Oil pressure and my destroyed crank shaft - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Oil pressure and my destroyed crank shaft

I am new to this forum but have been reading posts about oil pressure issues. here is my story,
Symptoms:
. The engine was starting to tick on start up.
It would go away just after starting.
I got no low oil pressure warning period.
I had no increase in temperature indication.
The engine developed the loud rod knocking symptom on my 5 minute commute to work in one mornings drive.
This is my 18th jeep universal/ wrangler
I purchase my 2008 JK Sahara on Dec 26th 2007. I traded my 2005 TJ unlimited Rubicon in on it. I also traded my 2003 Rubicon in for the 2005. Other than having to have the 6 speed transmission replaced on the 2005 at about 16,000 miles I had no problem with by TJs.

By comparison the 2008 Jk fails the test. Neither of my TJs used a drop of oil between oil changes. I have been changing my oil on the average of 3,000 miles on the JK. At 27,000 miles on the way to work last month I stopped at the local Jack for a breakfast sandwich and while I had the window rolled down at the drive thru, I noted the car in front of me was knocking pretty badly. Well guess what? When he pulled a way the sound stayed with me. The bottom line is that Chrysler denied the Full power train warranty on my now toasted crank shaft Rod bearings. Even after giving them all the receipts for the oil and filters I had purchased to service the vehicle.
After Don Matson Jeep refused the warranty I had it towed to my Shop. I pulled the engine and removed the crank. All of the mains micd out nominal and showed little wear except for light scratching. The number one & number six Rod bearings had severe wear with number 6 showing extreme wear of the crank shaft journal. All of the mains and rod journals on the crank except for number 6 could probably have been turned down. The number 6 could not even be turned down to .030 under. After and attempt to turn it down it still had about a 1 inch by three eighths inch spot that the grinder did not touch. The other thing that bothered me is that when I took it apart myself the # 1 and number 6 rod caps were switched between the two rods. Did the inspecting mechanic do this when he put the parts back together or did Chrysler do it when they assembled the engine?
After the new crankshaft and bearings which I purchased from Lithia jeep in Renton Washington was fit all of the bearing micd out and the oil clearance checked in the middle of the acceptable range with plasti-gauge. I plumbed a mechanical reading oil pressure gauge into the left side oil galley of the engine block. (It is just forward of the left side engine mount and behind the air-conditioning pump) A I believe a 3/8ths pipe plug fitting installed with an allen pipe plug if your looking for a place to plumb in an oil gauge. After the engine was installed back in the jeep I pre oiled it by turning the engine over for about a minute until the oil gauge read 60 PSI. Once it started to read it came up quick. It took about a minute of cranking. I installed the plugs & wires and started the engine. The cold oil pressure reading was still in the 60 PSI range. I took it for a test drive around the block. Came back and checked every thing out no leaks, no noises but the radiator fan was cycling pretty often. But the temperature was nominal.
I took the jeep far about another 10 mile test drive. Returned back to the shop to check it out and found the engine quiet running smooth and not a noise note during start not a tick, grind or burp. No check engine light this morning on the drive to work it runs smooth and I am happy. After the longer test drive the oil pressure at idle was 15 PSI and was 50 PSI at 2,000 rpm both within normal operations according to the manual.
As much as I do not care for how Chrysler treated me. I have really appreciated the opportunity to get into this new jeep engine.
Thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Granite Guru

I am sure all the info explaining what was wrong is in your post. However, for the non-mechanics, especially me, what was it that went wrong. I understand from your post that the rod bearings failed. Why do you think this happened. Was this just bad luck with a combination of parts causing the system to be out of tolerance or just a set of bad bearings? You certainly could not have maintained your engine any better. Why did Chrysler not honor your engine warranty? Maybe they did you a favor by not doing the work and forcing you to do this yourself. They will never reimburse you for your time or parts will they. Glad your engine is happy again.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 PM
TrailDuty.com

Sorry to hear of your problems, but sounds like you know what you are doing :-)

I run a pressure sender off a sandwich plate at the filter and it sits about at 20-25 psi at idle once warmed up and between 40-50 on the highway.

IIRC the pressure relief valve is set somewhere in the mid 60's, and the only time I ever see it getting that high is when real cold and accelerating or just after an oil change.

I found that M1, Pure One, & K&N filters drained back quickly, resulting in ticking at start up. I use Fram Extended Guard filters now and have no drain back issues.

My JK always drank oil, I have 110k miles on it now and it guzzles a qt every 2k miles or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

You would be suprised how many of us are just like you. It amazes me why some are covered and some are not. I am about 6 months into my lawsuit, which I am told could take quite some time. Have been told since the Fiat purchase, all major repairs are denied(not sure if true)

I went through the run around of contradiction from everyone at Chrsyler (dealer, DM, Corporate), Even got a "courtesy call" to make sure I was satisified with my expierence(that rep wasn't expecting my response). Everytime I get a advertisement from the dealer that screwed me, I debate throwing the block threw their front window during one of their sales extraganzas.

I have moved on though. Have a HEMI now and loving it. I have have tried to block most of it out of my mind, at least until the lawyer calls.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycauburn View Post
You would be suprised how many of us are just like you. It amazes me why some are covered and some are not. I am about 6 months into my lawsuit, which I am told could take quite some time. Have been told since the Fiat purchase, all major repairs are denied(not sure if true)

I went through the run around of contradiction from everyone at Chrsyler (dealer, DM, Corporate), Even got a "courtesy call" to make sure I was satisified with my expierence(that rep wasn't expecting my response). Everytime I get a advertisement from the dealer that screwed me, I debate throwing the block threw their front window during one of their sales extraganzas.

I have moved on though. Have a HEMI now and loving it. I have have tried to block most of it out of my mind, at least until the lawyer calls.
I have moved on beacause I do not have the time to deal with it. I belive the problem for the engine stems from poor assembly and high oil usage as oullined in other previous posts submittet by others here. It is reading all of these posts that makes me belive that Chrysler is trying to scirt the problem. and nothing short of a class action suit is going to solve it.
Why is Chrysler doing this? I have no Idea. What does Five Stars mean? It's advertising glitter
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Too bad about the issues you've had... glad you Jeep is back on it's feet.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Well thankfully you are here now and can help out the rest of us. I wish I had the skills and tools to tear apart my engine like you but I don't so it is probably only a matter of time on my engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode