Rough Country BB: Before, after, tips - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rough Country BB: Before, after, tips

Put my lift on this weekend, with the help of two friends. It took us about 5 hours but we weren't in a hurry.

Stock

Lifted It sits level now

With 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs

I added the rear sway bar links (and moved stock rears to the front) and the rear track bar bracket. Here are my tips, since I wasn't considerate enough to do a full write up.
1. We used a cordless impact wrench to loosen anything it would reach, maybe the greatest tool ever for saving knuckle flesh.
2. The rear goes on pretty easy, and the nuts and bolts that hold the rear spacers in place aren't too hard to reach and hold in place while you get the threads started.
3. When doing the front, don't be afraid to really push down on the axle to get the springs back in. Just keep an eye on brake and ABS lines.
4. The front brake line extensions are a PITA. After doing the rear ones I thought it was going to be easy enough, but the front ones are not nearly as flexible. On the passenger side I had to pull some of brake line horizontally and then straighten out some of the factory bends (Be extremely careful not to pinch the line shut).

On the driver's side you need to pull the line out of the clip, under the hood, just beneath the master cylinder. Then remove the top clip that holds the ABS sensor to the brake line, inside the wheel well.

5. I never could figure out which one of the front shock relocation brackets goes on which side (and the directions lead me to believe they would only fit one side). My buddy has his with the part number side facing out outwards, so that is the way we did mine.
6. I had a little rubbing on the passenger side rear brake line, bent it out a little and problem solved. This didn't rub when I first put it back on the ground, but after a little driving it became an issue.

7. Ground clearance at the skid plates went from 9 1/2" to 12 1/4". Not sure what that does to break over angle, but as a vertical distance it is significant.
8. Read the directions and use these tips, and other people's, and anyone competent enough to change their own oil can handle this modification.

Flexing: This is with the sway bars disconnected. No rubbing and the brake lines still have slack.

Thanks to Anthony as WS Offroad for answering my questions on a Saturday.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.

Last edited by Stopher; 04-11-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Big improvement! Now add some MT tires to that baby Nice JK.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks, I thought so to. Aiming for 285s, probably KM2s.

Last edited by Stopher; 02-24-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Granite Guru

looks good, i got those KM2's 285's and they ride great...and my lift a little less than yours. you'll like them
post #5 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I can't wait, just have to see what the tax man does to me?

post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

Nice write up. It helped me with my install this past weekend.

I did not use the front brake line extensions on the front. Although there is hardware for all 4 brake lines, that step is missing from the enclosed instructions as well as the on-line version. I assume it's step 9 as that one is missing. Once I re-attached the front shocks the brake lines seem to be OK in the stock location at full extension. I was worried about the staightening out the factory bends. We shall see if the stock location works.

I did the install by myself, the only way I could push the axles down to reinstall the springs was to use the scissor jack from the JK to push down on the axles.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Coonasian

Garage

Helpful write up, thanks, and your JK is really looking good!
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Glad to help, going to add a few more pictures to pick up where the printed ones left off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Top View Post
Nice write up. It helped me with my install this past weekend.

I did not use the front brake line extensions on the front. Although there is hardware for all 4 brake lines, that step is missing from the enclosed instructions as well as the on-line version. I assume it's step 9 as that one is missing. Once I re-attached the front shocks the brake lines seem to be OK in the stock location at full extension. I was worried about the staightening out the factory bends. We shall see if the stock location works.

I did the install by myself, the only way I could push the axles down to reinstall the springs was to use the scissor jack from the JK to push down on the axles.
So you didn't use the extensions on the front brake lines? And at full extension it's ok? That's good to know, but I haven't had a chance to flex mine out since the install.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Helpful write up, thanks, and your JK is really looking good!
Covington? Born and raised in Mandeville, my parents still have a house down near the harbor.

post #10 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
Glad to help, going to add a few more pictures to pick up where the printed ones left off.

So you didn't use the extensions on the front brake lines? And at full extension it's ok? That's good to know, but I haven't had a chance to flex mine out since the install.
Yea, by full extension I mean the Jeep still on blocks without tires, front shocks attached and axle dropped as far as possible. I assume this would be a full extention, unless the brake line would be subject to a further pull from some wierd flex angle on the trail. Am I correct here?

BTW, thanks for the addtional pics.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

You're welcome for the pics, I think they make the explanation easier. I have heard "full droop" and assumed that was sitting on stands, hanging, like you describe. Flex would be one side up, the other all the way down, possibly still off the ground. I don't know if droop or flex goes lower, maybe someone can chime in and help us out. In my mind they would be the same.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 AM

So do the sway bar links not come normally with the kit I just ordered the RC 2.5 coil kit...So I need to order sway bar links?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode