HD Customs Sport Switchblade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
HD Customs Sport Switchblade

I do not have a 100% of the pics I suppose I could have taken but I learned a few things that I think could be helpful to those that plan to install this bumper. I will say that all of the holes lined up perfectly and the bumper is nice and tight and the tire sits low enough I can still see out the rear window.

The first few pics are where the bumper mounts to the frame. You can see the outer two on each side are real easy. The 4 on the back of the frame are the same that are used for the tow hitch or hook, these holes need to be expanded just a little to fit the new bolts. The two that are not so obvious are on the underside of the frame. You will see one bolt on each side at the very rear of the frame. The pics are taken from underneath looking toward the drivers side and passenger side.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I recommend that you take out the two little bolts on the license plate mount if you ever plan to take the plate off. After you install the bumper you will not be able to get to them.
The holder will stay in place without these and it does not rattle.
Attached Images

post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Next you can place the swing out. This is very easy.... Grease it up move it back and forth and put some more grease.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Next you will put the backer plate on the back door. It uses the factory bolt locations and is very easy. Before you do this make sure to put on the bottom bump stop for the swing out. If you don't you will have to take the plate off of the door. Trust me The bump stop I am referencing is a small rectangular piece with plastic on top. The plastic ends up being the slide for the swing out.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

forgot the pics...
Attached Images

post #6 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

In the pics above you will see the bracket that holds the tire. Once you figure out how far in or out you want it you will have to drill a hole to put the bolt in. I found that with a 35 I have the bracket in as far as it will go. The other thing you will notice in the pic is the link between the swing away and the mounting plate. This should be slightly elevated from the swing away down toward the mounting plate. To measure how long to make this is the tough part. Basically when you close the door this tightens the swing away to the door. Make it long enough so that when you close the door just the last few inches of the door closing is tight. If you make it too short you will pull on the door.
When the door is open you will have a gap between the swing away and the mounting plate but when closed this gap is gone.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

forgot pic.... This is open when closed the gap is gone.
Attached Images

post #8 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Overall very easy to install but does not have any instructions.... I promised HD Customs I would post up pics so here they are I will pull the jeep out today to get more pics now that I have the tire on.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

More pics to show with tire and out the rear window.
Attached Images

post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Very Nice! I am working on fattening up my piggy bank so i can get the Switchblade too.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to rutdigger

How tight is that thing against the tailgate? Does it move or rattle?

2015 Stone White Unlimited Rubicon
To many mods to list..lol
Visit my website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Wheeler

Wish the Sport had the backup lights

Soon to be JK Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I do not have any rattles from it at this point and it seems very tight.
I think you can get a sport with lights? You might want to ask if that is what you like.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal View Post
Wish the Sport had the backup lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I do not have any rattles from it at this point and it seems very tight.
I think you can get a sport with lights? You might want to ask if that is what you like.
I dont believe you can get the sport with lights. Here is the PDF that has all the info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Customs LLC View Post
Here is a link to our Product Information PDF Packet. It's loaded with specifications, photos, options and pricing information, as well as ordering procedure and shipping information.

HD SwitchBlade Info
post #15 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I see... You can get the stubby version with the lights, it is not technically called the sport. Looks almost the same.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutdigger View Post
How tight is that thing against the tailgate? Does it move or rattle?
Not sure of your question or if maybe you don't understand...

It is connected to your tailgate, actually connected via a bolt to a plate attached to your tailgate. The arm of the carrier has a plated that rides up to a matched plate on the plate mounted to the tailgate.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #17 of 21 Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Not sure of your question or if maybe you don't understand...

It is connected to your tailgate, actually connected via a bolt to a plate attached to your tailgate. The arm of the carrier has a plated that rides up to a matched plate on the plate mounted to the tailgate.
I understood just fine...I saw the plate that it rides on..I also saw the only "link bolt" that is connecting it to the tailgate with tension. These types of link setups rely on a "candalever effect"....so, that is why I asked..does it move..AKA rattle. All metal flexes to a point..how much does this setup flex...

Visit my website:

post #18 of 21 Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I understood just fine...I saw the plate that it rides on..I also saw the only "link bolt" that is connecting it to the tailgate with tension. These types of link setups rely on a "candalever effect"....so, that is why I asked..does it move..AKA rattle. All metal flexes to a point..how much does this setup flex...
The geometry of the carrier relative the tail gate puts them in somewhat of a bind just before closure. Once closed they are tight... no movement.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #19 of 21 Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Great question! I'm glad you asked because we have put MANY MANY hours of engineering, research and refinement into the design to make it as solid as possible. You're correct in regards to the operational physics associated with a synchronized tailgate-to-carrier design, there is indeed a cantilever effect that takes place. The success of the HD design is in our approach and solution to the main issue: How do we limit the movement of the carrier when closed, yet still allow for successful chassis-to-body movement while off-road. The answer lies in our rather over-engineered GatePlate design featuring our Unique GateSpine and GateRamp technology, as well as our MASSIVE 2" solid spindle design. The combination of these key design features is what really sets the SwitchBlade apart from our competition. We knew that there would be nominal forces applied to the tailgate, it's inherent to the mechanics of this design, what we were concerned with was ensuring that all of these forces are spread equally throughout the entire tailgate. With the HD SwitchBlade Series Tire Carriers we were able to virtually eliminate all movement in the design with no rattles. We can say that it's the most solid synchronized tailgate-to-carrier design that we've seen. We encourage everyone to come see for themselves at this years Easter Jeep Safari in Moab Utah, we're excited to display our products and meet some friendly new faces!

-Jarrett
HD Customs LLC

The Worlds most ADVANCED JK Bumpers ever designed

Visit our new website

Become an HD Customs
fan!!
post #20 of 21 Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Customs LLC View Post
Great question! I'm glad you asked because we have put MANY MANY hours of engineering, research and refinement into the design to make it as solid as possible. You're correct in regards to the operational physics associated with a synchronized tailgate-to-carrier design, there is indeed a cantilever effect that takes place. The success of the HD design is in our approach and solution to the main issue: How do we limit the movement of the carrier when closed, yet still allow for successful chassis-to-body movement while off-road. The answer lies in our rather over-engineered GatePlate design featuring our Unique GateSpine and GateRamp technology, as well as our MASSIVE 2" solid spindle design. The combination of these key design features is what really sets the SwitchBlade apart from our competition. We knew that there would be nominal forces applied to the tailgate, it's inherent to the mechanics of this design, what we were concerned with was ensuring that all of these forces are spread equally throughout the entire tailgate. With the HD SwitchBlade Series Tire Carriers we were able to virtually eliminate all movement in the design with no rattles. We can say that it's the most solid synchronized tailgate-to-carrier design that we've seen. We encourage everyone to come see for themselves at this years Easter Jeep Safari in Moab Utah, we're excited to display our products and meet some friendly new faces!

-Jarrett
HD Customs LLC
Sooooo, by inserting two peices of UHMW on the spine and the ramp you are able to keep this main arm from moving during body/cab roll? That is interesting acutally. I have not seen any other manufacturer use UHMW..very clever... Great work guys!

Visit my website:

post #21 of 21 Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Granite Guru

anyone know how much this setup weighs? My guess would be 100+

I love the look of the sport! I also wish it was available with the back up lights though! Probably wouldnt be to hard though to rig some up. I was thinking those small round LED lights that gen-right has on their website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode