Soft Top Header Replacement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp
Soft Top Header Replacement

First off, thanks to Joe for the use of his garage and help.

Well, I screwed up and let my 36k warranty pass without getting the TSB done to fix my noisy soft top header (TSB# 23-010-09 Revision A - Jul 09). The noise was getting was insane and it was miserable to drive on the highway (BTW, I have owned 3 tj's and a cj-8 and never had noise this bad,,,,ok, maybe on the scrambler ).

On the highway there was no way to hold a conversation, talk on the phone etc. and since I travel quite often in my Jeep for work ( road trips average 3-4 hours one way), I'd had enough and bit the bullet and bought the new header.

The kit comes with a new plastic header, a metal brace (in lieu of the really flimsy plastic one that came stock), and two new soft top front support brackets (the sunrider rods). Its an easy fix, took maybe an hour total.

First remove the soft top, lay it upside down, we laid it on a couple blankets on the concrete.

Next drill out the aluminum rivets on the small rods that connect to the sunrider brackets so you can disconnect them from the sunrider brackets.

Flip the header over to gain access to the screws.

There are 4 phillips head screws on each side of the header, remove them and fold the edge of the soft top away from the header.

There are a bunch of other screws across the header (didn't think to count them, probably around 16 - 20). Take them out and remove the plastic cover.

Here is the header separated from the fabric, the new metal support header, and the crappy plastic one that was on there.

Lay the fabric into the channel on the front of the new plastic header, throw some tape on it to hold it in place and insert the new sunrider rods into the header. Place the the metal brace over the fabric and replace the screws in the header careful not to over tighten. Place screws into the sunrider rods to secure it to the header ( the new rods appear to be slightly bent to provide more down pressure on the header to the windshield.

You are done. The difference is night and day. My soft top now inflates when the air is on like it should, there is enough pressure to cause resistance when closing the door, I can feel pressure in my ears when I roll up the windows, and best of all, i can hear the radio and conversations. The top is much tighter. There is a slight whistle, but I think I can fix that by replacing some foam tape that was on the corners. Oh, and here is one of the links that held the small rod bracket to the sunrider, don't know why it was bent, but that probably also caused some slack in the old top. The bolt they send with the new rods should hold up better.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps

Last edited by kerryp; 03-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Good write up. I just folded mine back over the spare and got all the screws out. Then taped the new metal header in and replaced the screws. I never had to drill out rivets though.

You are right difference in night and day. Jeep might learn their lesson by throwing cheap stuff out first then having to pay more to fix that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the write-up.

I will be doing this in the near future, as the wind noise on the highway is starting to get almost as loud as my Mud Grapplers ...........

Is this a Mopar header replacement kit, or aftermarket?

Anthony

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

Do you have a part number for this?
And a price?

Does it fix the A-pillar leak or are there more parts required for that?

Great write up!
Thanks!
post #5 of 24 Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Not sure which part number is correct. Go to the dealer and have them look up the part #'s and see which is which I am assuming the first one. I bought mine on ebay for around 115.00 I think.

TSB:
23-010-09 Rev A - Wind-Noise

2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler JK's

Part Numbers Replaced:
68049276AB HEADER-FOLDING TOP
68003640AB STAYPAD-FOLDING TOP

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 AM

hard to see in the pic but email them and ask them if it is metal or plastic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...Q5fAccessories

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 24 Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for the info!!
Much appreciated!
post #8 of 24 Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

My new header didn't come with any replacement sunrider parts. I'm putting it on this weekend!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-22-2011, 02:09 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

My new header didn't have those sunrider parts either but the difference was night and day!

I flopped the Sunrider part open and swapped mine out while I stood in the seats with the heater blowing. It was about 30* the night I did it and in the dark is not easy. LOL!

Marcus

post #10 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
bb
Wheeler

I hate resurrect an older thread, but i found this while seaching for some info on my noisy leaking soft top. my question is, Is this replacement header thing the same for both a 2 door and a 4 door? Quadratec seams to have this part and they only list it for a 4 door. Obviously I need one for a two door hence my asking. thanks
BB

See, you think I give a shit. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a shit? That's why I look interested
post #11 of 24 Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM

I read the TSB and it doesn't say anything about a 2 door or 4 door. So I am assuming they are the same.

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 24 Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
bb
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I read the TSB and it doesn't say anything about a 2 door or 4 door. So I am assuming they are the same.
DUH! i never though to read the TSB. thanks

See, you think I give a shit. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a shit? That's why I look interested
post #13 of 24 Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Wheeler

I am REALLY digging up an old thread. Sorry. But I have to. My wind noise on my 2007 JK is beyond awful at anything over 30 mph.

I have the top off my JK and have been looking over the pics from the first post. I am going to get the parts I need to do this header swap tomorrow but am a little confused at what is to be replaced.

Do I only need to replace what the OP calls the "new metal support header for the crappy plastic one that was on there?"

In other words all I need from JEEP is the metal support header. I swap it out for the crappy plastic one and all should be good? Just the one part?

Thanks!
post #14 of 24 Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 AM
bb
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3jeeps View Post
I am REALLY digging up an old thread. Sorry. But I have to. My wind noise on my 2007 JK is beyond awful at anything over 30 mph.

I have the top off my JK and have been looking over the pics from the first post. I am going to get the parts I need to do this header swap tomorrow but am a little confused at what is to be replaced.

Do I only need to replace what the OP calls the "new metal support header for the crappy plastic one that was on there?"

In other words all I need from JEEP is the metal support header. I swap it out for the crappy plastic one and all should be good? Just the one part?

Thanks!
Yes you are correct. Just the metal piece. I replaced mine about a year ago. I haven't had an issue with noise or leaks since then. I got that part from quadratec. Good luck with it.
BB

post #15 of 24 Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM

This thread was really helpful for me, so I thought I'd post my experience. The wind noise on my 07 Wrangler Unlimited X was killing me at highway speeds and during heavy while driving over 60mph I could feel rain spray on my arm from the center of the header. I recently replaced the OEM soft top with a BestTop Replace-a-Top and noticed that the header was actually bowed and cracked in the center of the plastic support. I purchased a Header Channel Kit (#68049276AB) from Quadratec for $138 shipped (http://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_9113_07.htm) - it went on extremely easily thanks to this thread and a video from Bestop which helped a lot (works for OEM tops too):

Bestop: attaching a windshield header - YouTube

The new header has cut the wind noise dramatically and no more spray during heavy rains. And the all-metal header just feels more sturdy and less cheap than the OEM equipment. I'd definitely recommend removing the soft top completely prior to installation, laying it on a moving pad on a flat surface like kerryp did, and using plenty of masking tape as directed in the video. The result is worth every penny, especially considering the amount I just spent on the soft top and I'm pretty sure my ears appreciate the end of all that abuse from wind noise. If you're thinking about doing it, just do it. It's time and money well spent.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Soft top window header replacement.

I just replaced the header today and I cannot say enough about how this mod cut down on the wind noise. I can actually hear the radio now!
post #17 of 24 Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Is the metal replacement from Jeep? The stock one on mine has broken right next to the passenger side latch. Leaks like crazy etc now. I was surprised it was made out of plastic. Would like to know the best place to buy if not from the dealer. Kinda skeptical of eBay though. Thanks for the help
post #18 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM

I knew there was a solution...

New Jeep owner here . I drove my new Jeep away topless and once I put the top on it was louder than going topless. After two days of searching the threads I found this and this will solve all my noise problem. PERFECT !
post #19 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 AM

This replacement worked great the front of my top is now nice and tight to the frame. The noise difference is amazing, now I have a different noise, but not nearly as loud and annoying and I bet once the new parts "back in the sun" for a while it will be fine.

Update - the new noise is now gone, as is the super small leak I had.

Last edited by sams; 07-02-2014 at 04:43 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM

I got my brother's 2007 Jeep Wrangler from him recently and the top has a little air leak thanks to what we found out was a bent header assembly. Is this different than the header piece you guys are talking about here?
post #21 of 24 Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePortly View Post
I got my brother's 2007 Jeep Wrangler from him recently and the top has a little air leak thanks to what we found out was a bent header assembly. Is this different than the header piece you guys are talking about here?
No-

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #22 of 24 Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I've been trying to sell the thing but I want to get that fixed first and dealerships have told me the piece costs $700. I just checked eBay and found what I think is right at a fraction of the price...
post #23 of 24 Old 03-13-2015, 10:42 AM

I just replaced the header bar on my 2007 2 door Wrangler. Wow, what a difference! 90 mph and can hear a pin drop inside the Jeep!

The part # is 68049276AB and I got mine from discountmopar.com for a little over $100.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Actually very easy to install

I did mine a little while ago, and you *don't* need to drill out rivets, you *don't* need tape and you *don't* need glue. It's just Philips screws, the whole way through.

You can get the part here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_9113_07.htm
or even cheaper here, which is where I got it: http://www.factorymoparparts.com/68049276ab.html

$109 not bad. They delivered it to a local shop and I had to pick it up but no biggie.

No drilling needed. Just remove all the screws you can find, and carefully finagle the soft top off the posts. It'll go, just give it some thought. Don't drill out the rivets! Remember what you did, because you have to do the opposite once you put the new part on. Here's what it looked like disassembled. You can see at the bottom, the plastic part that is identical to the old one. That's fine.

Here's the other part. The new steel part is on the left, and the old plastic part is on the right:

That's a lot of screws. Keep the different sizes separate and remember where they go!

So worth it. That sucker is on there tight!

Basically this changes the wind noise on a windy highway from "good lord the roof is about to be torn off!" to "meh, that's not so bad."

Good luck, be patient, it's totally going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode