GenRight ALUM Front Bumper Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
GenRight ALUM Front Bumper Install

This is what I did to install my GenRight ALUM front bumper. There were no instructions included with the bumper. The install is pretty straight forward but there were a couple of things I had to contact GenRight about. They got the answer right back to me. This is not overly detailed but hopefully it helps.

1. Remove your old front bumper and fogs. I had removed an aftermarket bumper to install this one but the stock one is straight forward. You may need to remove the stock tow hooks and then remove the 8 bolts behind the frame rails.

2. If you are going to mount lights onto the bumper drill the hole now.

3. This is what I received. It was banded to two pallets and packed very well. Everything was accounted for. Before you begin I would recommend buying 8 1 1/2" 7/16 grade 8 bolts and nuts to replace the ones shipped with the bumper. the 1 1/4" bolts do not go all the way through the nuts when you bolt this together. Another quarter inch is all you need.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

4. You will need to cut the front frame brace at an angle on both sides. you can place the bumper up and mark where it touches. You will need to cut it from where it is mounted to the frame at an angle inward to the very edge of the first hole on each side.

5. Loosen the swaybar and remove the rubber grommet so you can put the tray up into place.

6. Thread the top hole in the frame rail on each side with the tap provided.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

7. Insert the winch tray between the frame rails by sliding it up from the bottom. There is a slot in the tray that will go between frame and the frame horns. It will be a tight fit and if you did not loosen your sway bar it will not let the tray lay flat. It sits very close to the swaybar once it is bolted in place.

8. Install the side supports onto the frame rail so the holes line up with the lower bolt an the top bolt. The kit came with four course thread 1" bolts and four nuts welded to a metal tab. Slide the metal tab up into the support and put a bolt through the lower hole when it is lined up. * my kit has fine thread nuts so I had to use two of the 1 1/4" bolts intended for the front frame horns. Tighten these down now.

9. Install your winch now. Use whatever mounting hardware came with the winch. There are eight mounting holes.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

10. Now you can install the bumper. If the lower brace was cut you should be able to slide the bumper all the way back against the grill. The upper hole should line up with the hole you tapped earlier in the frame. There is a 1/2" bolt that will go in this hole.

11. On the lower brace install the remaining course thread bolts into the two holes in the bottom of the bumper. You will use the two remaining nuts with metal tabs welded to them behind these bolts. * my kit had fine thread nuts welded to the tabs so I used two more bolts intended for the front frame horns.

12. Use the remaining bolts to mount the front bumper with the shackle loops onto the front of the frame horns. I recommend using 1 1/2" bolts instead of the 1 1/4" bolts provided. The nuts are easily accessible from the back of the bumper. If the holes do not line up place a punch into one of the front holes and press down or up to get the holes to align.

12. Torque the remaining bumper bolts down.

2K8 Rubicon SWB

Last edited by carbonunit; 03-11-2011 at 01:29 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Update

If you are installing or have a Currie AntiRock front sway bar you may need to trim part of the bumper. I was installing a new one and discovered the sway bar hit the bumper while rotating.

You will need to trim about 1/4" from the side of the bumper right at the top of the cross brace. I also had to install the bolts from the bottom as I did not trim enough to clear the nylock nuts.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
post #6 of 9 Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Granite Guru

I realy like this bumper! How is it holding so far? Have you used it hard? Did you do anything special for painting it? Just wondering if bomb can paint will stick ok to aluminum?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPlimo View Post
I realy like this bumper! How is it holding so far? Have you used it hard? Did you do anything special for painting it? Just wondering if bomb can paint will stick ok to aluminum?
The bumper is holding up well. I have not abused it at all yet so that is a factor.

To paint it I scuffed it with a scotch pad and then cleaned it with a degreaser. I primed it with a self etching primer rattle can and then painted it with a rattle can black paint. So far it is holding up well.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

REALLY looking into the stubby version of this- have you taken any hard hits with it yet? If so, how'd it do? Thanks! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #9 of 9 Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
REALLY looking into the stubby version of this- have you taken any hard hits with it yet? If so, how'd it do? Thanks! Mark W.
No hard hits on this one yet. I dropped it onto a rock but the front cross brace took the brunt of the force. So far I am really happy with it.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode