write-up: Fuel can install without a tire carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
write-up: Fuel can install without a tire carrier

PROBLEM: tire carriers that allow for fuel can storage screw up my departure angles and visibility on the trails I like to run, but 40" tires eat up gas like crazy. I don't want to store gas inside the jeep, but also don't want a big Jerry can hanging somewhere outside the Jeep.

SOLUTION: RotopaX makes very nice low-profile cans that can be mounted almost anywhere with a little creativity. I looked at various mounting locations and found that the tailgate hinges offer a perfect location.

THE PROTOTYPE: I cut two 3" pieces of 1.5" C-Channel, and one 12"x6" aluminum plate. I drilled holes on the channels to attach to the inside hinge bolts, with the channel opening facing down so you can fit a box wrench in there to tighten the bolts. I then positioned the aluminum plate over the channel pieces, and drilled holes to bolt the plate on. Finally, I centered the Rotopax gas can over the aluminum plate so it did not interfere with the lights, license plate, or operation of the tailgate and marked the center hole with a pencil. I then centered the Rotopax mount over the pencil mark, drilled and bolted that to the aluminum plate. Please keep in mind that this is just a rough prototype that I threw together in about an hour to see if my idea would work. I will be fabricating and welding together something better as I have the time (between about 100 other unfinished projects). The entire mount can be installed/removed with 2 bolts in about 3 minutes.

This picture shows the C-channel and aluminum plate mounted to the tailgate. The mount looks tilted because the Jeep is parked on an incline in my driveway, but it sits perfectly parallel with the tailgate.
Name:  rotopax 1.JPG
Views: 8095
Size:  37.9 KB

In this picture, you can see how I bolted the RotopaX mount to the aluminum plate after centering the fuel can on the mount.
Name:  rotopax 2.JPG
Views: 16081
Size:  52.3 KB

As you can see, the can does not obstruct the lights, license plate, or view through the rear window.
Name:  rotopax 3.JPG
Views: 8193
Size:  53.0 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Close up of RotopaX installed. Mount is very sturdy and solid. you can grab the mounted can and shake the entire Jeep without any movement of the can.
Name:  rotopax 4.JPG
Views: 18621
Size:  91.8 KB

The thin profile of the RotopaX keeps everything close and does not interfere with departure angle.
Name:  rotopax 5.JPG
Views: 9446
Size:  47.7 KB

The can does not interfere with the operation of the tailgate at all.
Name:  rotopax 6.JPG
Views: 6201
Size:  49.4 KB
post #3 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

very very cool!

how many gallons is the jug?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That is cool. You should have the mods move this to the write up section and add it to the directory.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
very very cool!
how many gallons is the jug?
Thats the 2-gal. I also have the 3-gal and it fits the same. With the roto mounts, you can also double stack two 2-gal cans.

All I really need is a little 2-3 gal reserve to give me a little extra security for those close calls. my main priority is to keep it tight and sturdy.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Nice.... turned out great DD.

Where I was showing you were I keep mine... you could still do some of those longer Rotopax "cans" there for other liquids... water or more apt for the IOR club requirements, booze.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Good job, it looks great.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Where I was showing you were I keep mine... you could still do some of those longer Rotopax "cans" there for other liquids
Yep, I was looking at that after you mentioned it. I can interlock two 2-gal sized cans and mount them to the inside of the tailgate and still clear my 40" spare tire. Im thinking of the water and storage Rotopax for inside the Jeep.

Name:  rotowaterstorage.jpg
Views: 6218
Size:  24.2 KB
post #9 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Great writeup! Did you mount each c channel with 1 or 2 bolts each?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #10 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
Great writeup! Did you mount each c channel with 1 or 2 bolts each?
Just one bolt from each hinge. I used the inside bolt (bolt toward the center of the tailgate).

I suppose you could just as easily use both hinge bolts, but I didn't feel it was necessary and would make the mount look odd because the rotopax has to be oriented more toward the center of the tailgate.

When I get around to making a final version, I think I am going to use 1" channel to suck the mount up closer to the tailgate. This should still provide enough room to get a wrench in from the bottom of the channel to install/remove the mount.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
That is cool. You should have the mods move this to the write up section and add it to the directory.
x2 very creative... you can DIY with thread tools and I'll add it to the index

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Yep, I was looking at that after you mentioned it. I can interlock two 2-gal sized cans and mount them to the inside of the tailgate and still clear my 40" spare tire. Im thinking of the water and storage Rotopax for inside the Jeep.

Attachment 29336
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

One of your favorite booze and one of your favorite mixer. I bet you could get a long can in also (two stacked).... the extra one gets the water for when you are hungover the next morning.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
-T-
Rock God

Very cool! I like it

I laugh, I smile, I bounce..............JEEP
post #14 of 14 Old 10-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Hello, this is exactly what i need, do you sell this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode