Removal of stock radio from a 2011 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Removal of stock radio from a 2011 JK

This is a pretty easy install, it is plug and play. You pop the connections out of the old radio and put them right in to the new. If you are like me you will need to also purchase an antenna for the Sirius radio. I will tell you that if your radio is a Sirius radio then you must buy a Sirius antenna. An XM antenna will not fit…it is a gnats ass too big…trust me I know.

You first must remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel, take care when removing the plastic pieces, they are held on by plastic tabs which can easily break if you are not careful.

There are a total of four 7mm hex screws.
Two are under the panel under the steering wheel.
One on the left and one on the right

The third screw is under the cubby hole between the air vents. You gotta tug at it to pull the cubby out to get to the screw under it.

The fourth and final screw is under the little tray on top of the dash, take out the rubber bottom piece to get to the screw.

Now once all the screw are removed you can pull out the dash panel. Tug it gently towards yourself, again be care the dash is held on with plastic tabs. Sorry forgot to take a picture of the removed dash assembly
With the dash assembly removed you can now remove your radio, just unscrew the 4 screws holding it on. Disconnect the connectors on the back of the radio and slide it out.

I installed the Sirius antenna above the passenger seat on the roll bar. My antenna had a magnet on it so I just put the antenna receiver on the top of the roll bar. Then I ran the wire under the foam padding that surrounds the roll bar.

I also removed the glove box, I squeezed in the sides and it came right out....no screws

I removed the plastic corner piece at the windshield, careful more plastic tabs, and fed the wire down the plastic molding into the side of the dash..I threaded the wire through the glove box and up to the radio.

I removed the side panel of the dash again more tabs.

There was excess wire so I gathered up the extra and neatly zip tied it to the heat and air duct. You may find another place that is better, but that is where I put it.

Put the connectors onto the back of your new radio and plug in the antenna. Put all the pieces and screws back onto the dash and you are done. In total I paid $100 including shipping for a near if not new 6cd Sirius radio that still has 6 months of Sirius still on it, and $40.00 for the antenna.

Jerseypeach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode