center mount limit straps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
center mount limit straps

As discussed in the Poly coilover write up, the only thing I don't like about my coilovers is the unloading at extreme angles. At a hill near my house, I was able to get my front end to unload almost 5". I don't like the idea of finding a place to mount an ATV winch and rigging everything up for suck-down, as it would be a PITA to do on a JK and I honestly wouldn't need it that much. I had seen much discussion on Pirate and NAXJA about center mounted limit straps, and the favored method seems to be 2 straps attached to the frame rails connected to the center-point of the axle. This is basically the best way to rig a center mounted limit strap on a JK with hydro assist because there is too much crap in the way to mount below the engine or run a line back from the front of the Jeep. Also, the center mount allows the axle to articulate quite a bit.

In this pic, you can see how my straps are connected to the inside rail of the frame by welding tabs for the straps to bolt to.
Name:  limit strap frame mount.JPG
Views: 8718
Size:  62.2 KB

In this pic, you can see the double-shear center axle mount. Basically 2 tabs welded to the top of the axle tube, the straps can be connected in an instant with a quick pin.
Name:  limit strap axle mount.JPG
Views: 7489
Size:  53.9 KB

In this pic, the "keeper mount" is shown. This is basically just a place to keep the straps when not in use. The straps are quickly disconnected from the keeper by pulling the pin. I may change this at a later date if I find something better.
Name:  limit strap keeper.JPG
Views: 4751
Size:  54.9 KB

This pic displays the whole set-up connected and at the limit of extension.
Name:  limit straps.JPG
Views: 5689
Size:  129.5 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

The limit straps are rigged to have 1" of drop, but after testing them out for a day, they stretched an additional inch. If I give the straps 1/2 twist before connecting to the axle, there is barely 1/2" of drop.

In this pic, my front coilovers have unloaded 2 inches with straps connected. Before adding limit straps, my Jeep would unload almost 5" in the same spot.
Name:  limit strap hill.JPG
Views: 6599
Size:  133.3 KB

The beauty of center mounted limit straps is that you get to keep much of your flex while they are connected.
Name:  limit strap flex.JPG
Views: 9030
Size:  125.1 KB

Close-up of Jeep flexed with straps connected.
Name:  limit strap closeup flex.JPG
Views: 9116
Size:  129.7 KB

Overall, I like the mod because it is cheap and effective. It only takes a minute to connect and disconnect the straps, but you do have to endure the inconvenience of laying in the dirt while you do it.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good idea man!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

DDog, we have similar jeeps. This is the first time ive seen a side view of yours. Its damn cool.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #5 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looking good man

I ran a starp on each side of the jeep. I havent noticed a ton of unloading yet, i had my straps made to were i lost about .5 inches of droop. I many have to ad some tabs and try it this way as well. Couldnt hurt any thing.

www.jeepasylum.com
post #6 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Granite Guru

Why would need to disconnect them?
post #7 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice work, man!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Why would need to disconnect them?
Because my limit straps are not set up to prevent shocks from over-extending or binding, as is common with straps connected to the axle ends. Straps for that purpose are not necessary with my set-up.

My straps are set up to prevent my axle from drooping at all. The one draw-back to coilovers is that they unload when weight is removed; so on a steep incline, the front coilovers want to fully extend causing the front tires to loose traction and creating the potential for the Jeep to flip backward. This is why most buggies and many highly modified Jeeps use a "suck-down winch" in the front. Center-mounted limit straps are basically a poor man's suck-down winch.

Leaving the straps connected all the time will totally negate the benefits of using coilovers; You will loose a lot of flex, and the suspension will be stopped from cycling normally at moderate speed which will be a rough ride at best, and damage parts at worst.

There are very few obstacles that will require the straps in my normal course of wheeling (mostly rock gardens), but its nice to have when you need it, and even nicer if they can be connected quickly. Places like Pritchett Canyon, where every obstacle is a steep ledge, can be scary in a 2-door on coilovers.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are your current straps the right length to ad some more tabs at the edge of the axle that way you can hook them up both ways. The 4dr does have a small advantage to prevent the unloading but i watch my buddies CJ unload alot especially at truck haven

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Are your current straps the right length to ad some more tabs at the edge of the axle that way you can hook them up both ways. The 4dr does have a small advantage to prevent the unloading but i watch my buddies CJ unload alot especially at truck haven
OK, I smell what your cooking. Thats not a bad idea; setting the straps up so they can be used both ways.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

You are a genius Dirty!

If I mounted a tab 1" above the axle tube (on my RJ60) directly under the frame, the strap would have 7.25" of drop. Since my front coilovers have 7.5-8" of down-travel, the straps would work both ways. Good thinkin

Name:  IMG_0570.JPG
Views: 3835
Size:  89.3 KB

Also, you could just keep your axle end straps the desired length, and if they are too long for a center mounted suck down, you can just put a twist or two in the straps to shorten the lenght.

Last edited by desert dog; 04-08-2011 at 06:04 PM.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice ...... I need to get me some more tabs

www.jeepasylum.com
post #13 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm definitely stealing this idea. Good job guys!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Rock God

Did this on a friend of mines yj buggy on the rear axle to keep the driveshaft from binding up we used 3/8" winch cable.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Nice work DD! I'm debating going this route or one single in the center that is 4-5" longer than ride height. Did you try the single strap that is 4-5" longer than ride height? Supposedly you won't need to disconnect it but I still want to test that way to see how it behaves compared to the setup you have. I wanted to figure it out before EJS, but ran out of time & ambition.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Nice work DD! I'm debating going this route or one single in the center that is 4-5" longer than ride height.
I could not find an adequate attachment point for a single center strap. There is a round cross member under there, but the strap would hit other things if I attached to that.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Wheeler

Nice idea on the center straps. I'll have to take a closer look at this when I get back from Moab. Jeep should be out of the hospital just in time to make the trip. I'll need to take some time to feel out the coilovers.

Ken
Drivers Training = Fun

07 Rubi 2 Dr. 6-sp, 4" Full traction Long Arm, Dynotrax D60's front and rear, Big brakes, Evo double throwdown front coilovers, Kings on the rear, 38" Toyo's on TrailReady beadlocks, 1350 Coast DS's, Atlas 4sp, PSC extreme ram, High steer, GenRight Aux. Tank, Currie Anti-Rock rear sway, Spod, bunch O'h other stuff.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Granite Guru

so i will be needing to do this for street use. If i just run the center strap and leave it connected on the trail, i will loose flex? i like the idea about doubling the center straps as the outer limiting straps

Daily driven and self sponsored

07 X RK X factor 5.5 long arm w/coilovers, Coast front ds, adams rear shaft, 5.13's, Detroit rear/ e-locker front, Ten factory front & rear shafts, artec c gussets, synergy ball joints, rockhard offroad cage, ipcw tails, aev corners, warn xd9000i, bestop element doors, 37" bfg km2's, 17" TR beadlocks
post #19 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Unloading is not limited to coil overs a standard coil suspension will do the same thing, and the softer the coils the worse the unloading is.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #20 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Unloading is not limited to coil overs a standard coil suspension will do the same thing, and the softer the coils the worse the unloading is.
not sure if you were trying to answer my question.

07 X RK X factor 5.5 long arm w/coilovers, Coast front ds, adams rear shaft, 5.13's, Detroit rear/ e-locker front, Ten factory front & rear shafts, artec c gussets, synergy ball joints, rockhard offroad cage, ipcw tails, aev corners, warn xd9000i, bestop element doors, 37" bfg km2's, 17" TR beadlocks
post #21 of 23 Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Rock God

This thread got me thinking of doing this with the frame side of the front limit strap on a spring loaded slide mechanism the would use an electronic locking pin. This would be a switch in the cab that would then limit down travel of the front axle for climb situations. I don't really feel like mounting a winch there. Anyone seen anything like this or even think it would work?
post #22 of 23 Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

Really great thread!

I have not seen center straps like this before but it has me really thinking. The below is not me trying to diss your setup or say you did something wrong, it is just me thinking out loud since i have not seen this before. I'm no engineer by any means and i'm probably way overthinking this, but with limiting straps like this where they are mounted to the center of the axle then diagnal to the frame I would think it actually negatively effects the amount of travel for each side, not only in regards to full droop. I could be very wrong here, but see if this makes any sense. Since we have a track bar the axle actually does move side to side during extreme travel. Since the straps are diagnal it would actually stop the axle from drooping at a certain point on each side since the straps are not completely vertical. For example when flexing up on something on the dirvers side your passenger tire will droop causing your axle to move towards the drive side due to the track bar pulling it over. The limiting strap on the passenger side will catch and stop the axle since it is now pulling sideways and down. Vise versa for the other side. You did make them able to be disconnected so you even if this is true you wont have to worry about it. I'm just trying to start a discussion and gain some knowledge. If you have already tested this let us know your results as i'm very curious.

Northridge 4x4 Krawl Off-Road PolyPerformance/Synergy Suspension
RockKrawler

08 JK unlimited - No groceries allowed
post #23 of 23 Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAddiction View Post
Really great thread!

I have not seen center straps like this before but it has me really thinking. The below is not me trying to diss your setup or say you did something wrong, it is just me thinking out loud since i have not seen this before. I'm no engineer by any means and i'm probably way overthinking this, but with limiting straps like this where they are mounted to the center of the axle then diagnal to the frame I would think it actually negatively effects the amount of travel for each side, not only in regards to full droop. I could be very wrong here, but see if this makes any sense. Since we have a track bar the axle actually does move side to side during extreme travel. Since the straps are diagnal it would actually stop the axle from drooping at a certain point on each side since the straps are not completely vertical. For example when flexing up on something on the dirvers side your passenger tire will droop causing your axle to move towards the drive side due to the track bar pulling it over. The limiting strap on the passenger side will catch and stop the axle since it is now pulling sideways and down. Vise versa for the other side. You did make them able to be disconnected so you even if this is true you wont have to worry about it. I'm just trying to start a discussion and gain some knowledge. If you have already tested this let us know your results as i'm very curious.
i believe the diagonal straps are doubling as the outer straps when on the trail.

while on the street he has them going to the center to limit the upward lift during acceleration at stop lights and such

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode