Ball Joint Install Vids - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Ball Joint Install Vids

Specialty tools used:
- Harbor Freight "Four Wheel Drive Ball Joint Service Kit"
- 2" long X 1.25" piece of pipe. (I'm sure that 1.5" diameter would work too)
- 1.5" - 1.75" OD washers (I used four thick ones)
- Small piece of 1/8" thick steel to use as a spacer. I used a thick washer.
- 21mm socket for caliper bolts
- 35mm socket for the axle nut
- 12 point 13mm closed end wrench
- Torque wrench
- might need a pickle fork
- A small box that's strong enough to support the weight of the brake disk and caliper (8" - 12" tall)
- All other required tools are fairly common.

Here's the order of events. (not very useful when taking it apart, but will most likely save some frustration when putting it back together)

Removal:
1. Remove wheel and clean the working area. A pressure washer works great.
2. Remove the two 21mm caliper bolts and place the brake disk and caliper on the box
3. Remove the speed sensor
4. Remove 3 12 point 13mm bolts, axle nut, unit bearing and axle shaft
5. Remove ball joint cotter pins and castle nuts
6. With the 2" piece of pipe and washers, press out the upper ball joint
7. Press out the upper ball joint
8. Press out the lower ball joint

I could have save a lot of time, by printing out the following and keeping it next to me during the install

Installation: (this assumes that you will torque all fasteners to spec and use thread locker when required)
1. Press in the lower ball joint
2. Install zerk fitting if applicable
3. Using the 1/8" spacer, press in the upper ball joint
4. Install Zerk fitting if applicable
5. Install the grease boots (do not grease yet)
6. Using the lower ball joint castle nut, place the knuckle in position
7. Place the speed sensor wire holder, in place on the upper ball joint and install the upper castle nut
8. Torque the castle nuts to spec and install cotter pins
9. Grease the ball joints if applicable
10. Install axle
11. Run the speed sensor wire through and install the dust cover, unit bearing and axle nut
12. Install the speed sensor
13. Install the brake disk and caliper...

Couple of ball joint install vids:

YouTube - Jeep JK Ball Joint Installation - Part 1 of 2 Removal

YouTube - Jeep JK Ball Joint Installation - Part 2 of 2 Install

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Rock God

Very nice Woods!!
post #3 of 45 Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Great video.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Subscribing, since I feel mine are going...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #5 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
JKO Addict!

yeah mine are going too, subscribed!
post #6 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Rock God

Excellent video man. I'll be keepin this one to look back to for sure! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #7 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Super nice videos. I needed these videos like 3 months ago.

W6FJK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Excellent "write-up"

Thanks for taking the time to make that vid

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #9 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice description and video! Great job!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 45 Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Excellent write-up and video. Well thought out. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #11 of 45 Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Very cool, I will be doing this project in the next couple of weeks. Just got the new ball joints. Gonna go with Ried knuckels and new unit bearings while I'm at it.

Thanks for the write up.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 45 Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

x2 great videos, thanks for taking the time to make them and post them up, will be doing this myself shortly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Very cool, I will be doing this project in the next couple of weeks. Just got the new ball joints. Gonna go with Ried knuckels and new unit bearings while I'm at it.
stock unit bearing replacement? did a quick search didn't see much in the way of aftermarket replacements.

any specific axle seal replacements everybody favors?

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #13 of 45 Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post

Thanks for the write up.
Lemme know

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 45 Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Granite Guru

WOW!! I installed by new Poly Ball joints yesterday and I most definitely needed a couple of beers after installing them. Just want to give thanks to Brett from Jeep Swag for making a 'great' video and providing written instructions and having the ball joints in stock when I needed them. Oh, and to everyone else that have already have done the ball joint install, here's to you

4dr Unlimited Rubicon - Rescue Green
Poly Performance 4.5" Synergy Stage 3 Suspension System
JE Reel 1350 Jeep JK Front/Rear Driveline With New Yokes
Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit
37" Toyo MT's
post #15 of 45 Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by offinthewoods View Post
x2 great videos, thanks for taking the time to make them and post them up, will be doing this myself shortly as well.

stock unit bearing replacement? did a quick search didn't see much in the way of aftermarket replacements.

any specific axle seal replacements everybody favors?
FYI i ordered a Timken HA590242 unit bearing it has the Chrysler P/N Etched into it so i am assuming Timken makes these for Chrysler. It was 79 bucks shipped at Rock Auto and it comes with the speed sensor Q-Tech wants 130 bucks for the Chrysler P/N which is the same part.

2008 Black X 2" Rusty's lift, 33's XRC rear Bumper ( Traded in on Arctic)
2012 Arctic Edition (Traded in on Truck )
post #16 of 45 Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasJK View Post
WOW!! I installed by new Poly Ball joints yesterday and I most definitely needed a couple of beers after installing them. Just want to give thanks to Brett from Jeep Swag for making a 'great' video and providing written instructions and having the ball joints in stock when I needed them. Oh, and to everyone else that have already have done the ball joint install, here's to you

I agree with my lowers did not want to come out at all i wish the popped out as easy as the ones in the video did. I had a 2 ft breaker bar and both of my jack handles onto the end of it while pushing with my legs to break them loose while smacking the knuckle with a sledge. I did not bend of break the harbor freight 4x4 ball joint press i must be a lucky one. I did manage to break the passenger side speed sensor, but i put it back in with the two metal prongs in the holes where it broke and i did not get any ABS lights. I bought the whole unit bearing to replace when i drill out the broken piece at least i will have an extra unit bearing i guess. One tip i would like to ad if you get both of your speed sensor out without breaking them re route the wires so you don't have to pull the sensor out when you remove the bearing next time.

2008 Black X 2" Rusty's lift, 33's XRC rear Bumper ( Traded in on Arctic)
2012 Arctic Edition (Traded in on Truck )
post #17 of 45 Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Anyone know what size socket I'm gonna need to remove the stock castle nuts to do this install?

I'm at harbor freight and need to know ASAP!!

post #18 of 45 Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
Anyone know what size socket I'm gonna need to remove the stock castle nuts to do this install?

I'm at harbor freight and need to know ASAP!!

I know it is late but for future searches - the top one is a 22mm and the bottom is 1 1/8"

post #19 of 45 Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks to Woods for posting those videos. I wouldn't have taken it on without that.

I will say that he makes it look awful easy... mine fought me from the start and kept on fighting until I put the wheels back on. Good news is that its done, test driven and I can actually feel a difference.

Nice work Poly, and Woods.

While watching the videos (numerous times) I wondered why you would need the washers, spacers and 2" piece of pipe. I used a threaded nipple instead of pipe and it worked perfectly. Easier for me to get as well. The extra stuff that Woods suggested is a necessity IMO... even though there are multiple adapters in the cheapo Harbor Freight kit. More on the kit in a min.

Here is my pile of extras as per Woods.

The Harbor Freight kit works.... it is cheap and won't last long but it gets the job done. It will also do U joints and brake anchor pins. The threaded jackscrew is 15/16 on the end and will work with a short socket.

The pickle fork was needed big time in my install and I basically trashed it getting my hubs to release. My dead blow hammer wasn't getting the job done so a small sledge should be close by in case you run into the same headache. I was going to buy the pneumatic pickle fork but they were out and I don't know if it would have done any better... you could always just hammer it in like the other one that they offer.

I didn't have a box to rest the brake assembly on but have used my tire in the past and it worked well to hold things where I could reach them. I used a bucket turned upside down to hold the outers after getting them to release.

I would suggest that you soak everything in PB blaster before you get busy.... soaking things the night before should help quite a bit. I have had my front axle torn apart not too long ago (8mo) and everything was pretty grumpy.... could be that I am like a fuckin' gorilla when I bolt stuff up too.

One thing that I ran into was the upper spring perch was always in the way.... a good fix for that is to lower the side that you are working on after you get the wheel/tire off and, if needed, jack the vehicle up using something other than the axle so the springs can flex out a bit - giving you some room to work.

I didn't get an after pic but it was a non issue after adjusting where the axle was, height wise.

Another tip...
Make sure that you remove the grease boots and spring retainer from the Poly ball joints otherwise you will likely ruin them while pressing the BJ in.

Once you get them pressed in you can easily slide them back into place. I found that it was easier to install the spring retainer back on the boot before sliding it back on the BJ.

The bottom grease zert should be facing forward so you can easily get to it for service.

Old vs new.... from the passengers side.

A quick vid.... there is a bad ball joint in the vid somewhere.. you have to look for it real close but it can be found.

YouTube - ‪2011-07-09_09-33-56_857.mp4‬‏

So.... plan for the possibility of lot of work and bring some patience, watch the vids several times and make sure you have everything that you need before you get started and you can get'er done.

post #20 of 45 Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Thanks for the additional info Ron. My HF ball joint kit just showed up on Friday so next Sat I'm going for it. Can't bvelieve how bad your lower looks in that video!

I haven't found any hub bearings that look better than stock. Well the SKF's look good but are very high $. Soooo I'm just gonna put new OE ones in. Polly ball joints and Ried knuckls to fix a taper issue that one of my stock ones have. I should be good for a couple of years after that.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 07-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.
post #21 of 45 Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Wheeler

Great information! I followed the video to get the lower ball joint on the drivers side, but I couldn't get the passengers side out that way. I ended up putting the clamp in the same position as installing the lower. It came out easier that way. The double stacking of pucks and tubing kept falling out.

I did have a hard time getting the uppers in. It took a lot of patience, but I finally got them in. Totally can tell the difference. My hood would shake side to side when I got up to 50+. My lowers were shot but the uppers still seemed to be good. Don't put this off, I should have replaced mine a lot sooner than I did.

Joe
Det. Yellow 4dr Rubicon
post #22 of 45 Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

How many miles did y'all get out of the stock ones?

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #23 of 45 Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
How many miles did y'all get out of the stock ones?
They can go at any time-have read guys needing them at 15,000 miles and others go much longer before they crap out. Only constant is they do crap out.

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #24 of 45 Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Wheeler

I hit about 30k with mine and replacing them with the Polys this weekend. This will definitely help when I get started on it. Great write up and videos!
post #25 of 45 Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

This thread and videos were a huge help to me when I did mine last fall. Only hard part of the entire process is removing them. Just take your time and it'll work out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode