$10 Door Guards - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

$10 Door Guards

I've owned three Jeeps now so I have no problem getting in and out without dragging my feet over the sill but apparently none of my passengers are able to lift their feet while entering an exiting my jeep as the sills of my other three doors are already showing a significant number of scuffs. So, I had added sill guards to my to-do list.

Last night while wandering through the local parts store to see if they had anything I didn't know I needed, I ran onto this

and a thought came into my head. Here is what became of that thought

Front:

Rear:

Since this stuff is peel-and-stick the how to is pretty simple
  1. Clean the area to be protected
  2. Cut tape to length
  3. Trim tape to fit
  4. Stick tape to appropriate location
  5. Repeat until you have covered all areas of concern

If you find yourself needing more detail than this, please give the scissors to an adult before you hurt someone with them; this project is likely beyond you ability.

I will field any intelligent questions. Stupid questions will probably be mocked by other forum members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Rock God

NICE! I'll have to look for that stuff the next time i go to lowes/home depot/etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Did a quick search on the store's web site for you

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0060&ppt=C0404
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Nice!!! Gotta love innovation.............
post #5 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

What size scissors did you use? Will a really sharp knife work just as well? What do you do w/ the stuff you peel off? Is it safe to dispose of in general landfills? How long does it take to cure? Did you use a hair dryer to heat shrink it? My house faces north and south, should it be facing east and west for this to work better?

post #6 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
What size scissors did you use? Will a really sharp knife work just as well? What do you do w/ the stuff you peel off? Is it safe to dispose of in general landfills? How long does it take to cure? Did you use a hair dryer to heat shrink it? My house faces north and south, should it be facing east and west for this to work better?
Yes
post #7 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 05:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

do i need left handed sissors for the passenger side?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Let me see if I can answer some of these questions

What size scissors did you use?
- Left-handed pink bunny safety scissors.

Will a really sharp knife work just as well?
- Didn't think of that. Probably better than the bunny scissors.

What do you do w/ the stuff you peel off?
- Fold origami models to display on the dashboard.

Is it safe to dispose of in general landfills?
- Consult your local sanitation engineer.

How long does it take to cure?
- About half as long as twice the dry time.

Did you use a hair dryer to heat shrink it?
- I'm neither married nor a woman so I don't have a hair dryer.

My house faces north and south, should it be facing east and west for this to work better?
- My house faces East so I cannot tell you for sure. I recommend you check your local building ordnances.

Do i need left handed scissors for the passenger side?
- Only if you're ambidextrous and can stand on you head at the same time.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Wouldn't it be better to cut it with a cinderblock and rop?
How well would this work to hold up my rebel flag? Will it interfere with sex in my jeep?
post #10 of 20 Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

I did the exact same thing to my TJ. The only drawback was that all my jeans developed a hole just below my right ass cheek after i lifted the jeep. When i would get out my right side would always rub the sill just a little bit.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Granite Guru

I did a similar thing in my lifted JK with a roll of grip tape that I had in the shop...worked great until my wife slide out in a pair of shorts and tore up the back of her thighs and her ass...FAIL

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, honorably discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
post #12 of 20 Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I like this stuff because it has a rubberized feel rather than the sandpaper finish you find with most grip tape. Also, its vinyl instead of paper backed so it bends rather than tearing.

Last edited by FosDad; 04-03-2011 at 11:33 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosDad View Post
I like this stuff because it has a rubberized feel rather than the sandpaper finish you find with most grip tape. Also, its vinyl instead of paper backed so it bends rather than tearing.
Good to know, I was going to ask if you had noticed any chafing of the rubber door seals.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosDad View Post

If you find yourself needing more detail than this, please give the scissors to an adult before you hurt someone with them; this project is likely beyond you ability.

I will field any intelligent questions. Stupid questions will probably be mocked by other forum members.
Priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #15 of 20 Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just over two years and these door guards are still doing their job. Best $10 I've ever spent on a Jeep.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Rock God

I use this stuff all over. It is protecting my B pillar from skuffs and I use it as temporary paint protection on the windshield frame, cowl and upper door sills of my wife's LJ when we take it on the trail. Its great as temporary paint protection against trail pin striping. Kinda like how road racers use painters tape to protect their front bumpers from getting stone chips when they take their cars to track day. It peels off rather easily and clean up is just as easy and it stands up great against tree branches and limbs.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #17 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Im curious too about the door seals to the rub and wear? also how well does it seal when wading through water? This was my concern about the sill protectors you can buy they will leave a lip that could let water in?
post #18 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Wheeler

That looks great !

I put that same stuff on my ACE rails, as they were slicker than goose shit when wet.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdmad90 View Post
Im curious too about the door seals to the rub and wear? also how well does it seal when wading through water? This was my concern about the sill protectors you can buy they will leave a lip that could let water in?
Its basically tape so as long as you get it flat (no air bubbles) water cant get under it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #20 of 20 Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Wheeler

Hands down the best DIY thread in forum history! Can't wait for my JK to get here now. I think I'll probably take this one to a shop though. I just don't have the shop capability to lift my jeep so the door sills are at a working height off the ground. Maybe I can dig a foxhole in the backyard and just park the jeep next to it? I'll have to check the German law on digging though.

-LSv

I miss my YJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode