trimming rear pinch seam and rubi rails - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
trimming rear pinch seam and rubi rails

this is all pretty straight forward but I figured what the heck, I didnt see a write up in the index for it.

if you have put 35"+ tires on your JK, you've probably noticed that silly pinch seam hanging down in the back and if you have them, how close the back of factory rubi rails come to the tire.
my 35" grapplers clear by millimeters at full stuff with poly 4.5" springs
you can see the sharpie line I sketched to get an idea where to cut aftr removing the rails

removing the rails is easy and only takes a couple of minutes
6x 10mm nuts through the pinch seam and 3x 13mm bolts from the bottom up into the body.
after you have it off, the plastic plug in the back is held in place by a christmas tree plug going up from the bottom. Go ahead and cut the head off instead of fighting with it, you won't be reusing it.

then use your favorite spark making device - angle grinder, plasma cutter, sawzall or a chop saw.
I used a chop saw - I guess you could use a hack saw if you were desperate but the steel is pretty thick and it would take several hours.

use the piece you cut off to mark the other side so they match. I also hit the raw steel with some spray on bedliner to prevent rust.

when you're done cutting and painting, smear some black rtv on the plastic plug and pop it back in.

Now is a good time to repaint the whole rail while its off since you've probably scratched and gashed the shit out of the bottom of it.

ok, while those are drying, lets address the pinch seam.

this one takes a little guts and a sawzall with a metal blade.
or a die grinder, or an angle grinder or you can just use a hammer and bend it back.

I marked a line with a sharpie and it took about 20 seconds with a sawzall.

then I took a pair of pliers and pinched the seam back closed and coated the raw edge/packed the void with some black rtv to seal it.

bolt your rails back on and you're done!

Whole deal took about an hour to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Granite Guru

Wow! I just did the same thing yesterday after putting on the 35's and seeing how close everything was at that spot. After I cut the pinch seam, I used a hand file and filed it down to a nice smooth rounded finish. Good write up! I agree, if anyone tries to cut the rubi rails with a hack saw, it will take them some time, and probably many blades!! I used the same saw as you did to cut the rails.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Bending the pinch seam is not the best.
For me it did not go far enough at all.
I cut off a good 2" horizontal, 3" vertical of pinch seam...
Fill the hole with epoxy. Paint. Done.
I also cut 2½" off the rails...

Kinda like that:

Wrong:

Good:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
Bending the pinch seam is not the best.
For me it did not go far enough at all.
you just needed to use a bigger hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode