Who's ever cracked open a Warn 9.5ti? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker
Who's ever cracked open a Warn 9.5ti?

I got a in-cab winch control panel from 12voltguy.com about 2 months ago, and I'm finally getting around to installing it. I couldn't really find any info on how to open a Warn 9.5ti, so I went into this pretty much blind. Probably best to remove the winch, depending on your bumper/mounting point.

Remove the motor shroud, (4 small allen bolts)

On the other side remove the 3 allen bolts shown. ( I had already pulled the bottom one in the pic)

Finally, remove the 2 allen bolts and the "hidden" allen bolt underneath the motor shroud. AFTER ALL BOLTS ARE REMOVED, THE WINCH CAN SEPARATE, so be careful!

The 4 bolts that are closest to the FRONT of the winch (2 on each side) can be removed if you want to just get at the solenoid bank. I wanted my connections for my winch control to be closer to the handheld input for weather purposes.

This last picture is a close up of the connections... You need a test light to determine IN and OUT.

Putting this back together can be tricky, as gear teeth have to line up. This plastic box was a terrible place to work, and a flat surface that doesn't dip under the weight of the winch would've helped. Everything works as it should, both with the handheld and the in-cab winch. All that's left to do is put the panel in the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 02-10-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Toss some silicon on there while you have it apart keep it like new inside

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

I wouldn't bother siliconing the cover. There are two large holes on the bottom of the bridge. As it sits, water will get in there, but it won't hurt anything and will drain out. If you silicone it, you better make sure it's completely sealed or water will get in and have a hard time getting out. Warn doesn't seal them so it's not needed.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
KJV
Granite Guru

You could have just taken the front two solenoid cover bolts out and rotated the cover back, saving all that bullshit hassle.

edit-sorry was reading Hsi, not ti, don't know shit about them.

Last edited by KJV; 02-08-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb fucker
post #5 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I'll bet you had yourself a big "Oh shit" moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
I'll bet you had yourself a big "Oh shit" moment!
I changed the whole OP, so people are gonna think you're crazy!

Hittnthebz is talking about when I removed almost all these bolts BEFORE removing the winch and then tried to take it out. The thing split into 3 pieces! FML!

Quote:
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice write up. Having done the in cab in my old TJ, this time around I just bought Warns wireless remote. It's much simpler and gives more options.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
so you gonna move this thing to the Write-up library so I can index it and delete this post??
Done, my good man.

Quote:
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM

Nice write up and just what I was looking for as I just bought a 9.5ti to replace my trusty but slow Smittybilt 8K winch. If I understand it correctly if I just remove the four front large allen bolts including the one hidden behind the motor cover then the solinoid cover will come off without the winch possibly splitting apart.

Even though I have used more of those scotch connectors over the years than I would care to admit, it seems to me that using an eye terminal directly on the solenoid connections would be a little more weather resistant.

I have two 12-Volt Guy winch panels in my Jeep now. One is a dual control that allows me to tie both batteries together for improved winching or Jump start myself if the system battery goes dead. The winch control is tiny and next to the battery switches. The other winch control I have is probably similar to yours and I mounted it with a lot of other controls including my ARB lockers and Dual Voltage readouts into my Rockhard 4X4 sport cage header. What I really like about having the winch control mounted up there is that forward and back on the winch control switch is out and in on the cable. For people who arent inclined to spend much time wiring their 4X4 then the wireless control has it's advantages. Nothing prevents you from having both and the wireless is nice when you are winching solo and re-wrapping the cable on the spool. The controls are a small investment compared to the winch itself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode