Poly Performance Fuel tank skid plate install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker
Poly Performance Fuel tank skid plate install

I started without my camera, so these pics are of the actual install. Poly Performance recommends removing the passenger rear coil and the driveshaft at the pinion. For this, I only removed the coil and had no issues. Before dropping the tank, the passenger rear lower control arm bolt at the frame needs to be flush with the CA mount, so remove the nut and back it out about an inch and a half.

Here's the pieces. Like the instructions said, I made the 3/8" bolts (allen heads) finger tight and left the 1/2" hex bolts really loose.

Here's a pic of the dent that I had from the failure of the factory skid. I'm hoping that it'll pop itself out.

Assembled and ready to install...

I was able to get this done with my floor jack, but I had to really lift awkwardly, plus I put a few scratches in the powdercoat... Big deal, It's a skidplate! I didn't rattle can because there was no bare metal.

This picture shows the fuel pump hook up. It's a connection just like our doors, so no need to explain it. (

Here are the 2 connections in the front that need to be reconnected. They're different, but they just push together. I had to really work squeezing them off to drop the tank, but my li'l fingers were cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's the part where it got tricky for me. I'm already running the Poly Performance transmission skid, so the front Fuel tank skid has to rest on top of the Transmission skid. I was able to get it up there, and the rear of the assembly level through trial and error. Remember, I was by myself and another set of hands would of really helped out, but I got it done. This presented the problem of starting the two 3/8" countersunk bolts that attached the front of the fuel skid to the rear of the transmission skid.

The only way to reach it is through an access beside the passenger downpipe. I have skinny arms so I was able to reach, but it was extremely tight.

Then, I couldn't get the nut over the transmission crossmember and I didn't have my magnet? Whatever will I do? I got my trusty tube o' Goop and tacked it to my finger... with excellent results.

Next, I made the connections at the rear of the tank, first pic is the evap, then the fuel filler hose and I'm not sure what the other one is in the second pic. There is also a connection at the top of the tank on the line with the T valve that I didn't get a picture of.

Finally, I tightened everything down. I should mention that it took a little raising and lowering of the assembly to get the bolts started. It also uses the stock mounting bolts.

I had every intention of installing my transfer case skid today, but the playoffs were on. Total time of install was about 6 hours, but totally worth it. This thing is really thick and heavy (TWSS) and I fully expect it to work as designed. Oh, here's a link to my Poly Performance Oil pan skid install. https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41083

Quote:

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 01-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

reserve

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Nice job great write up. I have been looking at these pp skids as my factory gas tank skid is bent to crap. I like this one as it completely replaces the factory one. My OEM skid is so bent in the front end I dont think I could just install a new transfer case skid without some serious hammer work. How thick is this skid and about how heavy?

2010 Rubicon Unlimited - AEV hood w/ hoodlifts : Rugged Ridge front skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite & RICO DIY Rails: Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor PRO : Skyjacker Nitro's : Poly Performance rear LCA skids/shock relo : Injen power-flow CAI : aFe Machforce 3" CAT back : Diablosport Predator : SuperWinch EPi9.0S.
...suffering from a small Jeep addiction.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM

by chance compare weight of stock skid to poly fuel skid?

post #6 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I'd probably say a significant, if I were a betting man i'd peg it at about a 50 or 60lb difference at a minimum.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode