots have prevented plug wire melting... and no chafing/cuts on the middle boot sleeve. no discoloration from heat exposure, either.

so far, i've been pleased.
when i got them, i considered them a stock replacement... with the prime investment as "looking cool". no loss in performance or mileage. no noise. so. i'm good with the result. i wouldn't call em a prime competitor with long tubes and a programmer, though. i still need a programmer anyway.

post #20 of 91 Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Wheeler

I just noticed something. How hard is it going to be to change the spark plugs on the drivers side with that heat shield on there? Are they even accessible?
post #21 of 91 Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

i'm pretty sure that the plugs are accessible. a little snug... but using a plug socket or deep well with a swivel should work fine. there is some recess cut in the shield in order to have access to the spark plugs.

post #22 of 91 Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Wheeler

OK Done in 5 hours!

I was able to easily install the headers without removing the battery or the battery tray, any of the fender flares or the steering column shaft. Heck I was even able to keep the air intake on as well. You do need to unbolt the spark plug plug coil pack to insert the drivers side header. This is due to the PITA heat shield.

Well I have 59,210 miles on our JK and the stock manifold has a 4+ inch crack in it!! Total Chinese Junk! Shame on you Chrysler! I have owned 5 new vehicles in my life and this is the second Chrysler made vehicle that a manifold has cracked on me. (My first was a 1990 Eagle Talon) This is 100% negligence and Chrysler simply cutting costs.

Rusty's if you reading this PLEASE make the heat shield a bolt on removable unit. That heat shield turns the drivers side install into a unnecessary nightmare to install! Its very hard to access the bolts and to plug in the spark plug wires, and even harder with the heat sock boots on. I'm definitely not looking forward to replacing the spark plugs down the road.

Also, I did have to modify the the stock passenger side heat shield to get it to fit correctly. It would have been easier to do if I knew it was not going to fit before I bolted on the passenger side header.

As for performance............YES, there is a BIG difference. Not a slight difference a BIG difference. Now since I'm not sure exactly when my manifold cracked and for how long I lost the power I did have, this is my honest opinion I can give. But my wife and I can both tell there is a BIG a difference.

I will report back on the gas millage once I can stop from having a lead foot..
post #23 of 91 Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

a power increase? cool.
i might attribute to recovery of lost power... if the crack was bad enough, it easily could throw off the perceived fuel mixture from the O2 sensors.

glad it came together for you.

post #24 of 91 Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
a power increase? cool.
i might attribute to recovery of lost power... if the crack was bad enough, it easily could throw off the perceived fuel mixture from the O2 sensors.

glad it came together for you.
b1pig thanks to your detailed writeup it made the job very easy!

Thank You!!
post #25 of 91 Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Wheeler

Well we just took a trip from Boise to Lake Tahoe and I still can't believe how much more power the JK has. I am proud to report we are getting 330+ miles per tank of fuel. Simply awesome!

My only issue on the trip was the 4 exhaust bolts came loose and I needed to re-tighten them.

35" Goodyear Mtr's w\Kevlar tires @ 34psi with the stock 4:10 gears.
Superchips Flashpaq set on 91 tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode